Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Towing with the X-5, Installing a brake modulator?

HastyMHorn
12-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Howdy guys!

I own a 2001 BMW X-5, purchased new in late 2000. I actually use the X-5 for towing (it's the 4.4 liter version). My towing load has, over the years increased to nearly 4,000 lbs. At this weight, the trailer is legally required to have (and use) electric brakes. This would necessitate the installation of an electric brake modulator. So far no one within the BMW organization has been able to explain how such a modulator would be installed. In fact, the silence has been so deafening (regular mail, e-mails, dealer visits, service rep contacts, all to no avail) that I am beginning to suspicion that BMW either a. doesn't know how to install a modulator (hard to believe that this wouldn't have been part of the development of a vehicle with a 5,000 lb. towing rating) or b. they don't want their customers towing this much weight.

No trailer dealership that I have approached is willing (or able) to install a modualtor without specific instructions from BMW. Has anyone run into this and found a solution?

Feel free to e-mail me at: HastyM@AOL.com

Keep in mind, that the X-5 doesn't have a conventional brake light switch, in fact the system is networked...on the other hand, eventually the tail lights actually have to illuminate which suggests that there must be a way to trigger the brake modulator.

Thanks,

Hasty M. Horn

loftygolf
05-20-2004, 03:56 PM
The part you are looking for is BMW part # 71-60-0-009-698. This will power the brake lights on a trailer.

Add your comment to this topic!