Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clutch problem ?

ROBBOT
06-21-2004, 07:55 AM
I just got a 62 falcon, engine/trans/clutch (170cid 3 sp manual0 were rebuilt 4 years ago and have ~1400 miles on them. Initially I always had to double clutch to go from 1st to 2nd, getting into first also required a double clutch and you have to go to 3rd first then 1st. I tried adjusting the clutch but I am at the end of the adjustment threads. This helped going from 1st to second but I still have to double clutch/ got to third then first. I rebuilt the column shifter and adjusted the linkage. I was going to replace the clutch/pressure plate and bearing, in hopes this will give me more pedal adjustment and fix the double clutching requirement.

Am I on the right track or do all falcon with manual trans act like this.

Where is the best place to find clutch and pressure plate, auto zone list 2 different ones 9 1/2" and 8 1/2' both special order. Which is correct?

Glamisman
08-31-2004, 11:26 PM
There are a few possible problems with your shifting problems. It appears that the engine and transmission are not fully disengaging due to either a dry/worn pilot bushing (the bushing in the end of the crankshaft), the clutch disk is getting held up on the splines due to being dry or just plain worn, the disk is worn/warped or there is an internal problem (syncros).
As far as which is correct, you are just going to have to measure it when u remove it.

Add your comment to this topic!