Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Putting my flame suit on!

ChuckH
12-19-2001, 11:58 PM
Well, both of my Nakamichi CD players went tits up. The single player won't do anything at all, and the changer jams when it tries to change discs. So, in the spirit of Christmas and all, I started my shopping today. Where did I go? Yep, I started at the stereo store. Here's the first component of three. I will be adding an in-dash CD changer and the XM radio tuner module later, as money permits, but atleast I'll have a working CD player again.

Anyone want to make me an offer on the lousy Nakamichi gear? :rolleyes:

Oh, and this relates to 4 wheeling in that I need music when I drive to Moab and stuff! :D

Schludwiller
12-20-2001, 12:47 AM
That what I'm looking for with my stereo upgrade. Any suggestions? That and it needs enough head power to run 4 speakers without an additional amp. That, I'll do with a bass-link.

Kerensky97
12-20-2001, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by ChuckH
Anyone want to make me an offer on the lousy Nakamichi gear? :rolleyes:
Rice not included! ;)

I understand wanting to upgrade the Xterra Radio but I hate those tiny buttons on all the radios out there.
Till they make a radio that has buttons I can hit without looking while bouncing down the back roads I'll stick with the stock.

ChuckH
12-20-2001, 01:56 AM
Schlud,

No, it doesn't play MP3's. I'm sure Pioneer probably makes one that does though. I don't have time to make MP3's and all the one's I've dowloaded off the internet sound like shit, so I wasn't interested in that. My main thing is the changer and the sattelite radio when I get it. I thought all CD players played CD-R's? I haven't found one yet that didn't anyway.

BTW, nice picture Schlud!

Now Dustin,

I agree 150% on the small button issue. I'm really not too hip on the design and useability of the Pioneer head unit, but it has the features I want and the price was good. That was one of the reasons I bought the Nakamichi gear the first time. I loved the feel and the fact that there weren't a ton of timy buttons or screensavers or any extra crap. Unfortunately, Nakamichi hasn't done anything about their quality control over the years. They built crap when I worked at the stereo 8 years ago, and they still build crap. I was really hoping things had changed and I took the chance. Oops!!! :( Nakamichi is top notch in features, useability, looks, and sound quality, but it only applies when they are actually working. I'm really disappointed! It should be interesting trying to avoid getting in a wreck while navigating the Pioneer user interface! BTW, I gave up some features I wanted on the higher end model in exchange for having a more normal display. The next one up had pictures and crap on the display nad it made me want to hurl.

ChuckH
12-20-2001, 02:11 AM
Schlud,

I looked on the Pioneer website and didn't see an MP3 head unit. I know kenwood makes one or two though and that's probably the way to go. The only other one I know of for sure is Aiwa and well, uh yikes. Sony probably does too, but my experiences iwth Sony car audio has been somewhat of a test in sanity. Worse than Nakamichi, in my experience.

Most new head units will have adequate power to run your main speakers as long as you don't get high end speakers. Rick can tell you about his adventures in speakers though! :D I went shopping with him and we started with $200 sets that would run off deck power and he ended up with some that cost much more, an amplifier to run them, and a 10" subwoofer! So, one of these days I will be hooking Rick's truck up. You should get some stuff too and we can have a stereo install party with Pizza and beer! :D

FSRBIKER
12-20-2001, 08:03 AM
Schlud I have been more than happy with my Kenwood CD player, one of the biggest pluses i think is the MASK feature...no more face plates to remove.

Cygnus-X1
12-20-2001, 08:58 AM
How much is it to add XM radio? WHo adds it, a stereo shop?

superjens
12-20-2001, 09:11 AM
one of the biggest pluses i think is the MASK feature

Yeah but, doesn't the radio in it's entirety still stay in the truck? The point of the face-off decks was to deter theft since the deck without the face is like laces without a shoe.

