Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Images

igor@af
01-13-2002, 11:47 AM
We are encountering a little problem with too many people attaching images to their posts and the database getting pretty big pretty fast, so for the time being I have disabled image attachments to posts, but here is what everyone can do:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/upload/
Upload your file at the above URL, and it will give create a link to the image, then simply use the [img tag in your post to include the image.
If you have any questions please let me know.

This little problem should be solved in couple of days and everyone will be able to directly upload pictures with their posts again.

Thanks for your understanding. :)

a007apl
01-13-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by igor@af
We are encountering a little problem with too many people attaching images to their posts and the database getting pretty big pretty fast, so for the time being I have disabled image attachments to posts, but here is what everyone can do:
Upload your file at the above URL, and it will give create a link to the image, then simply use the [img tag in your post to include the image.

This little problem should be solved in couple of days and everyone will be able to directly upload pictures with their posts again.

I always liked images,but,now I intens post the images only if urgent,being thus some problem?

Jimster
01-13-2002, 04:45 PM
Allright chief

gang$tarr
01-13-2002, 05:17 PM
igor never answers my e-mails :(

:D

dejoux
01-13-2002, 05:17 PM
Not a problem

I always just linked to a URL anyway

Forsteen
01-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Maybe you should disable images in their signature. I think that bogs it down. That is just my opinion.

igor@af
01-13-2002, 06:52 PM
Images in the signatures are totally irrelevant :)

The problem right now is that all attached images are stored in the database, and this database was getting larger and larger by the minute. Linking to images from posts [or signatures] is no problem at all.

RazorGTR
01-13-2002, 07:07 PM
Ok Igor not a problem :)

Euro19
01-13-2002, 10:14 PM
not good, not good. I wanted to post a couple images, guess I´ll have to wait. :D

igor@af
01-13-2002, 10:17 PM
If you re-read the very first post of this thread you will understand that you can still post photos, but you will have to upload them here first: http://www.automotiveforums.com/upload/ and then link to them using the [img tag so that they show up as part of the post :)

jinushaun
01-13-2002, 10:20 PM
The problem right now is that all attached images are stored in the database, and this database was getting larger and larger by the minute. Linking to images from posts [or signatures] is no problem at all.
Storing the attachments in the database?!?! Sounds like bad DB design to me. Of course, you're not responsible for the forum code, so I really can't blame you.

Btw, about the attachment thing, duly noted. I use it just cuz I'm too lazy to upload the images to my server myself.

igor@af
01-13-2002, 10:24 PM
yep thats what im working on right now.. making it so that attachments are stored in a folder rather than db :)

Dezoris
01-13-2002, 11:07 PM
It is nice you are offering this as a free service. I would password your image database, otherwise you'll have people storing shit, and leeching the url's and using them at other boards etc.

I don't know if your boards bandwidth is being used to serve the pics, but...

Anoymous access to your servers image FTP is a very nice thought.
Just don't let it bite you in the ass :)

Chris
01-14-2002, 01:03 PM
I hope you get the old service up and running again soon. But I can wait.

Psman32@af
01-15-2002, 12:11 AM
i feel very very very very stupid for missing that so many times. now i see why sleep is so important.

jinushaun
01-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Dezoris
It is nice you are offering this as a free service. I would password your image database, otherwise you'll have people storing shit, and leeching the url's and using them at other boards etc.

I don't know if your boards bandwidth is being used to serve the pics, but...

Anoymous access to your servers image FTP is a very nice thought.
Just don't let it bite you in the ass :)
I agree, I'd say this is priority number one: prevent leeching.

igor@af
01-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, but anti leeching has been implemented since the very beginning that I started this service, so no worries :)

CorvetteMan
01-15-2002, 07:21 PM
Great job on the site it is addictive to me UM.. Iwas hoping that you would take a look at my site. click the link below to visit it. please email me comments/suggestions also any questions you have to nabil@chartertn.net

Speedzone Autos (http://coolstuff4u.20megsfree.com)

:apoke:

Porsche
01-16-2002, 06:15 PM
:wave: Okay

Dezoris
01-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, but anti leeching has been implemented since the very beginning that I started this service, so no worries :) Good, thats what I like to hear

igor@af
01-19-2002, 12:41 PM
Hopefully the direct attachment to the post feature will be back within the next couple of days. Thanks for your patience guys :)

Jordan G.
01-19-2002, 02:10 PM
Hey Igor...if you don't mind me asking, how big was your Attachment table getting?

taranaki
01-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Hopefully the direct attachment to the post feature will be back within the next couple of days. Thanks for your patience guys :)

No,..thank you Igor!!!!!!:D

89ssgti
01-19-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by taranaki

No,..thank you Igor!!!!!!:D
I second that.:)

a007apl
01-21-2002, 07:06 AM
*.PDF arquiv is valid?!(Text)

J SPEC SilEighty
01-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by dejoux
Not a problem

I always just linked to a URL anyway

G-Forces
01-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Is there reason why this only works under fricking IE? :mad:

I've tried it under Konqueror and Nutscrape (both linux and windows) and it doesn't work.

Munedog
01-23-2002, 10:40 PM

Understood. No problem. :D

Thanks,
Mune...

POWsk8er02
01-25-2002, 03:16 PM
why everytime i log in it says wrong password ive made about 8 accounts to get in???PLEASE HELP??

