Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Bonnie ocassionally stalls

Bruski
12-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Hello,

Just bought a '99 Bonneville SE with 70K miles on it. Great car but it stalls from time to time at low RPMs like when I stop at a traffic light. She starts right back up and then I'm usually fine for a while only to have it happen again later in the day or the next. The previous owner mentioned this in passing but said after replacing the wires and plugs, the problem went away ( probably BS. ).

Anyway, I read a thread below from a person with a similar problem with their '95 SSE, I believe. There seems to be strong suspicion from many informed posters that the crank (shaft) sensor is the culprit. Also mentioned as possble suspects were the fuel pump relay and the throttle position sensor.

I went to my local Pep Boys and purchased the crank sensor today ($40). My mechanic will install it today. Pep Boys had no record of a fuel pump relay. Was this part eliminated in later models ?

Any other suspects besides what I mentioned above ?

bridget36907
01-16-2004, 05:57 AM
So did the sensor fix your problem? thanks

Bruski
01-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Bridget,

No, the CSS did not fix the problem. I took the car to my mechanic on 12/23/03. He replaced the CSS, gas filter, and he also noted that a vacumn hose was loose. There is no fuel pump relay on the '99 so I couldn't replace that. I drove around the next day, in and out of shopping malls ( last minute Christmas shopping) with no problem. I thought it was fixed until it stalled again on 12/26.

Through the rest of Dec and into January, it would stall maybe once a day at most. Start right back up. I was convinced I'd have to just wait for something to finally go completely.

Fast foward to this past weekend. Saturday, the sucker stalled 4 times. Yesterday, it stalled 4 times again so I said enough is enough and brought it back to my mechanic. He just reported the FUEL INJECTOR PRESSURE REGULATOR is bad and noted that it was leaking gas. He's pretty confident this will resolve the issue. I sure hope so. I will report back in a week or so

Bruski
01-26-2004, 09:37 AM
The fuel injector pressure regulator fixed my problem. No stalling or surging since its replacement a week ago. :evillol:

Add your comment to this topic!