Which reminds me, I have a Panasonic, my buddy has a different Panasonic, and both our faces are interchangeable on our decks. It'd be kinda cool if you could buy (cheaply) differnet looking faces on purpose, you know to break up the monotony. For me, I'm tired of the neon-blue disco lights this thing throws off (looked OK in my rice burning Civic). I'd like a pale amber light now for awhile.

rhombus
12-20-2001, 09:22 AM
Since XXXterra does not post here to much I will put a link to his site.
He is a bit of a stereo junkie :D

XXXterra's Stereo Overview (http://www.xxxterra.ca/stereo.htm)

Notice the nice Xterra logo on the Amp box :)

Xcanuk
12-20-2001, 09:26 AM
What exactly went dead with the Nakamichi, or did it die with the offroading ? I've got the 2 units in mine as well, 6 months ago, 12 CD's in dash, great for long trips, liked it because it was a simple clean deck, but didn't realize they had problems with quality.

FSRBIKER
12-20-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by superjens

Yeah but, doesn't the radio in it's entirety still stay in the truck? The point of the face-off decks was to deter theft since the deck without the face is like laces without a shoe.

Sure but for any area i am not totally comfortable leaving the faceplate on I then remove it and carry it with me....all other times it looks like you removed the faceplate anyway.

coolerman
12-20-2001, 11:54 AM
I've also have a Kenwood with the flip face. Mine howerver does not detach :( But it has a 4 digit code you have to enter in on the remote (which I do take with me) to reactivate it so I don't mind leaving it in the truck!

Nice install of the amps XXXterra!

rrdstarr
12-20-2001, 01:01 PM
Just got my Diamond Audio HEX S600s speakers! They were $550 at Magnolia Hi-Fi but got them NIB from Evil Ebay for $300!!! I have never had anything other that factory stereos in all my cars, so this will be a new experience!

ChuckH
12-20-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1
How much is it to add XM radio? WHo adds it, a stereo shop?

Go here, I think

www.xmradio.com

It costs about $300 to add it and you can even add it to the factory stereo is you get an RF Modulated model. Service is $10/month.

Any dealer that carries Pioneer, Alpine, or Sony should have XM modules for sale, except discount internet vendors. Crutchfield has them, but the discount guys that sell out of date models won't.

Schludwiller
12-20-2001, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by rrdstarr
I have never had anything other that factory stereos in all my cars, so this will be a new experience!

Better get an alarm upgrade with impact sensors or you won't have it for very long! :eek:

ChuckH
12-20-2001, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Xcanuk
What exactly went dead with the Nakamichi, or did it die with the offroading ? I've got the 2 units in mine as well, 6 months ago, 12 CD's in dash, great for long trips, liked it because it was a simple clean deck, but didn't realize they had problems with quality.

Uh oh, I've probably got you terrified now...SORRY!

I don't knowif the bouncing around and dirt affected them or not, but I doubt it. The single player just errored out one day on teh highway and spit out the disc that was in it. Then it wouldn't accept discs anymore at all.

The changer died on the freeway too. A disc ended and it went to switch and then got stuck. :(

You may never have any trouble. Seems to be the way with Nakamichi. FWIW, I seem to have problems with car CD players. Don't even get me started on my Sony story!

If you have the CD-45z and the MB-70, maybe you'd like a couple extras for spare parts? If nothing else, the remote works well! :) I dunno, maybe I'll get them fixed and then sell them or just try and sell them dirt cheap on eBay as broken units. Might be worth it to someone to buy them for $100 and have them repaired.

Good luck!

ChuckH
12-20-2001, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by rrdstarr
Just got my Diamond Audio HEX S600s speakers! They were $550 at Magnolia Hi-Fi but got them NIB from Evil Ebay for $300!!! I have never had anything other that factory stereos in all my cars, so this will be a new experience!

Wow...you got those fast!

Cygnus-X1
12-20-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ChuckH

FWIW, I seem to have problems with car CD players. Don't even get me started on my Sony story!

