Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power loss, ring job????

thebigbr
06-10-2004, 04:23 PM
hey,
i have a 1991 plymouth acclaim with the 4 cyl in it, and 160,000kms. just the other day i was going up a hill when all of a sudden the engine bogged down and every time i tried to give it gas the gngine again would bogg down, so, i had to to go up the hill super slow. i took it to a mechanic, the spark plugs in cyl 1 and 4 were burnt out and my air filter had a hole burnt into it. he said that it needed a ring job,new piston rings. i burn a little oil because i do have to addd oil every once and a while, but i dont blow out bad smoke, its fairly clean. the engine seems to be idleing a little rough, more than usuall for that car. and the last time i had it in i had them do a compression check and all the cylinders checked out at 125. and the mechanic said that if i dont get new rings that this will happen every three months or so and it will eventually start to burn blue smoke, he advised me to get rid of the car. the frustrateing thing is that the car only has 160,000k on it and i have kept that cars maintenience on the ball, even down to oil changes.
just wondering if anyone has another opinion , im not sure whats really happening. or if anyone knows whats really going on :banghead:
thanx

Add your comment to this topic!