Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Acura TL or a '04 Inifiniti G35?

zyajzarc
11-08-2003, 11:39 PM
I've been looking at sedans around the 35k price range and these two were the best that i could find. The TL would be the automatic w/ navi and the G35 would be leather, automatic, premium package, and navi. They are both around teh 35k price range, so i was wondering, which one would you choose and why? I'll be posting this also in the G35 section, just to obtain mix responses... as the Acura side may greatly favor the TL, while the Inifiniti side may greatly favor the G35... so i'm posting in both.

Please don't forget to state reasons you would get either car... please don't say "because i like it..."

MioCLK
11-09-2003, 10:08 AM
if you want a SPORTS SEDAN then you gotta go for the G35, since its rear-wheel drive and I believe that is how luxury cars should be.
but on the other hand the TL is a real bargain, everything comes standard except for the navigation
so I think its best for you to go to the dealers for a test drive and see which one you like best and see which dealer would give you a REAL bargain

IcESouL
11-09-2003, 10:34 AM
why are you buying the car to be a daily driver or what?

BhramaBull01
11-10-2003, 06:20 AM
hey...dont worry...i had the same dilemma as you had...and to tell you the truth id rater get a G35 coupe...im not trying to favor the coupe b/c this is an infiniti forum...i think the new TL is a great car...but its still not as the same level as the G35 coupe...just ask yourself...how many TLs do you see in the road on a daily basis...the 04s well not yet...but you will sooner or later just like the '99 to '03 models....but you dont see that many G35s OR Infinitis on the road...just the name "Infiniti" overpowers "Acura"...its just too much of a modern car...also my dad test drove the vehicle...the only thing thats got people surprised is the 9 in navigation screen in the front...and the rear sport exhaust that comes on the vehicle...but id have to say...the G35 coupe would take out any of the cars in the line of Acura...with the exception of the NSX

z33guy
11-13-2003, 07:24 PM
I like the look for the TL and it has some attractive features, but for me personally i would have to pick the g35. No reason other than the fact im a nissan freak and i like the history nissan has.

riffster
11-15-2003, 12:14 AM
but id have to say...the G35 coupe would take out any of the cars in the line of Acura...with the exception of the NSX

Hey Brahma I love the coupe - in fact I have one myself! :grinyes: But the coupe would NOT take an S2K in handling - in pure speed, yeah it would take the S2K, and as an overall car, yeah, the coupe takes the S2K. The S2K is a very stiff car and you have to rev it into VTEC-land for it to move - also 2 seats and almost zilch practicality. But as a great-handling sports car, no car even close to its' price can compare. Honda did it right with this car. (And I am no Honda lover! Only have respect for the NSX and the S2K - all the others are just .... cars! :D )

BUT .... put the coupe on a tight course with an S2K and - given equal drivers - the coupe won't hang with the S2000. Those little 2-seaters are lighter and handle very nicely.

I know from bitter experience - I almost beat an S2K in my last AutoX this year - but the guy driving it hadn't raced since May! :crying:

- Riff

Coldfusionm3
12-09-2003, 12:22 AM
The G35 Sedan is butt ugly. Every since that car came out, the exterior styling just looked ugly. If your choosing between the tl and G sedan, then id definitely tell you to get the TL. And performance wise, who cares if its rear wheel drive unless your going onto the track or if you plan to drift with your car. The TL is beautiful inside and out and it definitely shows what a luxury sedan is. Car and Driver just rated the TL at 5.7 zero to sixty which is pretty damn close to our G's . Oh ya, I have an 04 G35 Coupe. Bottom line, if you were deciding between the 04TL and A G coupe, Id tell you to get the G coupe...but since your deciding between the TL and G sedan, you really should get the TL. If i was looking for a sedan in the 30-40k range, the TL is the winner. :iceslolan Just test drive both cars and examine the exterior and interior as well as the luxury features

Coldfusionm3
12-09-2003, 12:26 AM
hey...dont worry...i had the same dilemma as you had...and to tell you the truth id rater get a G35 coupe...im not trying to favor the coupe b/c this is an infiniti forum...i think the new TL is a great car...but its still not as the same level as the G35 coupe...just ask yourself...how many TLs do you see in the road on a daily basis...the 04s well not yet...but you will sooner or later just like the '99 to '03 models....but you dont see that many G35s OR Infinitis on the road...just the name "Infiniti" overpowers "Acura"...its just too much of a modern car...also my dad test drove the vehicle...the only thing thats got people surprised is the 9 in navigation screen in the front...and the rear sport exhaust that comes on the vehicle...but id have to say...the G35 coupe would take out any of the cars in the line of Acura...with the exception of the NSX