Ditto. Every car cd player I have ever had, especially Sony, has gone tits up in a little over a year. Surprisingly, I have yet to have any trouble with the nissan factory one (yet) that's why I'm hesitant to replace it. Usually on all my previous ones (Nakamichi, Sony, Alpine) the first problem to occur was that it would spit out and/or not play cd's I burned at home. Maybe they're thicker (???). I dunno. But that has always been the death knell.

Xcanuk
12-20-2001, 04:09 PM
I'm on the other side and never had any problems with my decks, but its the first time with Nakamichi, maybe in another 6 months when the warranty is dead I'll be singing another tune.
Maybe I should have stuck with Pioneer after all.

ChuckH
12-20-2001, 10:24 PM
Well guys, I got my Christmas bonus today so I went out and got the rest of it! The store was out of new changers, but had an open box one. I got it for $90 less than a new one and paid $80 for a 4 year warranty on it. Hopefully I won't need it, but I figured I'd do it anyway. I was planning on that for a new one too, so that's still $90 in my pocket. I also got the XM tuner and a roof mount antenna. The guy said the glass mount ones don't work very well. The only issue I'm seeing now is where to put the XM tuner. The head unit only has one IP bus connection and the CD changer and XM both need it. The XM module has a bus output that could go to the changer, but the cord isn't long enough. I guess I'll have to see if they sell extensions for them. So, here ya go!

rrdstarr
12-20-2001, 11:30 PM
I never thought I would get into having a "Good" stereo for my truck, BUT listening to ChuckH's has changed my mind! :D No I don't listen to my Stereo when I am out 4 wheelin, I barely understand the FRS and CB, but it is nice to have a "good" stereo on the commute to work, MT or Moab or GOX! :)

rednec
12-20-2001, 11:45 PM
My last 3 trucks (all nissans) I have kept the stock head unit and just upgraded everything else. I put a set of Sony (X's) in the front, kept the stock tweeters. A set of Crunch 6x9's in the back and recently added an el'cheapo 6' bass tube from Wal-Mart in the back. I wanted to add a little more bass to the system and not kill my cargo area. The bass tube is suppose to be able to handle 300 watts RMS. I hooked up a 170 watt amp, bridged, and blew out the tube in a day. Took it back to Wally World and exchanged it, unbridged my amp and haven't had any problems since. I like the stock head unit myself. Very easy and simple to use. I work out of my truck all day so I like to have tunes.....

rrdstarr
12-20-2001, 11:49 PM
I put the 6changer SE stereo in my XE...so yeah I am doing the same as rednec! Stock head unit and upgrade everything else.

bluztraveler
12-21-2001, 12:36 AM
rrdstarr you don't have to worry about alot of securety (alarm) stuff I ran a 540 watt system in my CRXsi thats with a sub, two amps cross over and all the speakers up graded. As long as you don't advertise the fact you have a system. Plus any red flashing light in the truck will stop all most all theves.

ChuckH
12-21-2001, 01:09 AM
From the outside, the only thing that will be seen as aftermarket in Rick's truck will be the subwoofer and he could easily hide that in the back. We're going for a stealth install. Of course he'll have to try not to drive by potential thieves with it cranked up to 130 dB! :D Now my stereo on the other hand is just waiting for a thief. The good news is that I almost never park anywhere that I would even have to think about it. At work my truck is within view from my office, and at home it's close by too and I'm out in the sticks (well, sort of). I can't wait to get the sattelite receiver hooked up! :D That's going to kick ass for the trip to Moab this spring!

Mobycat
12-21-2001, 01:37 PM
Hey Chuck, that Pioneer, did you buy it at Wal-Mart?

Reason I'm asking - it's the DEH-430 and I know that Wal-Mart uses a different number than others.

I have the DEH-4300. I also got the XM installed last night. It's pretty kick ass.

