Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Window (spontaniously?) shatters

civdiv
02-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Yesterday as I was driving north on I-5 near San Juan Capistrano, my drivers side rear window just shattered. I wasn't going under an underpass, nor was there a car next to me on that side. On my left was the car pool lane, and then the jersey barriers, and then the southbound lanes. I didn't find anything inside the car that could have caused it. I did notice several paint chips immediately behind the window on the outside of the car, but that could have been caused by the pieces of glass scraping the car after the window broke, I was doing about 80 mph at the time. Most of the glass shattered into the car. My car is a 2003 1/2 G35 sedan. I gotta assume it was a rock or something, but has anyone else heard of anything like this happening? I could find nothing online via Google searches.
Weird. I just got my car back Monday from a little fender bender. I forgot to set the parking brake (It's a 6 speed), and the car rolled out of the parking spot in the parking lot at work and rolled into a car in the next row. I very slightly dented the rear, left quarter panel and scraped it and the corner of the bumper. Someone at work suggested maybe between the accident and the body work something structural was off and maybe the door flexed and the window broke. I think that's a bit farfetch. The car couldn't have been going more than 1 or 2 mph, and the impact with the other car was glancing rather than direct.
Am I analyzing this too much and this is just a simple case of road debris?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
civdiv

speedmo
04-05-2004, 12:43 PM
From what you describe, it does sound like the most likely culprit is road debri. Something kicked up and hit the window just right to cause it to shatter. I haven't heard of any G35 or infiniti problems like this in the past either - it is strange though, I'll grant you that! Perhaps there was a sniper on the side of the road and you were actually lucky he was a bad shot! Always look on the bright side ;-)

speedmo

supraman87
07-26-2004, 01:58 AM
From what you describe, it does sound like the most likely culprit is road debri. Something kicked up and hit the window just right to cause it to shatter. I haven't heard of any G35 or infiniti problems like this in the past either - it is strange though, I'll grant you that! Perhaps there was a sniper on the side of the road and you were actually lucky he was a bad shot! Always look on the bright side ;-)

speedmo

i agree, road debris is probably to blame, although, there is a popular prank amongst vandalists that involves rubbing lemon juice on a window and allowing it to dry in the sun over a period of time and as a result, the acidic properties of the juice react a certain way with the glass causing it to easily shatter, the prank, if done properly, is to slice a lemon in half, and rub the open end all over the front wind sheild and to let the juice dry on the glass in the sun
and the vibration of the enging is supposed to cause a large crack in the glass, or sometimes make it shatter completely. This ofcourse may be a myth, but ive heard stories. One possibility that i personally would not rule out is that someone did this prank but smeared the juice on your rear window instead of your front windsheild and either road debris or some other disturbance caused the weakend glass to shatter.

Add your comment to this topic!