That line of "the name INFINITI overpowers ACURA" is soo stupid. Acura and Infiniti are equal in terms of the status name. Lexus is up there but acura and infiniti are the same. Oh ya, and I used to own a 6 speed CL type S and i beat alot of G coupes with it. I only got this car because i wanted a car with a small sportier look

riffster
12-10-2003, 12:46 AM
The G35 Sedan is butt ugly. Every since that car came out, the exterior styling just looked ugly. If your choosing between the tl and G sedan, then id definitely tell you to get the TL. And performance wise, who cares if its rear wheel drive unless your going onto the track or if you plan to drift with your car. The TL is beautiful inside and out and it definitely shows what a luxury sedan is. Car and Driver just rated the TL at 5.7 zero to sixty which is pretty damn close to our G's . Oh ya, I have an 04 G35 Coupe. Bottom line, if you were deciding between the 04TL and A G coupe, Id tell you to get the G coupe...but since your deciding between the TL and G sedan, you really should get the TL. If i was looking for a sedan in the 30-40k range, the TL is the winner. :iceslolan Just test drive both cars and examine the exterior and interior as well as the luxury features

Styling is a matter of taste - personally I think the G35 sedan is nicer looking than the TL - that gash in the side of TL reminds me of a Saturn (and that's not a good thing.) The new TL is not as boring to look at and drive as past Acuras, but it's still a front-wheel driver and that automatically makes it second-best in my book because a sports sedan is supposed to be RWD.

The interior goes to Acura, but the exterior and the handling go to the G sedan, if only by a close margin.

It all depends what you want in your sedan - a true RWD sports sedan, or a comfy front-wheel driver with some pep. Your dismissal of the difference between RWD and front-wheel drive makes me wonder how much you really have driven cars 'on the edge.'

Having had my fill of torque steer with my old Legend, I went for the coupe - and btw, I have never lost AutoX to a TL or a CL :biggrin:

- Riff

chrisp0410
01-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I test drove both the 2004 Acura TL and the G35x and decided on the G35x. Living in Connecticut means that I need to consider winter driving and the memories of an old Corvette I once owned being buried in a snow drift made me forgo rear-wheel-drive. Thus, my only four viable choices (self proclaimed) were the Audi A4 Quattro, the BMW 330xi, the Acura TL and the Infinity G35.

Both the Audi and the BMW felt too small for my 6'3" frame so these were, regrettably, dismissed without even turning the ignition key.

I was almost sold on the Acura, especially with the DVD audio system and Navigation for under $35,000.00! Before plunking down the presidents on the Acura, however, I wanted to give the new AWD Infinity a run.

And I'm glad I did! With the G's rear-wheel-balanced AWD system, the car is propelled down the road and through the turns with the thrust and poise of a rear-wheel-drive car but with no wheel spin! The Acura is a car that you can definately feel being "pulled" down the road, a feeling inherent to front-wheel-drives. The best way I can describe the car's feel is this; as a driver you get into the Acura, while you wear the Infinity like a glove.

I will concede that the Acura offers more luxury bang for the buck. I'll also concede that the Acura will offer more trade-in value in the future but I purchase a vehicle for what it offers in the here and now. The driving experience is what sold me on the Infinity. I hope this helps in your decision. Cheers.

gti1689
01-14-2004, 10:57 AM
a g35 would be my choice because i own one. haha i bought the base specc model and I have to say it is bettern than the Tl that I test drove. the handling is sharper and the engine feels stronger. The bottom line is that the g35 is a 4-door skyline with an infiniti badge. the seats are very supportive and the exhaust note is amazing. might have to put an after market exhaust oon just so i can hear the rumble better. its mesmerizing. the way you get shoved in your seat. faster than my gti. thats for sure. ne way, don't mean to get to emotional, but in my opinion the g35 is the better car.

