Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

N/A 4.6 DOHC and 5.0 TT/SC questions.... fast VIII

tupacglock
02-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Hello, I have many questions regaurding the possibility of a Lincoln Mark VIII as my first car! This is a show car, not a race car, but I was hoping ot make it be able to take most of the ricers (not that it cant already with 280HP @tc stock) around town. There are a lot of them. I have a freind who is in the Repo business and he says that if I am looking for a car with a good body and no engine/tranny he would be able to hook me up. I have a couple of questions, but first I will give you a little back ground information on the car I am looking to get/build.

I have two routes to go down, heres number one:

Lincoln Mark VIII (4.6 DOHC)
18" Diablo Vienna Rims
K&N Intake filter
Headers
Cat Back Excaust
ECU
Modified Air Suspension Solenoid (In-Dash Controls )
Darker Tint
Audio Mods
I was thinking I would see around 250WHP

Number 2:
1)Buy a Lincoln Mark VIII with no engine/tranny
2)Get an 86-93 5.0
3)Of course I/H/E
4)Stock 5.0 Tranny/Clutch/Fly
5)Twin Turbo or Supercharger? Which do you reccommend? I am not that familiar with 302s, I know these are both popular choices, does the 5.0 put out its power mostly at high or low RPMs? If high ill go TT if low Ill go centerfugal sc.
6)Cam setup
7)Fuel pump
8)oil pump
9)fuel rail
10)ECU
11)Injectors
12)FMIC
13)What turbos/SC should I get? (I am a bit partial to Garrett, but I am not dead set)
14)What size wastegate?
15)I dont want a kit! Got any advice for custom bent piping?
16)Anything to expect as far as axels, suspension, etc? I will probably rpeplace my springs with some that are a bit tougher, but thats it, dont want to lose that Lincoln ride, plus lets not forgte the stock airbags.
17) Will all the engine parts/work (done by myself + free labor + free lift ) be able to be completed for under 4500 for just the engine/tranny/mods? If not what price range am I looking at?

What will I need to mount this? The 302 is a smaller engine (in terms of the block size) than the 4.6 DOHC correct? What do I need as far as wiring? I know my fair share, and I will probably have my Aunt (who drove a 302 Fairlane till the wheels fell off, literally, same engine never rebuilt, lasted many many years) help em out a bit. Still I am new to engine swaps, any advice? What would I be looking at in terms of RWHP or HP @TC?

probmxer426
02-15-2005, 09:31 AM
I dont know a whole lot about the mark VIII's. But I have a 92 mark VII. It comes with a 302 stock and will easily beat any of the ricers you wanna race, with a little modification. I have only added a new exhaust, intake, and shift kit, and I haven't lost to a ricer yet. I've been thinking about gettin a supercharger and a dress up kit for it also. The best thing is that the engines are the same as the mustangs and it makes it very easy to find performance parts.Hello, I have many questions regaurding the possibility of a Lincoln Mark VIII as my first car! This is a show car, not a race car, but I was hoping ot make it be able to take most of the ricers (not that it cant already with 280HP @tc stock) around town. There are a lot of them. I have a freind who is in the Repo business and he says that if I am looking for a car with a good body and no engine/tranny he would be able to hook me up. I have a couple of questions, but first I will give you a little back ground information on the car I am looking to get/build.

I have two routes to go down, heres number one:

Lincoln Mark VIII (4.6 DOHC)
18" Diablo Vienna Rims
K&N Intake filter
Headers
Cat Back Excaust
ECU
Modified Air Suspension Solenoid (In-Dash Controls )
Darker Tint
Audio Mods
I was thinking I would see around 250WHP

Number 2:
1)Buy a Lincoln Mark VIII with no engine/tranny
2)Get an 86-93 5.0
3)Of course I/H/E
4)Stock 5.0 Tranny/Clutch/Fly
5)Twin Turbo or Supercharger? Which do you reccommend? I am not that familiar with 302s, I know these are both popular choices, does the 5.0 put out its power mostly at high or low RPMs? If high ill go TT if low Ill go centerfugal sc.
6)Cam setup
7)Fuel pump
8)oil pump
9)fuel rail
10)ECU
11)Injectors
12)FMIC
13)What turbos/SC should I get? (I am a bit partial to Garrett, but I am not dead set)
14)What size wastegate?
15)I dont want a kit! Got any advice for custom bent piping?
16)Anything to expect as far as axels, suspension, etc? I will probably rpeplace my springs with some that are a bit tougher, but thats it, dont want to lose that Lincoln ride, plus lets not forgte the stock airbags.
17) Will all the engine parts/work (done by myself + free labor + free lift ) be able to be completed for under 4500 for just the engine/tranny/mods? If not what price range am I looking at?

What will I need to mount this? The 302 is a smaller engine (in terms of the block size) than the 4.6 DOHC correct? What do I need as far as wiring? I know my fair share, and I will probably have my Aunt (who drove a 302 Fairlane till the wheels fell off, literally, same engine never rebuilt, lasted many many years) help em out a bit. Still I am new to engine swaps, any advice? What would I be looking at in terms of RWHP or HP @TC?

Huer
05-29-2005, 04:43 PM
There are guys who have turbocharged either engines and gotten over 1khp out of them. If you wanna spend the $$$ there are some Hot Rod Magazine issues that have articles that go over, in detail, in how they have taken a junkyard 302 and a turbo and got over 900hp solid. Same with a 4.6. The SOHC 4.6 takes forced induction better than a DOHC so I hear. Check out the P71 police forums where they talk about how they rod out their crown vics. ALOT of those cops with take-home cars put turbochargers on them and they will blow the doors of just about anything you can think of. Your Cat back exhaust wont help you as much as if you put wider tubes from the headers to the stock cat-backs. One of the major drags on the mark VIII motor is the retarded exhaust manifolds it comes with. I think if you grabbed a couple cast manifolds off a crown vic it would be better than that junk that comes on the mark VIII's. Just imagine what a nice set of headers would do. Then if you made the front exhaust with wider pipes and no cats it would be extremely helpful.. Look on ebay, also, and look for check engine light eliminators. They are just a little resistor that hooks up to your rear o2 sensors that will turn your ECU alarm when you chop out the cats. The K&N cold air intake is a good investment. Right now I'm making a custom one out of 3.5" aluminum tube I pulled off the turbo induction setup off some old Detroit diesel, and a 9" conical K&N filter coming in the mail for it. I also plan to rebuild the upper intake and polish it. Does Anyone know if there is somehow a way to manually override the split port butterfly valves? I was thinking about connecting them to the throttle linkage so they'ed open at 3/4 throttle.

paul_meets_mark
01-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Hey man....if your gonna get a markviii with no motor or tranny, im not too sure if you should go to a 302...the reason i say this is because a markviii already weighs around 3500lbs rolling chassey.
The 4.6l dohc in the marks are aluminum block, with aluminum heads, they engine only weighs i believe 300lbs altogether.
If you put a heavy 302 in there, its gonna take alot more too get those tires going. IMO
Just a thought

~Paul_meets_Mark

Add your comment to this topic!