Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

YFZ450 or TRX450R

94tegRS
01-24-2004, 03:27 AM
I am looking to get a quad and now I am going to finance instead of paying cash so I am going all out. at first I was thinking the 400 EX cuz my uncle owns 250EX's, Ive ridden 300's and like honda and though, wow, a 400, muste be insane. but if im gonna get a 4 stroke whyh not the 660 raptor. but then saw for not much more I could get the motocross derived engines in a quad with more advanced suspension/etc.

now the yamaha has 9/10 f/r" of travel and the honda has 1 inch less front and back. the yamaha is electric start and the hondas kick start(no big deal to me).

now on the engines, the yamahas a 439cc DOHC 5 valve 11.9:1cr plant, and the honda is a 450cc unicam four valve 10.5:1 cr plant.

so the yamahas is the more advanced but with such a high cr does this mean its gonna wear out sooner? and how much does the size of the carb matter cuz the hondas got a 42mm carb and the yamahas only got a 39mm. btoh are about the same dimensions and weigh in at 350 lbs.

if it was your money which would you buy and why.

and would the honda having a bit more displacement, larger carb overcome being less technological in the head and les compression?

thanks

Add your comment to this topic!