Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Strange Sound

babarn
03-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Hello. I was wondering if there was anyone here that experienced or are experiencing a strange sound when:
1. From a complete stop, on an uphill incline, you press on the excelerater and a shreeking sound (not the tires ... lol) emits.
2. I can produce that same sound on a very hard steer (postion the steering wheel all the way till the steering wheel stops turning)

Not sure where the sound comes from.

Anyone?

surgicaltech
03-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Sounds like it could be the engine belts,specifically the power steering belt...

jgr7
03-16-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure if this is what your are having.
Have you changed the oil in the rear differential?
I had what honda called a moaning sound from the rear end, in my car this happened when I would make a wheel turned to lock u-turn in either direction. The tech bulletin stated that the rear differential CVT fluid should be changed to correct this problem.
They said it should be done at 60k miles instead of 90k if used in extensive 4-wheel driving, however mine had only been to the snow 1 time. Here is what happend I guess the oil gets contaminated with some crap from the limeted slip inside the diff and causes the noise. I know this sounds strange but it worked on my 98 cr-v ex. The dealer gave me a copy of the Honda ServiceNews from Jan 2000 that had this info.
Jeff

lorunner
03-21-2004, 02:20 PM
yeah rear diff. thats the noise its a really load howl. change the fluid its relitively inexpensive

babarn
05-06-2004, 01:12 PM
That was it!! The rear diff fluid!!! Thanks guys!!!!

Gerbster
05-25-2004, 05:37 PM
What is the procedure for changing the fluid? Is it like changing engine oil? Is there a hole for filling it back up?

babarn
06-03-2004, 02:49 PM
What is the procedure for changing the fluid? Is it like changing engine oil? Is there a hole for filling it back up?

Took it to a dealer. It took them about 30 min to get the car in and out.

toolman34
02-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Rear diff fluid (dual pump fluid) is about 12 bucks a quart. at a honda dealer. Make sure you buy at a dealer, not worth the risk buying somewhere else!!!diff hold 1.1 quarts on the first generation model. It is designed to capture particles of clutch pack in the fluid and will cause horrible noise when dirty. If real dirty, buy 3 quarts, change once, drive about a week, then change again!

Add your comment to this topic!