Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Red or Green Coolant

1fastb18c1-t
11-27-2003, 10:00 PM
i currently own a 93 pickup that has run out of coolant, and i need to know which color to use red or green????? i seem to have misplaced my owners manual....does anyone know?

eduardo
12-01-2003, 01:27 AM
red is the best but green will do the job!!

Cotton
12-02-2003, 06:24 PM
You should use the same color coolant that was in the truck prior to the loss. If you mix the red and green coolant the properties of the red coolant will become tainted. There is actually three different color coolants; green, red , and orange. Orange is mainly used in GM products. The red is for newer Toyotas. The green is a general coolant that has been around for a long time. Each coolant has different properties and advantages. If you want to switch to the red coolant, i would suggest flushing the entire coolant system to remove any of the green coolant. I did this on my '95 Camry and it is fine. Many people will say you don't need to flush it but mixing the coolants will actually cause an acidic reaction that will slowly cause damage to the radiator and possibly other engine components. Also, if your radiator is all aluminum, such as my Camry is, use the red coolant...it will keep the radiator from accumulating deposits.

quickywd01
10-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Did 1990 pickup's come with green or red coolant? The lower rad hose is cold and my temp guage shows 1/4 so I'm changing out the t-stat friday. How much coolant am I going to need?

Add your comment to this topic!