Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2006 rx-7?

Soyo
04-20-2004, 11:45 PM
anyone know anything about the new rx-7 thats being rumored to come out in 06?

TSOPbananaforyou
06-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Only that it is rumored. Since nobody has responded I would suggest taking it to the rx7 forums here or going to rx7club.com and posting there about it. If I had the $$$ I would be intrested in it.

darkjedi04
07-05-2004, 04:07 AM
Soyo check this site out
http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2006fvf/index4.html
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?showtopic=2476
http://www.rx7city.com/2006rx7.htm
I dunno if you've looked at them or not but...here's a couple I found, looks promising that its gonna happen, there going to make it.

Layla's Keeper
07-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Mazda can only go wrong with a new RX-7 if they don't price it competitively against the 350Z, GTO, Crossfire, 330ci, and the other hot mid-line coupes. Let's face it. You need to load for bear if you're going to fight in that category. Chrysler learned the hard way how even a well put together and incredibly stylish car can flounder if it can't go toe to toe with the others.

VQuick
07-07-2004, 07:20 PM
The thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if the RX-7 is going to be targeting the next GT-R, as well as the NSX and Supra if they make production.

The RX-7 will need to be pretty potent to take them on, however. It would probably need a Renesis of at least 1.5L to get the needed power.

Implode
07-18-2004, 10:10 AM
I've read a little bit but no one is really sure if they are just rumors or not. I heard it is going to be a true sportscar like the old rx-7. They want it to have at least 300hp, and they are experimenting with trying to supercharge it.

YukiHime
09-12-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't think the RX-7 will be in the same catagory with the Z33, GTO, nor anything like that. It's supposed to be in the 40 Grand to 50 Grand area...

shawnwilliams
02-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Why would they bring back the rx-7 all it would be doing is compete with the rx-8 and plus there biulding a supercharged rx-8 for 2006

Dreamspawn
02-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Why would they bring back the rx-7 all it would be doing is compete with the rx-8 and plus there biulding a supercharged rx-8 for 2006

Why did chevy build the Z06 with a 427, why is dodge bringing a more potent viper coupe to keep with the competion. All of the major japnese bradns are defining themselves again and i love it. Nissian/infinite with the new GTR, Toyota/Lexus with the new "supra", Mistu with the evo's, subaru with the STi imprenza. Wouldn't make sense for mazda to jump on this band wagon also? Now if would just talk mitsu into another VR4 but with the $$ issue don't see it happening.

Layla's Keeper
02-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Not to mention a two seat, higher performance (and higher dollar) RX7 wouldn't compete with the RX8 any more than the Infiniti G35 Coupe competes with the G35 Sedan.

The big catch with reviving the RX7 nameplate is the nameplate actually has two very distinct personalities. On one hand, there's the first generation's lightweight, low cost, durable and fun personality. To revive that personality, they'd have to bring the RX7 in as a low cost two seat "shrunken" RX8. It'd be decontented, naturally aspirated, and have a taut suspension and would have competition in the vein of the Mustang GT and Nissan 350Z.

On the other hand, the RX7 also has a high-dollar, high-tech, super performance personality that's tied into the later 2nd generation and the revered 3rd generation. Turbocharging, big brakes, bigger tires, aggressive but classy lines, and a price to match. A new RX7 with this personality would confront Corvette, the new Boxster Coupe, SRT6 Crossfire, and the list goes on and on.

And the biggest problem is that choosing one personality will betray the other, and the sports car market right now is so volatile and so fickle that manufacturers with prestigious names in their back pocket (like Mazda with the RX7) almost can't afford to enter the market with the wrong decision.

Dreamspawn
02-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Be nice to see a revived 2nd gen turbo II. Idk why i just them more then the 3rd maybe its the body lines. Espically with a body kit i think the 2nd alot better. BTW nice point with the G35 i love that car just wish you could the attessa system on it that would be the icing on the cake.

TSOPbananaforyou
03-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Car and Driver says that the new 7 will be coming out with wider and taller housings to make a 1.6L engine. They also stated that it would be 300+HP

VAD0R
03-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Not to mention a two seat, higher performance (and higher dollar) RX7 wouldn't compete with the RX8 any more than the Infiniti G35 Coupe competes with the G35 Sedan.

The big catch with reviving the RX7 nameplate is the nameplate actually has two very distinct personalities. On one hand, there's the first generation's lightweight, low cost, durable and fun personality. To revive that personality, they'd have to bring the RX7 in as a low cost two seat "shrunken" RX8. It'd be decontented, naturally aspirated, and have a taut suspension and would have competition in the vein of the Mustang GT and Nissan 350Z.

On the other hand, the RX7 also has a high-dollar, high-tech, super performance personality that's tied into the later 2nd generation and the revered 3rd generation. Turbocharging, big brakes, bigger tires, aggressive but classy lines, and a price to match. A new RX7 with this personality would confront Corvette, the new Boxster Coupe, SRT6 Crossfire, and the list goes on and on.

And the biggest problem is that choosing one personality will betray the other, and the sports car market right now is so volatile and so fickle that manufacturers with prestigious names in their back pocket (like Mazda with the RX7) almost can't afford to enter the market with the wrong decision.

Mitsubishi already has a car to compete with the Subaru WRX STi its the Evo MR. And if Subaru really had money to throw around they would make another Alcyone.:icon16:

As for Mazda making another RX-7, if Mazda wins the Le Mans recently, the JDM GT races let me know or takes a shot at Formula 1 let me know.

