Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

NOS in automatic cars

Skyline_R32_Canada
01-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Just curious, can automatic cars have NOS in them as well? If so would it work as good as it would in a manual transmission car? Would it produce as much HP ? Any feed back would be helpful

Braille-Head
01-14-2004, 01:34 PM
why have an automatic in the firstplace? lol...

Braille-Head
01-14-2004, 01:36 PM
If I where you I would save the money for a new tranny instead of a Nos(nitrous of your choice) kit....thats like running without shoes oon a gravel road..or somethin..Im just sayin...if you have an automatic and your engine isnt in the state to where you KNOW it can hanle that 15-75% shot then you really shouldnt have it in the first place..Like I said..get a new tranny work with a manual..and move on from there..

TuxedoCartman
01-14-2004, 04:44 PM
I've heard of it being done.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having nitrous on an automatic. Seems like it'd be easier to use than on a manual. Put the right pedal all the way down, hit the NOS button, and hang on.

Skyline_R32_Canada
01-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Ya thats what i was thinking that in fact it would be easier lol. I was just asking because this 1989 nissan skyline R32 GTS-T type M turbo that i want to import from Japan comes automatic and for only 8 grand I sure as hell gonna try my best to get that car and fill it with mods of all sorts starting with a new interior :iceslolan

Braille-Head
01-14-2004, 08:20 PM
^ or a new tranny like I first suggested..

Skyline_R32_Canada
01-14-2004, 08:39 PM
ya first if i had the money to convert i would...not to mention the drivers seat is on the right hand side of the car and you would have to shift with your left hand. i mean you'd get used to it but for a 17 year old driver i'll stick with my automatic till i feel comfortable enough to try shifting gears with my left hand

TuxedoCartman
01-15-2004, 02:58 AM
If a person's considering putting NOS in a car, then that says one of two things: either the car will be used for drag racing, or it's being put in there for the poseur factor.

In either case, a manual transmission would be a detriment.

Darque Racer
01-15-2004, 05:44 AM
Honestly, running nitrus in an automatic car is easier than in a manual ... You don't run the risk of redlining out when you are not fully thru your gears, or causing serious damage to your engine by over extending the gears ... But, you should look into having your engine gone over ... And, depending on what brand of nitrus, what shot, how it will be delievered, etc. you might, honestly, want to consider CryO2 instead ... It is run much like nitrus, not quite as much of a boost, but is not detremental to your engine, either. And, can be used with naturally asperated engines, as well as turbo/supercharged engines ...

Zwrangler
01-15-2004, 02:09 PM
why have an automatic in the firstplace? lol...

Umm coz automatics can be made much faster than manuals with a simple shift kit buddy. Do you really think a human can shift faster than a machine??? Simple answer is NO. besides, logic would tell you that Nos on an auto would be much easier to control and use since all you gotta do is hit that button, grab the wheel and floor it. Believe me, many a time have a seen manuals running small 30hp shots of Nos and yet they blow the engine coz the owner can't keep up his shifts with the Nos and redline.

Skyline_R32_Canada
01-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info darque racer and zwrangler. I will have my technician thoroughly look through my engine and see if it can handle some mild nitrous shots, i will keep your idea in mind draque, about the CryO2, I have a slight idea on what it is but if any one can explain to me what it is and how similar it is to NOS that'd be great. thanks for the help guys

flylwsi
01-15-2004, 05:00 PM
why not go to DEI's website?
http://designengineering.com/

nitrous on auto cars. of course.
how many domestic v8's are backed by autos, with superchargers, or turbos, or nitrous...

Braille-Head
01-15-2004, 06:46 PM
Umm coz automatics can be made much faster than manuals with a simple shift kit buddy. Do you really think a human can shift faster than a machine??? Simple answer is NO. besides, logic would tell you that Nos on an auto would be much easier to control and use since all you gotta do is hit that button, grab the wheel and floor it. Believe me, many a time have a seen manuals running small 30hp shots of Nos and yet they blow the engine coz the owner can't keep up his shifts with the Nos and redline.

ok first skyline canada..Im 17..actually just turnned 17 Nov. so age is no excuse for not being able to shift..practice is practice..

and for you,Zwrangler..wtf are you talking about? No sure a mechine is more consistant and quiker then a person..WITH THE SHIFT KIT...how much would this kit be exactly..and now..lets talk about how you "saw" people blow their engines with a 30 shot..I; havta call you a bullshitter enless..they couldnt drive to save their life..and Im hoping they arent hitting that Nitrous at lets say 2-3 gear..lol...wtf you dont use that shot until later in the race/time atack...w/e..you should be perfectly fine with a manual with nitrous shoot its ALOT LESS stress on the tranny aswell..seeing how like you said floor it and hold on,while the driver does no work what so ever..the tranny is being worked harder then a manual..cause unlike a manual it has to keep up with the increased boost...ok buddy?

