Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

G35 Sedan for older people?

joNisHot
01-22-2004, 06:23 PM
I am 18 and i really wanted the g35 coupe and my mom really liked the look and agreed to get me it. But soon she found out it was rear wheel drive and wouldn't buy it no matter what because she doesn't want me driving a RWD in snow (we get some snow in NJ.. not that much. in my opinion she's overreacting). but she likes the all wheel drive sedan too and will get me that no question.

But i'm not sure about that. the sedan looks good but seems to portray a look thats for much older people... for example someone with a family to haul around.... lots of passenger room. my friends agree that the coupe is much better and the sedan cannot compare.

What do you guys think? Is the sedan an "old man's car"? if i can't get the g35 coupe am i better off going for another car altogether? my budget is low $30K range... if you have other recommendations let me know. thanx.

riffster
01-27-2004, 12:11 PM
I am 18 and i really wanted the g35 coupe and my mom really liked the look and agreed to get me it. But soon she found out it was rear wheel drive and wouldn't buy it no matter what because she doesn't want me driving a RWD in snow (we get some snow in NJ.. not that much. in my opinion she's overreacting). but she likes the all wheel drive sedan too and will get me that no question.

But i'm not sure about that. the sedan looks good but seems to portray a look thats for much older people... for example someone with a family to haul around.... lots of passenger room. my friends agree that the coupe is much better and the sedan cannot compare.

What do you guys think? Is the sedan an "old man's car"? if i can't get the g35 coupe am i better off going for another car altogether? my budget is low $30K range... if you have other recommendations let me know. thanx.

First of all, let me say that I don't think many 18 year-olds should be driving a powerful car like the G35 coupe or sedan. But I'll assume that your mother is actually objecting to the coupe because of RWD and not because she really doesn't want you in a car with the power of a G.

If that is really her argument let me say that I respectfully disagree - you can drive a RWD car in anything but absolutely horrible conditions provided you have the right tires! I have driven my G35 coupe over the past two winters with Pirelli Snowsport 210 winter tires on - I know I could not have made it with the 18-inch high-performance summer Michelins (that would have been suicide!) I have few problems driving in winter, even in the middle of moderate snowstorms, as along as I drive intelligently (even with winter tires you have to be smart and not accelerate and brake hard.)

But I have nearly 30 years of driving under my belt - the last 20 without a single ticket. I'm not saying this to brag, but to let you know that if you do get a G coupe, even with winter tires, you will have exercise a lot of caution driving around. I am a lot smarter and better driver now than I was when I was 18 - I think I would have been in big trouble with a car as powerful as the G coupe/sedan when I was a young tiger. Again, you might be the exception to a lot of young guys - maybe you won't abuse the privilege of a powerful engine.

As to the G sedan being 'too old' - you have to decide that for yourself. The G sedan has serious power too - but with AWD you will have some protection in bad weather. You still can't drive like a lunatic - but that four-wheel grip can't be beat.

Why not get a Subaru WRX? It's all-wheel drive and very peppy. An STi is probably a bit out of your price range, but even the regular WRX can scoot and has great handling and decent reliability. I am not a fan of their styling, but maybe you don't mind, being a younger guy. Another possibility is the Honda Accord Coupe - front-wheel drive and you can get it loaded for under 30K. Again, I don't like the styling but it meets your mom's requirement plus has neat toys like voice-driven NAV, etc.,

Same goes for the Acura TL - a bit more pricey, but if you can stretch up to 35K or so it is a good choice. FWD and four doors and nice styling - but if you think the G35 sedan is for 'old folks', then you'll probably not want a TL. But it has a nice interior and neat toys like Bluetooth technology capability. Still a powerful car too - but it's not a true sports coupe/sedan like the G twins.

Good luck - and again, while I am not questioning your mom's concern, I am saying that a G35 coupe, WHEN DRIVEN INTELLIGENTLY, can handle most winter conditions as long as it has Pirelli or Bridgestone winter tires on it. I wouldn't even chance all-season tires, and I would NEVER venture out in cold, slushy streets on the Michelin Pilot summer tires (they're called summer tires for a reason!)

- Riff

joNisHot
01-27-2004, 07:25 PM
alright thanx for the input. i always thought it was more about the tire and the specific car than whether the car is RWD or FWD. and yes maybe it isn't such a good idea to have a powerful engine like that of the g35 in my hands but.... i am very into cars and even if i dont get a g35, i will probably end up modding it for more hp. :iceslolan

actually it has been a few weeks and i must say the g35 sedan's styling is starting to grow on me. i actually liked the acura 3.2 TL's styling from the start even if i had doubts about the g35 sedan. just personal preference i guess.

however, i do not like the styling of the subaru wrx at all. maybe i'm just weird but its a bit too boxy(?)/bulky looking for my taste. i prefer curvier, more elegant looking cars.

good advice about the Honda Accord fully loaded. i actually thought of that and i have another thread dedicated to that.

one thing about the winter tires.... do u keep them on all year round or switch them as the season changes? cuz that might get a bit inconvenient. =( and also the winter tires would have worse traction on dry pavement due to the thin structure right? hmmm..

GTR Amor
02-08-2004, 03:00 AM
actually, i really liked the Coupe version alot cause it was very sporty with that touch of luxury. I think it really depends on what your really going for. But, first of let me tell u why id pick the G35X over the Coupe.
I am a performance freak. the AWD system that they have put on the Sedan is off a car that has a high racing history and is known all around the world as one of the best race cars in the world. the system is called the ATTESA E-TS (All Total Traction Engineering Systerm for All Elctronic Torque Split) taken off the Nissan Skyline GTR series.

So, really the couple is alot more sporty looking,but performance wise the "X" is the way to go. its system is one of the most advanced on earth. You could hug corners better than a WRX (since they were built for Rally, and not track) where as the skyline has FULL race track history.

riffster
02-10-2004, 10:11 AM
actually, i really liked the Coupe version alot cause it was very sporty with that touch of luxury. I think it really depends on what your really going for. But, first of let me tell u why id pick the G35X over the Coupe.
I am a performance freak. the AWD system that they have put on the Sedan is off a car that has a high racing history and is known all around the world as one of the best race cars in the world. the system is called the ATTESA E-TS (All Total Traction Engineering Systerm for All Elctronic Torque Split) taken off the Nissan Skyline GTR series.

So, really the couple is alot more sporty looking,but performance wise the "X" is the way to go. its system is one of the most advanced on earth. You could hug corners better than a WRX (since they were built for Rally, and not track) where as the skyline has FULL race track history.

I am not going to argue with the quality of the GT-R ... it is justifiably acquired a legendary status. In fact, I am saving up already for the 'R35' that is supposedly arriving in 2007!!! :evillol: I just hope that they keep it under 70-75K. If I can get Nissan/Infiniti reliability and Porsche TT performance at that price - I'm all over that GT-R.

But have you driven the ATTESA E-TS as implemented on the G35x? And especially, have you driven it on the edge? I have driven my coupe enough on the edge of performance (done a few spins in my time :22yikes: ) to know it is a different car at the extreme than it is during normal driving.

The G35x is a heavy car - just a few pounds under 3500 pounds. I am sure it will handle like a champ in snow (in fact I know it does!) But are we sure it is a car that will handle a track better than a RWD (and lighter) sedan and coupe?

Just wondering .....

- Riff

Add your comment to this topic!