The XM receiver is located under the passenger seat. The antenna I need to move - it's on the side rear window right now, just waiting for a tree to knock it off. I need to move it to the rear.

The only MP3 head unit that is ALSO XM ready is the Alpine - and it's something like $600.

mudphud
12-21-2001, 02:26 PM
Rick, Chuck:

Let me know when you guys install Rick's stereo. If I'm around, I'd like to come see it done. It would be nice to have a richer/fuller sound than the stock speakers, but I also don't want a huge box (subwoofer) in the back of my truck. Makes it more difficult to sleep in the back. I also have my spare TrXus and tool box in the back right now taking up all the space.

I'm going to be getting an electric cooler and a power coverter for Xmas too. Maybe I can squeeze in a speaker upgrade during the winter and get shocks, etc in the spring...although I just spent $400 on season lift tickets and shuttle. Hrm...sucks to be a student. Someone want to buy me some speakers for Xmas? :D

ChuckH
12-21-2001, 03:42 PM
Mudphud,

I'm not sure when we will be doing the install yet. Rick's sub box is only .66 cu. ft. and holds a 10" woofer. It will take up very little space and will be easy to remove. Mine is .73 cu. ft. and I don't have any problem finding room to sleep; even when I leave it in there. We'll be putting his amplifier under the passenger seat just like mine.

Mobycat,

The DEH-430 is the Premier version of the 4300 that you have. I'm not really sure what the difference is except that the Premiers come with a 2 year warranty. I thought there was some other small difference, but I'm not sure. I got the Premier model because Pioneer only offers the in-dash changer with the Premier label and I wanted the two pieces to match. I purchased them from a hi end A/V store that has their own sevice department so i don't have to worry about service issues so much anymore.

Do you have the Terk glass mount antenna? Does it work OK? The guy I bought from said they were having problems with it and suggested I get the one that looks like a mouse. So, I did. I'll probably put it right in the center of my roof toward the back and run the wires through the hatch opening. I've pretty much burned up space under the seats and stuff, but maybe I can work the XM tuner in somewhere. If I can, I'll put it behind the dash, but I don't think there is room. I'll let you know what I think when it's all done!

Mobycat
12-21-2001, 04:18 PM
I got the Terk window mount. So far it works great - no problem with reception.

One word of warning on the mouse-like one - be sure you've got the sticky stuff working well - I stopped by Synchro's house, and it has worked itself loose. The cord was still stuck, but the end unit wasn't.

ChuckH
12-21-2001, 04:45 PM
Interesting. I'm not totally surprised by the sticky problem. I noticed that the tape is up in there pretty far and it looks like the rubber surround has to be compressed quite a bit in order for the tape to reach. I imagine the rubber seal pushes the end piece away a bit and pulls on the tape. I'll make sure I clean the area well and remove the wax. Hopefully it will stick well if I do that. If not, I'll use something a little stronger! :D Or, I'll just get the window antenna.

I called the store today and found out Pioneer does not have an extension IP Bus cable for my changer. I will have to find a way to mount the XM tuner so the IP bus connection to from the XM tuner is within about 8 inches of the changer. Yikes! If it won't fit behind the dash somewhere I'll have to give soemthing up I guess. I'm surprised Pioneer didn't think of this. Like duh!!! I hope it won't interfere with the engine computer.

ChuckH
12-23-2001, 09:53 PM
It's been a marathon weekend! I was installing my new stereo system by day and building a new computer by night. Anyhow, I ended up putting the XM tuner in my glovebox. That was the only place I could put it where the CD changer cord would reach the tuner. I haven't had too much time to play with it, but so far I'm very pleased. Infact, I think I need to go for a drive tonight!!! Check it out guys!

ChuckH
12-23-2001, 09:54 PM
And...

ChuckH
12-23-2001, 09:55 PM
And the finished product.

ScottG
12-24-2001, 12:02 AM
Looks good Chuck! I'm interested in satellite radio also. I recently got a dish at home and like the music channels. I assume you get the same channels?

