Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do you like extremely/insanely cutomized models?

mike@af
02-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Do you guys like insanely customized models? Or do you like it right out of the body kits, with just a body kit maybe?

What if its ricey? Which it most likely would be, would you absolutely hate it?

Blowncivic1320
02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
if it could be made to look crazy customized and still look like it was manufactered that way then hellz yea i like them

willimo
02-02-2004, 06:35 PM
I voted for "OMG get it away!" only because I really like the mental image for someone recoiling in terror from a model car.

That's probably the funniest mental image I've had in a long time.

"Oh my God! Get it away!!"

Ha!

Oh, and I don't care. I like extensively modified models if it's done realistically and is heavily detailed.

mike@af
02-02-2004, 06:39 PM
I voted for "OMG get it away!" only because I really like the mental image for someone recoiling in terror from a model car.

That's probably the funniest mental image I've had in a long time.

"Oh my God! Get it away!!"

Ha!

Oh, and I don't care. I like extensively modified models if it's done realistically and is heavily detailed.

My problem is I will go over the edge and sometimes it isnt possible on a real car.

Well thanks for telling us your real opinion.

Kasso
02-02-2004, 07:10 PM
to tell the truth...ever since i discovered AF, none of my models have been box stock. theres gotta be at least one mod; even if its a simple paint scheme design.

SonyMobile
02-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey Mike, I dont no if you remember me, but i was on the modifiers forums for some time a while back, anyways, nice to see you around here again

and for your question, I like them, as long as it is realistic, and could be done in real life, and as long as it is done nice and clean.

Ferrari TR
02-02-2004, 07:34 PM
For the most part I think todays customs are way too tame!
But I remember real show cars and model customs from the '70's.
It's really hard to pull off wild customs in todays detail and realism based shows and contests.

:p

TURBO_EK4
02-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Id rather see a car with a smooth paint job lowered on some nice rims, than a bodykitted monster.

Layla's Keeper
02-02-2004, 08:04 PM
I'd like it a lot if the guys around here would do some Juha Ario or Ken Brickell level stuff. Just start throwing around putty and swapping body panels. Really work on creating different looking cars.

geedup
02-02-2004, 11:29 PM
it depends on what the builder thinks, i mod my models to a way that i like them

myunghoon
02-03-2004, 12:07 AM
if it's a race car, and it comes with big wings, huge widebody kit, etc...then it's cool cuz that's the way it's meant to be.

however, if i had the skill to customize a car myself, i would keep exterior mods to a bare minimum. things that i would only do to that car if i owned it. tasteful mods that work. i think it makes sense. the mods have to match the car. some towel-rack spoiler on a civic cx would be ridiculous. eh. i'm sure some of you agree.

Purpura Delujo
02-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Want to see properly customised models? Lowrider bike has them here (http://www.lowriderbike.com)

Honoturtle
02-03-2004, 02:32 AM
I picked "If they are done correctly, then its cool."

I beleive in making the car look good. If there's a pin hole in the body kit, it definatly needs to be filled. I like the cars to look realistic. You have to make sure not to spoil the cars looks.

Other than that, usually I like the look of a stock looking car that appears to be heavily modified... under all the skin. Especially old-school drift cars, like AE86, Sil-80's, 180's, etc. Things like adding a simple lip or spoiler can definatly improve a cars looks compated to a full body-kit.

labandabonnot
02-03-2004, 04:59 AM
I choose to say I like them, even if I've never modified a kit...
But I found this hobby was first a question of having fun: if you like heavy modified cars, why not? I'm not a fan at all, I prefer simple things, but I feel that even if the model isn't perfectly built, the most important is that it gives its maker joy and satisfaction.
And I'd like to say that, even if tunning is everything but my cup of thea, I've been very impressed by the result of the model-tunners here! It needs skills I don't have!
And don't you agree that one of the best threads of completed and in-progress forum is the "auster racer project"?! I found quite a wonderfull thing to make people (like me) dream on something that's not a supercar nor a race winner nor a design award winner!...
So thank you dudes for sharing such fun!

tonioseven
02-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Build for yourself; nobody else matters. If you like it, :sunglasse screw everyone else.

vwman
02-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Build for yourself; nobody else matters. If you like it screw everyone else.
I totally agree "Build for yourself; nobody else matter."

mike@af
02-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Build for yourself; nobody else matters. If you like it, :sunglasse screw everyone else.