Layla's Keeper
03-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Umm, where did I say anything about Subaru Imprezas or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions? :screwy:

Mazda has repeatedly stated their interest in producing another RX-7, and they've succeeded in winning the Sport Touring championship in the Grand Am Cup in America with the RX-8. Mazda just announced this weekend at Sebring that they'll be competing in the LMP2 category with a 3row rotary powered Courage C65 chassis.

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/58840_maz.jpg

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/15735/

With the RX-8 a success at reintroducing rotary power and a success in competition, a new Miata coming out of the factory, and interest in sports cars at an all time high, Mazda is frothing at the mouth to put a new RX-7 on the market.

VAD0R
03-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Ok you got me, Mazda will probably be producing a new RX-7. But since they are "expressing interest" now it will probably take at least 6 months to a year before they make an announcement, then it can take a couple more months before they show an official drawing of the concept, if they didn't make a drawing you might watch another year go by, then another year before they build a concept and yet another year before it comes onto the showroom floor. What this means is a new Mazda RX-7 will probably not be out until at least 2008, and that is if they get moving now.

N2OZeBozz
04-09-2005, 02:10 PM
http://img108.exs.cx/img108/4603/rx7new14kq.th.jpg (http://img108.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img108&image=rx7new14kq.jpg)

http://img103.exs.cx/img103/2370/2007rx76ob.th.jpg (http://img103.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img103&image=2007rx76ob.jpg)

I don't remember where I got these images but what do you think of these images?

crayzayjay
04-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Highly unoriginal looking car imo....

VAD0R
04-11-2005, 01:35 PM
The first one looks good but doesn't fit in with Mazda's current character. As for the second one looks like they photochoped the Mazda6 on to an RX-8 body, this would be the best look if Mazda ever decided to re-introduce the RX-5 Cosmo.

ghostrx7
04-11-2005, 04:52 PM
the new rx8 is a four seater without turbo, the new rx would be a 2 seater probably turbo. dont see why they would be competing.i would buy one in a heartbeat, but they could keep the rx8 for there families.

N2OZeBozz
04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
I don't think it will happen but would like to see the new RX7 with many elements from the FD3S. Its the best car. Doesn't have a single trace of fat in its body compared to other japanese hi-performance cars. Hope the next one won't lose all these features!

89tracerman
04-15-2005, 01:14 AM
the new rx8 is a four seater without turbo, the new rx would be a 2 seater probably turbo. dont see why they would be competing.i would buy one in a heartbeat, but they could keep the rx8 for there families.
I heard it was gonna be N/A and maybe, just maybe a supercharged option.

Dreamspawn
04-15-2005, 08:41 AM
But a NA version of a rx7 would kinda compete with the Rx8 even though it would be a 2 door ppl would say hey its a 2 door same car kinda thing. I'd say atleast 1 turbo. As for the weight comment that is kinda true but most japanese "Super cars" have awd which adds out the yang.

YukiHime
04-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Where are the retractable headlights?

IcESouL
07-10-2005, 08:34 PM
exactly why would anyone buy a rx8 over a 2dr turbocharged rx7?Why buy an rx8 for fitting your families there are plenty of other sedans out there that have more room and are probably more confrontable. Also i've never seen a family in a rx8. I mean the rx8 isn't used for car pooling or trunk space noticing that the seats don't fold down or the epa Fuel Economy. I think i would kill the sales of the rx8 if a new 7 comes out. Don't get me wrong I would love them to bring back the 7 but I don't think they will.

flatlander757
07-30-2005, 11:21 AM
why would they "bring back" Rotary eXperimental #7? wouldn't it be an RX9? :lol2:

Zachp911
08-06-2005, 01:43 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/team_mclaren/post-914-1060801030.jpg

Layla's Keeper
08-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Just how old is that article? Because the new production Miata has already shown up and looks nothing like that concept drawing.

http://www.fast-autos.net/mazda/mx5.jpg

ghetto7o2azn
08-07-2005, 01:50 AM
i dont trust concept drawings anymore... dont you guys remember the concepts shown for the supra? then we find out that there will be no supra.... though i am happy with the lf-a

Andee_G
11-16-2005, 09:02 PM
i think it'd definitely compete with the new gt-r/nsx than the 350z. The rx-8 is already around that price range so it wouldn't seem logical to have 2 sporty cars for a very similar price.

TSOPbananaforyou
11-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Well obviously the 06 rx7 or rx9 hasn't and won't happen.

IcESouL
01-21-2006, 10:05 PM
if anything they will redesign it in a few years maybe '08 or '09 but don't hold your breath

TSOPbananaforyou
01-22-2006, 05:27 PM
A comeback of the rx7 in 08 would be nice. Comeback as a 30th anny. Honestly I don't think it will happen because the natural choice for a "4th gen." rx7 would be the FE and that code has been taken by the rx8.

Dreamspawn
01-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Well since you two have brought back a old thread. The fe code is just a chassis code and considering the rx8 has taken it so what? As far as a new rx7 i don't see mazada jumping into this new supercar war they have shown no concepts or designs that i know of. Seems that this is really in between Toyota and Nissian. Mistu and its exo X are to busy with Subaru and there imprenza to make another 3000gt sadly.

Add your comment to this topic!