Euro19
01-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Humm, I tough you said a couple days, but it´s been already a couple weeks! damn...:bloated: :confused: :eek: :bloated:

G-Forces
01-29-2002, 11:58 AM
Igor is there any way you can make the upload page work with Netscape? Now everyone has/uses IE.

87Hybrid
02-02-2002, 12:20 PM
When is this going to be resolved?:confused:

Damien
02-02-2002, 05:33 PM
This sucks, i finally get on and now you can't post images. :mad:

igor@af
02-02-2002, 06:00 PM
Did you guys completely read the post?

You CAN upload images, but you have to do it here:

The script will give you the URL of your image, which you then link to in your post using the IMG tag.

Is that so hard to do?

This is just a temporary solution, but it is not bad at all.

BTW, there is not much point in whining about it.

G-Forces
02-05-2002, 08:08 AM
Well I will whine about this. It only works with IE and I don't have IE! Igor can you make the upload work with Netscape at least!

Euro19
02-06-2002, 07:35 PM
What´s going on? It´s been already like a month and I can´t post any image, how frustate and dissapointed I feel :( It seems this will still going a long way...

RevHappy Cowboy®
02-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by G-Forces

Well I will whine about this. It only works with IE and I don't have IE! Igor can you make the upload work with Netscape at least!

So download IE already! There is no point in fighting with Bill Gates, you WILL lose eventually, just give in like everyone else.

RevHappy Cowboy®
02-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Euro19
What´s going on? It´s been already like a month and I can´t post any image, how frustate and dissapointed I feel :( It seems this will still going a long way...

Learn how to read! Read the whole damn post before you whine, jeez people! Just upload your pic at http://www.automotiveforums.com/upload/ and copy the link the page gives you, then use the IMG tags in your posts to post the pics!

Euro19
02-08-2002, 12:22 PM
I allready know that you stupid, we all know!
The thing is that is not the same thing and don´t you realize that not even 50% of the people in this forum do and would click on the link? Is much easier just to post the picture in the forum and EVERYONE will see it,:flipa:

G-Forces
02-10-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by RevHappy Cowboy®

So download IE already! There is no point in fighting with Bill Gates, you WILL lose eventually, just give in like everyone else.
Excuse my french but NO FUCKING WAY! I'm not runing Windoze either so there is no IE for Linux! And I'm not forking over anymore money to M$ either.

Cbass
02-10-2002, 03:28 PM
Did you guys completely read the post?

You CAN upload images, but you have to do it here:

The script will give you the URL of your image, which you then link to in your post using the IMG tag.

Is that so hard to do?

This is just a temporary solution, but it is not bad at all.

Ah, Igor learns the joys of wading through the sea of blithering stupidity. (no offense to anyone :) )

I've just got on blitheringly stupid question. How do you get the rankings for things like moderators and techs? I know an awful lot about an awful lot of sports cars, and just love to answer questions and educate the masses.

igor@af
02-10-2002, 04:14 PM
BTW, just clear something up: my 'stop whining' comment was not directed towards Jason :) it was to people who were saying that they can't upload any images. I will try to figure out why it's not working with NS.

Thanks

igor@af
02-10-2002, 04:32 PM
The upload script should now work with Netscape as well as IE :)

G-Forces
02-12-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Cbass

How do you get the rankings for things like moderators and techs? I know an awful lot about an awful lot of sports cars, and just love to answer questions and educate the masses.
You don't need to be a mod to do that. Just go and help people out. If the need for more mods comes up then you might be considered if you've been helpful and conduct yourself in a good fashion.

BTW Igor! Thanks for fixing uploading with NS. :) Must have been an easy fix, only took you 15 mins. ;)

Cbass
02-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Sweet Fiero. I'm holding my breath for an 88 GT, then I'm going to do a 3.4 TDC swap. It's surprisingly easy, you just have to work out the wiring and switch the mounts.

Have you been to www.v8archie.com ? He used to just do swaps, but now they have a whole kit/custom thing going on. They chopped the roof a bit on a GT and added some rocker panel/scoops by International Research Motorsports, and the thing is just gorgeous. Keep the Fiero Faith

Cbass
02-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Oops, wrong window. Do I feel like an idiot or what. See what I was saying about the sea of stupidity?

CanadianG
02-23-2002, 08:28 AM
It's fine to link images tho right? I hope thats what u meant by using the [img] right?

Jay!
08-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Just in case anyone is still lost...

How to post pictures (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=343151#post343151)

;)

Ran
01-10-2003, 01:46 PM
it takes lots of time to do that man............:(

kris
01-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 123
it takes lots of time to do that man............:(

Free image hosting? No, it's not really that hard. :)

Ran
01-17-2003, 07:19 AM
come on man,:( anyway the server is not fast..... (and i have dsl.....)

Deakins
01-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Try once without downloading pr0n at the same time...

kris
01-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 123
come on man,:( anyway the server is not fast..... (and i have dsl.....)

lol, it is by faster than the way it was before. It is also faster than other forums I go to. If all you can do is complain about a free service. Why say anything at all?

tazdev
01-22-2003, 03:07 AM
I have no issues with the upload. And that is on a slow ass dial up:(

Add your comment to this topic!