Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Goodbye Citroën!

Guido
11-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Just writing this quick note that I'll be kissing my good old Citroën ZX 1.9D goodbye next week. Being 6,5 years old and +226.000kms on the tacho - of which 3 years and 154.000 kms in my hands - time had come to search for a replacement. I thought of keeping her until next year to replace her with a brand new C4, a new Peugeot 307SW, a new Picasso or a second hand C5. However funny noises - which started to worry me - were coming from under the bonnet again (probably the servo-pump dying again). That and the fact that I changed responsibilities at work, meaning more travelling by car, I decided to replace her before this winter.

So, I went to see the local Peugeot dealer first looking on what he could offer me for a 307SW. After a long and interesting conversation, I went to the Citroën dealer. Normally I'd go to the one in my town, but since the dealership closed at october 1st of this year, I went to the nearest 20kms down the road. The sales-guy there was on older chap with an -been there, done that, why don't you just sign the oder form - attitude, which set me off a bit immediately. Being a former sales man and current active in marketing, this guy did everything one should do to chase a possible new customer out of the showroom. :shakehead Of course Citroën is doing very well right now in Belgium, but that cannot justify his behaviour. Also the wife was not impressed with the build quality and interior design(Picasso) :screwy: compared to the 307SW. Anyway, when he offered only 1.000 euros for my ZX I had it and left. :newburn:

Back to the Peugeot dealer, after a long testdrive - which wasn't even on the discussion table at Citroën - and having the same "strong deal pricewise" in the pocket I decided to buy a Silver 307SW Pack. I even got 2.000 euros for my old 1.9D. :iceslolan

So for now it's goodbye to Citroën :disappoin and hello to Peugeot. :biggrin:

coupespace
11-07-2003, 02:04 PM
So for now it's goodbye to Citroën :disappoin and hello to Peugeot. :biggrin:

Which one ever you bought: PSA won!

Have fun with the SW. Much better than the Picasso. My second favorite car to buy. But only with at least 140 Diesel HP. Soon come...

My experiences when in contact with Citroën and Peugeot dealers: bad ones. Seems like you found a good one. Hopefully not a good one only in the show-room!

Best wishes

Holger

Guido
11-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks Holger. Well the local Citroën dealer was ok, but he went bankrupt last month... :eek7: The Peugeot where I live seems ok, yes,but 20 kms further away, both Citroën en Peugeot are from the same owner and that' a :nono:

Also the SW has a better build quality, interior etc, then the Picasso.

911S_TARGA_RSR
11-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Huddo, ever thought of a PORSCHE ? :)

Guido
11-08-2003, 06:59 AM
Huddo, ever thought of a PORSCHE ? :)

sure, but where can I get a Porsche for 20k euros that can carry comfortably 4 people over longer distances and can have some flightcases in tha back? Right, the Cayenne probably but not for that money... :grinno:

Stefanel1
11-08-2003, 03:08 PM
You bought the 307SW ! Nice car, very good. Which engige did you choose ? The Hdi 110 ? 2 000 € on your ZX and how much discount on the 307 if that's not undiscreet ?
Did'nt you think to the Scénic II ? Not a bad car at all even if I do personnally prefer the design of the 307 SW. And why not the C5 ?

Though, an excellent choice the Peugeot. Nice drive. Waiting for photos ! ;)

Stefanel1
11-08-2003, 03:12 PM
And indeed sometimes dealers are extremely not welcoming. That's uncredible.
I had the same problem when I was looking for my car (and that was "worse" as I was looking for a second hand :D ) : I was not always well welcoming. But when I had to work for a company and told to Renault, Alfa, Pug, Citroën and VW that I was working for a small company which needed to replace its 7 cars (C5, Picasso and Scénic), oddly, I was better greeted :D

Guido
11-09-2003, 04:18 AM
it's the 307 SW 109HDI Pack - in Belgium you can buy the SW or the SW Pack. As extra's the Pack has 16" alloys, automatic aircon + electrical windows in the back. List price is at 22.240 + 320 for metallic colour + 75 euros for retracktable (? don't know the correct English word for that) rear view mirrors. I pay 19.000 for it, which is a discount of 3.635. Citroën's pricing (with a reduction of 21%) is an even match and that also explains the reason probably why they only offered 1000 euro for the old ZX. At the end of the calculation, it's a close call, yes.

