Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

speedometer all over the place

insomica
05-19-2004, 02:24 AM
Ever sence I got my Tracker the speedometer has been broken. When I'm driving it goes up fast and stays up. I can be going abot 30mph and it says I'm going 50mph or so. Not really sure what the speedometer really says. I stoped paying attion after awhile. It also bounces back and forth. (not a static postion).

I was wondering if I have to replace the speedometer or the cable. Also how would I go about doing either of the two.

1995 geo tracker
05-19-2004, 12:07 PM
if i recall the tracker dosen't have a cable it has a speed sensor , either the sensor is bad or the speedometer is shot , i would go ahead and swap it out for the one with the tach like you want and if it still dosen't work then you are going to need a new speed sensor

did you get my PM about the door handles?

insomica
05-22-2004, 04:53 PM
if i recall the tracker dosen't have a cable it has a speed sensor , either the sensor is bad or the speedometer is shot , i would go ahead and swap it out for the one with the tach like you want and if it still dosen't work then you are going to need a new speed sensor

did you get my PM about the door handles?

Where would that sensor be located at? How much would one cost?

1995 geo tracker
05-23-2004, 12:17 AM
it is on the side of the trans , not sure what side , check a haynes manual it will show you where it is , the only place to get one would be the dealer or a junk yard

Add your comment to this topic!