I have a mini disc recorder at home. Does anyone know of a car stereo that plays cd's and mini disc? I haven't seen that combination.

I too have had trouble with a Sony cd player and won't buy another one. BTW Chuck, your old stock stereo is still working great. I may just upgrade the speakers, and possibly add satellite. Every now and then I get the bug to get a new stereo, but I have the same fear Schlud has that it will get stolen. I have had that experience a couple of times with past vehicles. The worst part is replacing the window and they usually tear up the dash too :(

ChuckH
12-25-2001, 03:46 AM
I finally tried the CD changer yesterday and it wouldn't operate! :( I returned it to the store and got a replacement and the new one won't function either and gives me the same error code. I'm thinking the changer doesn't like being connected to the XM tuner input and needs to go direct to the head unit. If that's the case then I'm going to have to choose between the changer and XM and one will have to go. Pioneer really screwed up too, if I can't hook both of them up. The dealer didn't say anything about problems doing this! :( Will paly around with it tomorrow some more.

Scott,

I don't think any of the radio stations are the same as the ones you get on your dish at home. I don't know of an CD/Minidic combos. You could add an RF modulated XM tuner to the factory head unit and it would probably work great. Glad that stereo is still workign for you!

ScottG
12-25-2001, 05:36 AM
It doesn't make sense that the changer and XM won't work together. You would think Pioneer would have put a little more thought into the system then that.

Maybe there is something wrong with the stereo controlling the changer? The sony system I had trouble with had a little reset button on the stereo that would sometimes correct Error messages.

ScottG
12-25-2001, 06:01 AM
I was just taking a look at your stereo in my Crutchfield catalog. They definately advertise it like you can use the two systems together.

Maybe this is a case of operator error :devil:

I'm just giving you shit. I know you must be frustrated with this thing by now.

Schludwiller
12-25-2001, 11:43 AM
I think I saw Alpine makes a MD car stereo when I was looking at their stuff.

Schludwiller
12-25-2001, 05:55 PM
So you have to pay $9.95 a month for the service. How are the music channels? Are they like the ones on digital-cable DVX? Is the sound quality a lot better? How about dropouts? Does it drop out in the same situations that our GPS's do?

Thanks for any info.

ChuckH
12-25-2001, 11:41 PM
XM has it's own stations. All of them are MP3 quality or better and most are better than a lot of my CD's. They do drop out sometimes, but when that happens they cut out entirely...not like regular radio where it gets all scratchy and crap. So far it hasn't bothered me too much. I have my roofrack crossbar kind of close to the antenna right now too, so that may be interfering a little bit. Regardless, the reception is nothing short of amazing and I'm very pleased. There are advertisements...atleast on the stations I've been listening to, but they are very few and far between compared to regular radio. I think $9.95/month is a pretty good deal really. You get lots of music channels and there's something for everyone. They even have ESPN, CNN, and other news channels and they come in crystal clear. One of these days here within the next week or so I can stop by your house if you want and you can check it out.

Now if I could just get the friggen changer to work! :( Good thing the XM is keeoing me entertained foir now or I'd really be pissed!

Mobycat
12-27-2001, 07:38 PM
OK, just got back from Indiana. Drove from DC to Indianapolis, Indianapolis to Cincinnati, and then Cincinnati back to DC.

XM - thumbs up!

Drive out there - had four dropouts (No Signal display). Two were when I was right next to a mountain. One was while I was driving under a bridge VERY slowly. It dropped for only a couple seconds. Fourth time - tunnel in West Virginia.

I listened to XM the whole way - no FM, no CD. I switched between channels 8 (80's), 26 (VH-1), 29 (U-Pop), 34 (Ethel), 44 (Fred), 46 (Top Tracks), 150 (ComedyXL) and BBC (forget the channel number right now).