I agree, but somebody did make a model, it was crazy and ricey. Then they got bitched at for making it ricey, I liked it though.

RyanGiorgio
02-03-2004, 04:56 PM
If they are done correctly, then its cool.

blueboost
02-03-2004, 05:13 PM
I look at a car as a blank canvas. I get a box stock sports coupe and pretend Im a miniature tuning house and go to work at making a one of a kind purpose-built machine. I'll be happy when my skills are good enough to replicate my ideas, and I have this forum to thank for helping to make that a reality!! :) :D

skypie
02-04-2004, 02:01 AM
I build kits for my own eyes... but we all definitely know whats rice and Good

Rtuned
02-05-2004, 10:18 AM
I love to build bodykit that with big fenders or wide looking. Especially those Amemiya FC, FD or SE and of course my favourite Veilside bodykit. But afterall, it's different point of view everyone. No one will have the same point of view.

Rtuned :smokin:

turbo type-r
02-05-2004, 03:45 PM

i agree with tonio

primera man
02-05-2004, 04:50 PM
If the body kit suits the car IMO i like it. These days some kits are way-over-the-top and look stupid.
I nice paint job, lowered on nice rims and a nice body kit makes me more then happy.

Layla's Keeper
02-05-2004, 07:42 PM
When I think of insane customs, I think of cars like this.

http://www.themodelcarmuseum.org/Projects/Clone/Hot_150/150List/Age2-1/AGE2-18.jpg

This is the Sty-ray, a custom Corvette built in 1963 by Charles Gibilterra. It's one of the 150 historically important models that the International Model Car Builder's Museum wants to either locate and restore (if possible) or create a replica of for their collection.

To me, this is more indicative of customizing than simple bodykits like many of us do. I kind of would like to see some of the guys around here get involved with the IMCBM's Hot 150 program.

Integra06
02-07-2004, 04:27 PM
I really like any customized models, whether it be a simple lip added on to the front bumper, or a heavily customized one with opening doors, trunk, or the whole front clip. The reason I like them is because even if the car is ugliest thing you've ever seen, the builder might still be progressing their skills to a higher level. It is pretty interesting to watch some of the members just starting out building models and learning, to see them a year from now, when their models may be ten times better than they were then. And like Tonio said, "Build for yourself, nobody else matters."

ImolaEK
02-07-2004, 11:44 PM
well as u kno Mike ive been doing kits on modifiers, so yes i like body work on cars, only if its done clean and right, meaning well balanced and proportioned and it also has to match the car :smokin: ...but yea what Tonio Seven said is true, thats what i went by when i started doing modifiers...now moving up to models :iceslolan

nvrenough
02-08-2004, 02:14 AM
If they like it than that is fine, but if the mods are over done than I think it is an eye sore. This is just my opinion. I don't mind body kits as long as they follow the style hues of the car that they are put on. If you have a sharp angled car (i.e. Toyota Celica) than sharp angled kits look like very nice. Thats my opinion

ericbarber101
02-08-2004, 09:25 AM
The bigger the wide body the better it looks, with in reason. Wheels have to go with the body and not be to far from the edge of the fender.

aviv
02-09-2004, 01:42 PM
build it yourself nothing else is importent

bigredwolf
02-09-2004, 03:13 PM
My favorite kits are the showrods, so I enjoy modifying just about anything.

http://www.bigredwolf.com/projects/caravandal/caravandal2a.jpg
http://www.bigredwolf.com/projects/caravandal/caravandal1a.jpg

youngdrifter_x
02-09-2004, 06:41 PM
It depends. If they try something crazy and looks clean then great job. know what I'm sayin'? Like my style is nice and clean and not over done.

ADVANFAN
02-09-2004, 10:56 PM
no crazy stuff for me, clean and smooth lines. Dont get me wrong, I like GT wings on real race cars just not that fast n furious look.

Add your comment to this topic!