Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 4x4 s-10 blazer turns over wont fire

pd89ace
02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
I am new to this forum and would appreciate any ideas froms omeone on what to do next...

My 1995 s-10 4X4 turns over but wont fire at times. I can get up and leave in a.m., it starts no problem. Then when I go to leave where ever I am at, it wont start. Seems to be taking a great deal of time firing and if it doesn't do it in the first five-eight seconds I end up waiting anywhere from thirty minutes to 24 hours to get it to start. I have put $1600.00 into this truck since 6/03. Crank Sensor, Ignition module, o2 sensors, rotor, distributor, tune ups, new control module (The brain they say). I smell fuel at times and other times none at all. Any ideas, please help as I am getting tired of being stranded. Also you can hear the fuel pump when you turn key on before starting. This truck runs awesome so I hate to junk it if it is something I can get fixed relatively inexpensive. I have 202,000 miles on it yet it was well taken care of.
Thanks bunches! :banghead:

rlith
02-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem more than an electrical problem...

1st, remove your upper plenum and look for signs of washing (where one side is cleaner than the other) If the passenger side is washed, it's your CPI unit, if the drivers side is washed, it's your nut kit... The CPI tends to go out around 100-125k (or at least start leaking) This can cause your problems... If you replace your CPI, replace the NUT KIT as well, with that many miles, both are do. You can get the CPI at any autoparts store (I reccomend advance) but the nut kit is a dealer item (about $45.00)

If the plenum isn't washed, hook a fuel pressure gauge up to the shrader valve in back of the intake...Pressure should eb at 56-60 for starting, and 61-65 at running. If it's not, you have a bad fuel pump... Also for giggles, pull and clean your EGR eith carb cleaner and a stiff wire brush

pd89ace
02-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Well that's a start and I appreciate it. Sometimes when I go to start it it willmake a funny nose (grinding like) then when I stop and start it again it will start. I assume my starter is bad in that case but have been told that is not the reason the truck wont fire for sure.

I will pass this all on and maybe it will work. I'm praying as I do not want to buy a new vehicle right now!! :)

rlith
02-05-2004, 02:52 PM
let us know the results...:)

razor1049
02-13-2004, 09:42 AM
hello, i had that same problem with my s10 94 w/vortec 4x4 and spent some money changing the same parts you did it turned out to be the pickup coil. fi you haven't changed that you might to give it a try. hope this helps

BOB9273
02-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Yea my '96 has the same problem. Start up fine when it's cold... when it's warm it I have to try a few times before it fires. Thanks for posting this before I did :P

Add your comment to this topic!