The Scenic, like I said previously, well... I just don't like the design of the new Renaults and they're still not reliable. I saw the first new Megane being towed last week. :rolleyes:

The C5, well, I guess it's an image thing. 307 looks a lot more sportier and younger, fresher then C5, which the wife considers more as a 'grand-pa' car :biggrin:

Oh yes, it's Alu Silver colour and probably I'll have it next week.

coupespace
11-10-2003, 02:53 PM
>>The Scenic, like I said previously, well... I just don't like the design of the new Renaults and they're still not reliable. I saw the first new Megane being towed last week. :rolleyes:<<

it ran out of gas... :) I drove Laguna II and now my second Avantime. Reliabilty has been perfect with the three of them. But I don't like the Scenic either, though we also have one - one of the older models. Perhaps the new Grand Scenic will be interesting.

>>The C5, well, I guess it's an image thing. 307 looks a lot more sportier and younger, fresher then C5, which the wife considers more as a 'grand-pa' car :biggrin:<<

ROFL. That's what C5-drivers don't like to read! We had a lot of angry discussions about that subject in the German Citroën forum. But I agree again, 'cause - when you take a look into those "baloons on wheels": Mostly Grandpa's are sitting inside - no, not in the back, but on the driver seat. And: They will be to old to drive until the C6 will finally come :))) & :meangrin:

Holger

tanirdriver
11-25-2003, 12:11 PM
"Perhaps the new Grand Scenic will be interesting."

At least it will look like a real car, being 4.49m in length if I remember well...

">>The C5, well, I guess it's an image thing. 307 looks a lot more sportier and younger, fresher then C5, which the wife considers more as a 'grand-pa' car :biggrin:<<

ROFL. That's what C5-drivers don't like to read! We had a lot of angry discussions about that subject in the German Citroën forum. But I agree again, 'cause - when you take a look into those "baloons on wheels": Mostly Grandpa's are sitting inside - no, not in the back, but on the driver seat."

Well it depends what state and city you're in. Fairly oddly this 'grand-pa car' expression seems to apply better to the Xantia than to the C5 in France, because most of the C5s I see are driven by men in their forties (especially in Paris). Probably because quite a lot of these cars are expensive company vehicles rather than cars for retired people who want to look well-off. That being said, with a lot of used yet recent C5s available on the market from 12,000 euros, expect to see quite a few granddads in them soon. (The Xantia was never as overpriced as the C5 when it was launched. Now you can easily get a 4,000-euro discount when you buy a C5 in some dealerships).

The funny thing is that in the UK (for example) the Xantia has got quite a dynamic image because it is slightly exotic (a bit like the Passat in France which is perceived as a delicately refined bourgeois car while it is extremely common in Germany).

And, incidentally, they say that many elderly people in France buy Renault Twingoes because they want to look young. :)

Regards,

Tanir

Stefanel1
11-25-2003, 05:22 PM
20% of a 307 SW ?????!!!! here we can't expect more than 8% on this car !

Guido
11-30-2003, 01:17 PM
20% of a 307 SW ?????!!!! here we can't expect more than 8% on this car !

I know, but Peugeot is trying to beat Citroën this year in the selling tables here in Belgium, so I guess they are trying to sell at any price at this point, now that they are missing the 106 and Citroën has the C3 and C2 to sell like crazy.

Lucky me I guess. :wink:

Guido
12-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Though, an excellent choice the Peugeot. Nice drive. Waiting for photos ! ;)

You can find one here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160699)

:wink:

Stefanel1
12-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Citroën sells more than Peugeot in Belgium ?????!!!
Don't you think that's funny that we speak English as our language is French ? :D :D

Guido
12-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Citroën sells more than Peugeot in Belgium ?????!!!
Don't you think that's funny that we speak English as our language is French ? :D :D

Who says my language is French :screwy: :grinno:

:wink:

Stefanel1
12-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Ah I was thinking that you were Wallon, but you seem to be Flemich.. or German ?... (52 people in Belgium :D)

Guido
12-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Ah I was thinking that you were Wallon, but you seem to be Flemich.. or German ?... (52 people in Belgium :D)

Flemish! yes indeed and it's I think somehting like 30.000 German speaking :biggrin:

Stefanel1
12-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Goede Dag,
Hoe goat het ? Hebt u een kamer vrij alst'u belieft ? God verdamt !
..... that's all I know in Flemmish :D :D :D ;)

Guido
12-09-2003, 02:56 AM
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!