Zwrangler
01-17-2004, 11:26 AM
and for you,Zwrangler..wtf are you talking about? No sure a mechine is more consistant and quiker then a person..WITH THE SHIFT KIT...how much would this kit be exactly..and now..lets talk about how you "saw" people blow their engines with a 30 shot..I; havta call you a bullshitter enless..they couldnt drive to save their life..and Im hoping they arent hitting that Nitrous at lets say 2-3 gear..lol...wtf you dont use that shot until later in the race/time atack...w/e..you should be perfectly fine with a manual with nitrous shoot its ALOT LESS stress on the tranny aswell..seeing how like you said floor it and hold on,while the driver does no work what so ever..the tranny is being worked harder then a manual..cause unlike a manual it has to keep up with the increased boost...ok buddy?

My my such hostility and anger. First off, you can buy a B&M shift plus kit for $39.90, hardly a blow to the budget and it improves the performance of the automatic tranny. Transgo also make a kit, check out their site
http://www.drivetrain.com/transgoshiftkits.html

I believe the Transgo kit goes for around $99.95, once again hardly a stress on the wallet.

But as for the engine being blown with a 30 shot of nos believe me I shit you not. :nono: telling big fat lies is not my style and i just won't do it. :nono: A friend of mine works in a leading performance mechanic workshop and they installed a 30hp shot of Nos in a Mitsubishi Mirage (i think they're called Colts or 2dr hatchback lancer in the U.S.) and that engine blew the first time they took it around the block with the owner. They had to put in a whole new engine block and I'm not really sure if the owner kept the Nos or not. This is what I know and what I saw. Please don't resort to personal attacks because thats just not necessary and I cannot fight back against a 17 year old seeing as how i am 22 years of age. so please, calm down and read up a little on the topic before getting riled up and typing things that you may not be sure are right or wrong.

Skyline_R32_Canada
01-17-2004, 12:12 PM
thats for the info zwrangler, the site helped me understand it more

Zwrangler
01-17-2004, 12:16 PM
no problem. I love the r32's by the way, they're my fav skyline shape of all time.

Skyline_R32_Canada
01-17-2004, 01:34 PM
ya same here, what do you think of RHD though, driving on the right hand side of a car seems challenging, what do you think?

flylwsi
01-17-2004, 02:59 PM
seriously?
there's a topic in the general skyline forum about that...
come on guys...

Zwrangler
01-18-2004, 04:13 AM
lol, well rhd is normal. I'm originally Australian adn all skylines there are RHD. but now I'm living in the Emirates and my car is LHD but i have to say getting used to it is easier than one would think. Only hard part was getting used to having the blinkers and wipers on the other side ;p I kept hitting the wipers instead of the blinkers when i first switched to LHD. but its pretty easy once yuo get the hang of it.

Braille-Head
01-18-2004, 03:43 PM
actually....I still stand correct..its alot more stress on the tranny..and as for your friend in the Mirage(it is called a Mirage/Lancer)..what does the Tranny have to dowith anything..you didnt support any Important or base Information to support your arguement on how that 30 shot killed a Manual Tranny..yeah,the Kit is a good deal..and low on the wallet,agreed.But you cannot rely on that for long,specialy with a Nitrous system....so its up to you... canada...you can pick the shifter kit and get the Nittrous upgrade..and just see what happens :)..that is all..and as for Zwrangler No such hostility was directed at yah, you can put your hands down now ;)

Skyline_R32_Canada
01-18-2004, 07:19 PM
its obviously still easier to ride it out with nos in an automatic...

Braille-Head
01-19-2004, 12:07 AM
yeha but look at it in the long run..

Zwrangler
01-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Nos in a manual or auto is bad for your car in the long run. it makes no difference whether its a manual or auto, either way you're still stressing the engine and reducing its life span in the long run. I would personally never use Nos unless I was running a serious car with a serious engine that could handle the Nos and the stress it puts on the engine. Oh and about the mirage, You doubted they could blow an engine on a 30hp shot of nitrous, you didn't say that you doubted its coz it was a manual or not. coincidentally it was a manual ;p

Braille-Head
01-19-2004, 11:40 AM
coincidentally it was a manual

????????????????????????????

you said it was a manual from the start..lol..

Pontiacfreak1017
06-17-2011, 09:41 PM
I dont really understand why so many people are so opposed to driving manual. You cant use being 17 as an excuse because I'm 17 and I love driving manual. I hate Automatic. I think its boring and not as fun. Thats just my opinion I guess. I'll always prefer it to automatic. I guess what I dont like about automatic is when you go up a hill and hit the gas to accelerate, it never fails, every single automatic i have ever driven SLAMS into the lower gear to go uphill. It's never been that rough with my car. I'm biased because i had to learn manual. but anyways, i prefer it and dont see why someone would even bother putting nitrous in an automatic either. but whatever i guess. haha. theres my rant.. :)

Add your comment to this topic!