FX45 lover
01-17-2004, 02:57 PM
This is funny, because me and a friend were just talking about that. He wants to get a new car and we narrowed it down to the TL or the G35. Both are great cars. On the side of the TL, it is more refined than the G35. On the side of the G35, it has more power. But the TL feels richer and it is only a 10 hp difference. The biggest thing is like someone already said, it isn't rearwheel drive. Anyway, me and my friend ultimately decided on him leasing the G35 Coupe for 2 years, then getting a Mercedes E500 after that.

goldberg
02-02-2004, 09:14 PM
I am looking for a replacement for my 97 altima and the choices are G35 and TL 04.
Although I have been a fan of infiniti G35 for a long time cuz a lot of my friends have it and heard a lot of good things about it (like how it outrun 330i), but I might gonna choose the new TL unless I hear otherwise, please convince me
These are from my research since oct and I need your opinion too for comparison.
1. G35 is more affordable to me
2. G35 is faster in acceleration
3. I like G35 control panel so techy
4. G35 turning radius is better than TL
5. I feel more acceleration in G35
6. But I do like RWD better than FWD
7. The xterior is sleek and muscle looking on TL
8. Interior of TL is better in term of ergonomics, luxury that what I heard from a friend who own G35
9. I checked on Car and driver magazines that TL 0-60 is 5.7 secs while G35 5.9 secs
10. TL with 8 speakers and 225 watts and 5.1 DVD-A seems outbeat nakamichi and mark levinson (I read from an article)
11. Top speed which hardly can be achieved on street drivings but TL has 152 mph and while G35 146.
12. Voice command on climate, phone link and navigation seems interesting.
13. For me having the new TL will be a betrayal to all of my friends (mostly g35 or 3 series)

Thanks

g35xowner
04-04-2004, 03:47 PM
I've been looking at sedans around the 35k price range and these two were the best that i could find. The TL would be the automatic w/ navi and the G35 would be leather, automatic, premium package, and navi. They are both around teh 35k price range, so i was wondering, which one would you choose and why? I'll be posting this also in the G35 section, just to obtain mix responses... as the Acura side may greatly favor the TL, while the Inifiniti side may greatly favor the G35... so i'm posting in both.

Please don't forget to state reasons you would get either car... please don't say "because i like it..."

I looked at both these cars and bought the G35x without NAV. My reasons were:

1) Rarely did I see a need for NAV
2) Although I've owned both RWD and FWD cars both can slip in the rain as well as snow. The G35x is able to go pretty much full throttle in the rain - probably not in the snow - I wouldn't try that anyways. This thing seems glued to the road especially through turns under acceleration
3) I found the torque steer in a FWD with high HP annoying
4) I liked the sports suspension in the G35 it reminded me of my old RX7

jmcfall
04-05-2004, 02:20 AM
The TL vs. G35. Both are very capable cars. I owned a TL until my b*$@! of an ex. got it grrrrrr but that's a different story. The TL is a great car, nice interior, great fuel economy for HP, killer A/C and decent stereo. Frankly I liked the FWD and the way it pulled you through the turns during hard excelleration. Suspension handles like a dream. The leather is a little too soft for my liking. Dealers are very nice although you don't always get Acura loaner cars. Sometimes they stick you in local rental car, like a Suzuki. A freakin Suzuki!

I bought a Infiniti QX4 and what a difference in service. You are treated like royalty. When I have service done they have a G35 or FX35 gassed up and ready to go. Always do a good wash and vacuum.

The 2004 G35 is technically superior to the TL. G35 has a multilink front and rear suspension. Braking system is second to none. Motor Trend compares it to a Ferrari. 60-0 in 110', that is unbelievable.

Interior in the G35 feels much, much bigger. TL center console is too big, high and you feel sort of trapped in a hole. The G35 rear seats can recline which is nice. Infiniti's Navigation system is better with birdseye view. The TL's voice recognition was a very nice convenience. TL style getting a little old. OK for my dad but I want something fun to drive.

MunG35
04-14-2004, 06:58 PM
i faced this dilemma last year... my dad took the TL solely because he hated the look and feel of the G35 but now he hates the new TL too so i guess both are dead even... buy whatever matters to you and not others ... thats my opinion on buying these cars...

TheScientist
04-16-2004, 11:59 PM
If anything, the 2004 TL A-Spec :evillol: :evillol: . Otherwise, it would be a hard choice because both are considered sports sedans, near-luxury. Both have great power, great luxury, and everything u need in it for a great price. But recently, Consumer Reports considered the TL able to compete against cars as high as the BMW 525, and 530 and E320.