Except for VH-1, they were ALL CD quality. VH-1 sounds like it is a simulcast of the video channel. Not positive if it's actually simulcast, but it IS the same material.

Commercials - not bad. There really are very few. Channels 8, 26, 34, 44 and BBC definitely had them. Never heard them on 29, 46 or ComedyXL. In the mornings, channel 8's DJ talks WAY too much. If I'm going to pay, I don't want to hear his blather (there is a morning DJ channel - listen to the morning zoo ALL DAY LONG!).

An inkling of what's played...on Fred (classic alternative), I heard Sisters of Mercy, Shriekback, Buzzcocks, Damned, Cure, David Bowie, Nitzer Ebb, Replacements, Howard Jones, etc. It goes ALL over the map - I loved it - this is the stuff I was listening to 10 years ago. It bills itself as music that has been "bannished from FM." Indeed.

Another interesting thing that I hadn't even thought about - since it is subscription based, they do NO need to abide by FCC regulations in regards to language. So yes, ComedyXL let's EVERYTHING by. There is NO censoring on that channel. I heard Rodney Dangerfield, Jeff Foxworthy, Steve Martin, Bill Cosby, Margaret Cho, etc.

The drive back made for some interesting bits. It was snowing nearly the entire trip. The snow itself NEVER affected the signal. However, a couple times I was driving next to a semi, and it cut out. Placement of the antenna seems to be more important than I thought - I have it on the passenger side.

As ChuckH has said - it simply drops out - no static...or does it? When I was almost home, I got a dropout in the exact same spot the other way (next to a mountain - Point of Rocks for you MD/VA people). But I was driving slower, so the dropout lasted longer, and I did indeed get static. Very little, but it was there.

Some quirks they need to work on - someone REALLY needs to set levels at the channels. One channel may be really quiet, while switching to another may blast you out. Also, levels within a channel need work. I was listening to Fred (44) and the promos were hideously loud compared to the music. It almost sounds like they have some sort of compressor/limiter/gate/whateveryouwanttocallit - it starts REALLY loud, and then drops to the appropriate level quickly.

So there's my review...in a nutshell. :D

ScottG
12-27-2001, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Mobycat

An inkling of what's played...on Fred (classic alternative), I heard Sisters of Mercy, Shriekback, Buzzcocks, Damned, Cure, David Bowie, Nitzer Ebb, Replacements, Howard Jones, etc. It goes ALL over the map - I loved it - this is the stuff I was listening to 10 years ago. It bills itself as music that has been "bannished from FM." Indeed.
:D

Okay, now I really want XM! This kind of stuff is all I used to listen to.

rrdstarr
12-28-2001, 12:17 AM
The only name I knew was David Bowie...............

ChuckH
12-29-2001, 01:21 AM
Got a working CD changer today! Third time's a charm, I guess. I had an install tech at the stereo store put the changer on the test table and it wouldn't work for him either. What are the chances of getting two changers in a row with the same error code? Oh well, the store always takes care of me and I have one that works now. Hopefully it will stay working, but if not they'll just give me a brand new one in a sealed box. The three I've brought home so far have all been repacks. Problem is now I need to go on a really long drive so I can actually use the XM AND the changer!

In related news, I heard a kick ass song on XM today! I forgot to look to see who it was, but some guy was yelling "die mother f'er, die mother f'er, die!" Never ehard it before, but it had a kick ass bass line and was a perfect road rage song.

HamsterStyle
04-18-2002, 02:04 PM
I eas wondering how low you would go on the headunit and possibly the changer also. Where are you from? Email me at HamsterStyleRacing@hotmail.com

thank you
tommy

rrdstarr
04-18-2002, 04:28 PM
ChuckH Ebayed those back in Jan!!!

ChuckH
04-19-2002, 11:03 PM
Yep, the Nak pieces did indeed sell on eBay and I actually got pretty good money for them considering their condition. I was shocked, to say the least. I love eBay! :D

Add your comment to this topic!