Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lower ball joint replacement anyone done it?

RedRacerCivic
12-25-2003, 02:31 PM
Well after realizing that this horrible squeeky noise came from my pass side lower ball joint, i have inspected it to be shot, looks like it exploded like a popped balloon. I have also noticed that the OTHER side is like that as well and all the grease is gone in both of the lower ball joints. How much in parts does it cost to get a new lower ball joint? My helms manual on replacing a lower ball joint looks easy as it shows a 9 step process. Also, can a ball joint remover/installer be borrowed from autozone or is it even necessary to get one?

blade34609
12-25-2003, 05:04 PM
I also need both my lower balljoints replaced on my 4 door.
I read the repair manual and it too said it was easy to do.
So i rented the tool and it was basically impossible for my to push the old balljoint out.
I returned the tool and took it to a mechanic who laughed when i told him what the repair manual said.
He said the only way he got them out was with a hydraulic press.

wickedplastikman
12-25-2003, 05:49 PM
i am pretty sure that the piece you are talking about is only held by one nut with a cotter pin going through it. mostly, these pieces are tough to get off because of all the rust and dirt and whatever else we drive over. all you have to do is basically take off the nut and undo the steering arm. remove the nut and bolt on the fork that is attatched to the shock. remove that nut on the bottom holding the lower ball joint. if you have that fork that you can hammer into the joint to separate them, use it. if not, i just beat the hell out of everything to loosen it. keep doing so until it comes out. if i am thinking of the right thing, you dont need any hydraulic press. i dont know what the hell he has been talking about. i have been separating the lower ball joint to work on my axle for the last month over and over again. it is doable.

someone correct me if i am wrong.

Cjz89civic
12-25-2003, 06:56 PM
wickedplastikman Your right on the first part but they need the whole assy. out. Easy yes but this does take some time. You must do what wickedplastikman said for the bottom and yes you need a press to pull out the ball joint cup just press it out and press the new one in. We just did it on a buddys car we use the press from autozne worked out well took about 2 hours for the first one and about 45 mins for the second one. We also used impact tools so it may take longer with out.

chopstick1981
12-25-2003, 07:52 PM
it only cost me $9 to have my local machine shop press the old one out and a new one in, doesn't seem worth it to spend a bunch of time on it since it is soooo cheap a job

EF You
12-25-2003, 10:10 PM
hahaha, just put the castle nut back on the balljoint, and then whack it with a big ass hammer right on the castle nut. the balljoint will come out. then after that, put the new balljoint in the hole, and then using a piece of wood to prevent damage, hit the topside of the balljoint assembly (the side closest to the CV shaft) with the hammer. it will go back in. it took me about 20 minutes to do both sides, of course i had air tools to take everything apart and put back together.

Add your comment to this topic!