Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

the evil car

towdad28
05-06-2004, 10:28 AM
i have a 1993 olds achievia my problem started wednesday when i went to turn my car off every thing but the motor went off this is the first time i have seen any thing like this happen what should i look at to fix ??

Doug Rodrigues
05-09-2004, 03:41 PM
We need a little better explaination. You turned the ignition key off and the engine kept running normally? Is that what happened? OR did it lope along or kick backwards and die? If the engine continued to run normally, that's easy....you probably have a defective ignition switch. If it loped along like running on one or two cylinders and sounded like a pinging sound while it was doing it....probably pre-ignition caused by a hot spot in the cylinder head. For that, the first thing I'd try is a new set of spark plugs and a better quality of gasoline....or a different brand of gasoline. If the second problem continues, e-mail me and I'll tell you how to correct for that. It's a bit extreme, but something you can do yourself, and I don't mean blowing the carbon out at 120 mph!

Add your comment to this topic!