Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A very, very, sad but true story.

Shrieking Seizure
03-15-2004, 03:39 PM
I live in small-town norway, and we have 4 feet plus of snow all year round. You get your drivers license when you are 18 years old, and KILLER car taxes assures that there is nobody driving around with more than 200 hp unless they are damm rich. (For the price of a 911 turbo here you get a Camaro V6, a Viper, AND an electric grill in the US)
I knew this guy who had recently gotten his license, and had bought a Mark IV Golf, which had been tuned quite a bit. It was a bit of wreck, without any winter type tyres and quite a bit of rust, but he was still understandably proud.
So, three days after getting his drivers license, he decides to race one of the local "Rieger" maniacs, who had a much nicer car (tuned Bora).
I think there was some alcohol and perhaps even marijuana in the picture, but anyway, they where racing flat out over our local highway, doing about 160 kmh, which would be about 100 mph.
There are a series of tunnels and twisty bends, and that is where they where racing.
The guy with the golf was in second place, and he was coming out of the tunnel, and he was kinda in both lanes, and he spotted this big truck coming toward him, and he panicked and did an emergency maneuvre with the wheel. Thing was, there was ICE outside the tunnel, and not inside.
He lost traction and started drifting uncontrollably.
The guy in the truck stood on the brakes, but it was too late.
The truck T-boned the golf, and pretty much destroyed it.
He was found, crushed, inside the car, and of course, dead.
There are a lot of accidents where i live, but this one stands out especially as i was his good friend.
What i want to say is, whenever you are racing your car or whatever, bear in mind that you could die... especially if its in the winter.

P.S Dont lock this post please moderator...

1viadrft
03-15-2004, 04:41 PM
RIP

Mediocrity
03-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Wow.... I'm really sorry man :(

Be careful guys...

flylwsi
03-15-2004, 05:08 PM
mark IV is the latest golf, i find it hard to believe it's rusted out.
a bora is a jetta.
local "rieger" mechanics?
i've noticed alot of rieger mechanics in your posts...
are they tuners that use rieger parts, or is that some slang?

sorry to hear about this guy.

it's just another reason to not race on the street.

youngvr4
03-15-2004, 06:23 PM
sorry bud :disappoin

i see lots of people racing in the rain on the freeway

freeway+rain+racing=death :disappoin let alone ice

turbo2nr
03-15-2004, 06:55 PM
i can relate i got into my acciden b/c of icy conditions and going a little to fast.. the result was totaling my popz car.. speeding in rainy weather or where thier is people around isnt good..

90Stangjc
03-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Stupid people deserve punishment. But NOTHING like death. Maybe getting grounded? Sorry man.

Polygon
03-15-2004, 07:44 PM
P.S Dont lock this post please moderator...

No worries, we have no reason to yet.

Anyhow, that’s sad to hear, but perhaps there is a good reason why they make it hard for people to get high powered cars. Drugs and drink never belong in the picture when operating a car. This obviously cased a lack of judgment since they should have had more common sense then to be racing in the winter on icy roads. Sorry if I’m unsympathetic, but how can I when they should have known better?

Personally I think that anyone who wants to drive a powerful car should have to take a driving test to prove they can handle the car before they can buy it. I see too many people buy a nice powerful car and then end up off the road, into another car, or wrapped around a telephone pole or a tree.

Layla's Keeper
03-16-2004, 12:48 AM
Man, I'm glad someone pointed out that a Bora is a EDM Jetta, because I was thinking your friend wiped out a classic Maserati.

Ice, snow, rain, narrow traffic laden roads, and sense-impairing substances are all very bad factors to combine into a race. With a scenario like that, you'd be safer being one of the nameless mid-pack guys in a Speed Racer episode.

You know, the ones whose cars inadvertantly spiral out of control and then explode on contact with anything.

It's tough losing a friend violently before their time, but I hope you and the rest of your buddies are going to approach things with much more common sense from now on.

ShortyDTP
03-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Sorry to hear that man , but it true, and the worst of all you go and hit bistanders and people that had anything to do with the race..

exodia51
03-16-2004, 04:12 AM
I was in Philly a few years back and saw a real bad accident. I think it was Holstine or 61st. the race was on a 4 lane road with a medium with u turn cut outs every 50 yards. The cars were racing down the right side, while the returning racers or viewers were on the left. These two cars took off and were at top speed when a guyin a red mustang decided to do a u-turn into the racing lanes. The first car t-boned the Mustang, the driver of the stang flew out of the car. The Mustang and the car that hit the mustang ran over the guy. The second racer lost control and few off into the brush. It was a freaking mess. It kind of makes you feel f'd up everytime you go to race there.

Shrieking Seizure
03-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Mark III is what i meant... sorry about that. The Jetta is known as the Bora in Norway. I was recently reading an article about the new golf, the Mk. V. Car quality is also much lower in norway than in the states, and companies often save money by using less expensive leather and much less nice interiors. Also, our climate is very very punishing (wet, cold, roads strewn with salt, and so on). otherwise sorry for the mistake.

Shrieking Seizure
03-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Rieger is a company that makes bodykits, and is very popular with older golfs here in norway. a "rieger" gold is kinda a slang word for a lowered, tuned golf, ussually painted in grey or silver. im sorry if im expressing myself unclearly and mixing up car brands... please tell me if i fuck up.

LoW_KeY
03-16-2004, 09:19 AM
wow :( if your going to do it know the road and conditions.. rain you can hydro plane so easy.. and ice that's just evil stuff. I spun out going 55 once and 35-40 and went in a 10 foot ditch luckily didn't flip or hit the tree that was right beside me. I couldn't picture going any faster and hitting ice scary stuff.

like I said if you feel the need to do it know the conditons and area well!

Add your comment to this topic!