DHB_G35
04-25-2004, 03:19 AM
My wife and I have owned 5 Acuras in the last 12 years and her current car is a 2003 TL-S. They have always served us well but past history with resale values have been a disappointment. After 1996 the resale value of our Acuras never did as well as the residuals that had been set when we initially got the cars so we always wound up having to give the keys back at the end of the lease. The BMW's resale however was always a bit higher than the residual and we were able to make a small profit :-)

We shopped heavily before getting my G35 coupe this month and I really thought I would be getting a new TL or a BMW 325. After driving the G35 coupe, BMW 325, and TL, I knew the TL was the weakest choice in the group so far as overall performance was concerned and it was the least affordable. The torque steer on my wife's 03 TL-S is barely noticeable but the new TL has a ton of it above 4500 rpm's even with the auto tranny. The recent checkered history of Acura auto transmissions also made me wary of the TL. The only real technological advantages of the new TL over the G35 for me was the TL's DVD audio system which was extremely good for stock and the TL's bright instrumentation. The Navi interface was superior so far as user interaction goes but the Infinity system actually had more navigation centric features and did a better job routing and detouring in the ATL area and that's really what I need my Navi system to do! The blue-tooth capability in the TL is a nice touch but has hardware compatibility issues and not as good as an aftermarket installation which could be installed in any car.

If the 325 had more power it would have been the overall winner but a 330 which had the power was priced out of the TL and G35 range by a significant margin. The new TL is a great car and a good value but it's not a driving enthusiasts type of car. It doesn't handle as well as a G35C and it's not quite as fast plus the G35C has almost all of the interior convieniences as the TL. Most dealers in my area still aren't willing to knock off more than 500.00 on a new TL but I was able to negotiate 4500 off of the price on a new G35C with every factory option including Navi and negotiate a money rate of .00125 on a 36 mo., 15k/year lease. Given all of this the G35C was the best value for me at that time. IMHO, the TL looks very good but very few cars or women for that matter look as good as the G35C The only disappointment I had with the G35C was it's Blose stereo but that was easily and promptly corrected the following week. Unfortunately it isn't so easy to solve the TL's deficiencies with aftermarket parts.

jeffs_GTP_sleeper
04-26-2004, 06:29 AM
If you want an automatic sedan get an 04 Competition Group GTP, then put $1500 in mods into it. You would be faster before the mods and much faster afterwards. A four door sedan that runs 12s. JMO

CaTasHtRoPhE 67
08-04-2004, 11:09 PM
i would get a g35 because that there are more TL's out there G35 and the g35 is a coupe if you want a coupe thin get a g35 if you want a sedan more family car thin get a TL

Melinda40
09-07-2004, 06:05 PM
The G35. I test drove both. The TL doesn't have the athleticism that the G35 has. Go to Edmunds.com and see what the experts think...that's what I did. I just bought the G35.

tom_rvc
10-07-2004, 11:47 PM
I test drove the G 35, and I really liked it...but the salesman was a total sleezeball. I felt like I was shopping for a Kia. This made me decide to look at other cars. I ended up going with the Acura TL instead, with the navi. I thought the G 35 was really sweet, but some things were not as nice as the TL (really only refering to the interior). If you care about all wheel drive, go with the G 35, if you are ok with just front wheel drive (which handles very well in the snow) than go with the TL. The TL is a really fast car, I've had it for about 8 months, and I have no complaints. I'm glad that guy was a sleezeball. There are too many G 35's on the road anyway.

jmrev
10-08-2004, 12:51 PM
g35>tl........its fr.

jmrev
10-16-2004, 02:17 PM
i hate front wheel drive, but i love the the TL, but ill go with the skyline v35! (g35)

FikseGTS
10-27-2004, 10:04 PM
I like the TL in all areas over the G35 except that it's FWD..... too bad Acura didn't do a TLx with AWD..... I know it would be more money, but an M3 Sedan would be great.....

G35XAndTrailBlazer
11-30-2004, 11:20 PM
I would not reccomend buying the navi system. Its a rip off. 2k for it. Just get one that you can move arond from Vehicle to Vehicle.

if you live in a place with snow, i'd suggest getting the G35X with inteiligent AWD.

Add your comment to this topic!