Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Bonneville SSE conversion to v8 muscle

james blankman
01-17-2004, 12:55 PM
This is for thinkers and dreamers. I want to take my '93 bonneville SSE 3.8 L auto and make it in to a TPI v8 4 speed / rear axle car. What are some thoughts you have regarding the framework of the automobile? I think you could
1. reinforce the unibody construction
OR
2. remove some of the rollformed underbody framing and mount the body on to a full frame.

what are your thoughts? What full framed car would you look for to rob the from from? What areas would you view as most critical to torque effects? How would you handle suspension?

jkinney
01-17-2004, 06:37 PM
I, for one, love that kinda stuff. I have a coupla buddies that are into street rods pretty heavy (father/son) and have seen first hand that you can damn near put anything into anything (within reason) I've even seen where a coupla guys put a 427 BB rat motor in a honda civic (an older one) and these guys were beefers. It was hilarious, you had to admire their imagination and efforts. I would think that what you want to do is conceivable, but it would take some work and dont know how much you would plan on doing, but it would be costly to farm it out. I would look at wheelbase measurements and go from there. I'd think it would be less labor intensive to find a donor frame (older Impala) and fabricate your body to it, or set it up like a F-body (sub frame) and use a torque arm to transfer any forces to the rear end for better driveline stability. Interesting idea, would like to see what others thought of it. Good luck, and let us know if you decide to go for it.

firehawkman
01-17-2004, 06:38 PM
has been only 1 time so far as i know and how it was done was by placeing the bonnies body on a cheve impala ss frame.the only body mod was a lengthing of the front fenders by approx 6 in as far as mechanical mod i never got the particulars of what was done

jkinney
01-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Whew! 6 inches is a lot! I would check the wheelbase measurements and look at something that wouldnt require that much work. I'm in the middle of putting newer Accord taillights and fabricating a roll pan for my oldest sons GT celica, and it's alot of work to make it look right. (damn kid)

Add your comment to this topic!