Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter on Renault Encore

moodyblues100
12-15-2001, 12:51 PM
I have a 1984 Renault Encore that had the starter replaced. After the starter was put in grinding noise has shown up when the key is initially turned. The grinding lasts a second or so and then the car starts and runs fine with no unusual noises

Several starters were put in to try to eliminate the noise but it hasn't helped. The garage speculates that it may be the flywheel but will not gaurentee it. They say it's a 6 - 7 hour job to get to the flywheel. I hate to put that much money into this old car(although if there was some assurance this would correct the problem I would consider it), but aside from the momentary noise the car runs fine.

Will there be some warning before the car completely dies? If the car has started and the noise no longer existst am I still causing damage?

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jack

Jimster
01-09-2002, 07:24 AM
Encore=11???

RODALCO
02-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Hi Jack, seeing this post is 6 years old and you may have not even got your Renault anymore.

It is quite possible that a couple of cogs have worn very badly, or broken of from the ring gear hence the short noise at first when starting.

4 Cylinder car engines very often stop in 4 the same positions so certain cogs will have a lot more wear when the starter forces the pinion in mesh to turn over the engine.

Only remedie in your case is to take the flywheel off and have the ring gear replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!