Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what is EGR valve and symptoms of faulty

schmark
12-16-2003, 07:35 AM
could someone please tell me what the egr valve is and what are the symptoms of a faulty one? My S-10 seems like it is lacking power. It is a five speed. It seems like in 3-5 it just won't perform well in the upper rpm range. I was wondering if the egr valve might have somrething to do with this?

GMMerlin
12-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Egr valve is an emissions componant that is used to reduce tailpipe emissions by "recycling" exhaust gas (simple laymans terms).
A valve that is stuck open will cause a rough idle or stalling problem...
A valve stuck closed can cause spark knock on acceleration or cruising
A valve that opens too much or too soon can cause a stumble, hesitation or loss of power during acceleration

schmark
12-16-2003, 09:26 AM
thank you very much. perhaps you can answer my question about replacing a starter on my 94 s-10 that I posted one thread earlier . Thanks for your reply as my truck has some of the symptoms you just described.

zxkevinxz
12-16-2003, 10:12 AM
forgetting emissions, what would be the effect of eliminating the system? colder air? better? not?

rdsaylr
12-17-2003, 09:48 PM
Hello....I owned a S-10 for about 11 years. My truck (2.5 liter, 5 speed manual) never had much power from 3rd gear on up. I did replace an EGR valve on a different car. The car would just die or have a major power loss. After the car died, it would start fine and continue on with no problem. I think the Engine light would also come on.

Add your comment to this topic!