Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wirelessly Networking ADSL

Oz
10-30-2003, 04:33 AM
Hi guys,
Prelim info - I think what we call ADSL you just call DSL in the states. It's 256/64

At the moment, I just have it hooked up to this computer via the NIC. My question is - can I just get an access point and plug the modem in and off she flies to add multiple computers or do I nee a dedicated wireless ADSL/broadband router or switch? If the latter, anyone care to name some bargain/good options.

:cheers:

If i decide to go wired - same question. Straight old hub or ADSL router/switch (what's the difference between a switch and a router anyway)?

:)

Neutrino
10-30-2003, 05:16 AM
Hi guys,
Prelim info - I think what we call ADSL you just call DSL in the states. It's 256/64

At the moment, I just have it hooked up to this computer via the NIC. My question is - can I just get an access point and plug the modem in and off she flies to add multiple computers or do I nee a dedicated wireless ADSL/broadband router or switch? If the latter, anyone care to name some bargain/good options.

:cheers:

If i decide to go wired - same question. Straight old hub or ADSL router/switch (what's the difference between a switch and a router anyway)?

:)

ok i'm a bit confused by what you are asking....

this is what i understand so far.....you just got DSL (so by default you have to have a DSL router) and from the router you have a cat5 running to your nic and you want to get more computers to acess the internet via the DSL

the wireless way would be to ad a wi-fi switch and then put wifi card in all your computers...btw sometimes DSL routers have built in or ad-on wifi

the wired way you have several options....either your DSL router has a few extra ports built in or out of the port that it has ad a switch in witch you can plug in all the computers you need

about the switch/router differences....i'll try a simplistic description

all a switch does is alow multple computers to conect to each other and if you want to share a common conection(of course there are more advanced ones like managed switches but those are more used in very complicaed networs in witch you need a large degree of control)

a router is a switch but it can have its own ip adress and of course a mac adress and the capacity of managing LANs

i hope this is clear enough...i'm not sure of your computer knowledge so i kept it simple

Oz
10-30-2003, 05:22 AM
I'm studying an IT degree and program in a couple of languages. Don't bother with simple. I just haven't fcuked around with networks for a long time.

I currently have an ADSL modem (DLink DSL300) running from a phone line connected to my NIC with CAT5. So that'll definately need to be plugged into something (hub or router). I wanna go wireless, if costs can be kept reasonable. What do I need?

Neutrino
10-30-2003, 05:54 AM
I'm studying an IT degree and program in a couple of languages. Don't bother with simple. I just haven't fcuked around with networks for a long time.

I currently have an ADSL modem (DLink DSL300) running from a phone line connected to my NIC with CAT5. So that'll definately need to be plugged into something (hub or router). I wanna go wireless, if costs can be kept reasonable. What do I need?

well what you need is to attach (via cat5) to the DSL router a wifi(wireless) switch....I recommend one of the new generation 802.11g due to the speed increase (over 40mb/s) or if you want to keep it cheaper one of the older generation 802.11b

Then each computer will have to have a wifi NIC (of course make sure its compatible with the type of protocol you'll have g or b)

from the router(via the management software) tell it to create a VAN or NAT and give the ip range for the computers that will be connected....make sure you reserve 10.0.0.1 for the router a rage from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.100 for example

On the wifi switch (trough its management software) -for security reasons- restrict access only to the mac addresses of your computers.....you can find the mac of each computer by entering in command line >ipconfig /all

The mac address will be called physical address

And of course you would have to configure the ip settings of each computer with its own ip address within the range specified in the router

Then enter the rest of the info of course the default gateway is the router address which as mentioned earlier will be 10.0.0.1 then the dns addresses etc

If you are unsure what the dns addresses and subnet masks are just run as mentioned earlier ipconfig /all and they will be displayed so write them down now

btw my suggestion would be to ditch the current dlink router....I really don't like dlink or linksys and get a DSL router with a built in wifi usrobotics makes an awesome one...this way you have only one product you mess with instead of two...

Price wise I don't know you need to shop around....going with cat5's is cheaper more secure and faster but of course you have to stretch a bunch of cables

I hope you’ve found my advice good...and I hope I did not left anything out.....if you need more details or need clarification about something don't hesitate to post

Oz
10-30-2003, 03:08 PM
:cheers: mate. But i still don't have a DSl router. I have a DSL modem that goed straight into the 'puter. Sounds like a need a wifi routr/switch. :) Oh, and the wireless NICs. Duh.

Neutrino
10-30-2003, 11:42 PM
:cheers: mate. But i still don't have a DSl router. I have a DSL modem that goed straight into the 'puter. Sounds like a need a wifi routr/switch. :) Oh, and the wireless NICs. Duh.

so you have no router....i did not even know you could get DSL without a router....most of the dsl setups i've seen had the modem and router in one...the few others had them separate(very rare though)...of couse all those had multiple computers hooked up...i guess you don't need a router when you have only a computer....

anyway yes you will need a router and a wifi switch if you want multiple computers....fortunatelly there are plenty of wifi routers out there so you don't have to buy two things....

heck even dls modems with built in wifi routers are common if you get one of those you don't need anything else(except the wifi nics of course)....its nice to have them all in one

Webmaster_Zeus
10-30-2003, 11:52 PM
A router is not required at all, as the IP is issued by your ISP and not the actual device itself. Think of it as u connecting to a DHCP server of some sort, which is really is in essence.

Yes you can just plug it in and it will share, but what happends is your ISP will issue multiple ISP (to each computer that access the internet that is) and they might/might not allow you to do such things (pending per contact u signed up).

Also depending on your contract you might not even be allowed to share your internet connection at all. Depending if your allowed to have multiple IP from the ISP, then a normal hub will do, but if it isn't allowed, you def need a router, or setup a linux router of some sort, it's cheap, powerful, effective, and can act as a firewall.

But recommandation is go the router, hence y I got a DSL 504 :p

Neutrino
10-31-2003, 12:06 AM
A router is not required at all, as the IP is issued by your ISP and not the actual device itself. Think of it as u connecting to a DHCP server of some sort, which is really is in essence.

Yes you can just plug it in and it will share, but what happends is your ISP will issue multiple ISP (to each computer that access the internet that is) and they might/might not allow you to do such things (pending per contact u signed up).

Also depending on your contract you might not even be allowed to share your internet connection at all. Depending if your allowed to have multiple IP from the ISP, then a normal hub will do, but if it isn't allowed, you def need a router, or setup a linux router of some sort, it's cheap, powerful, effective, and can act as a firewall.

But recommandation is go the router, hence y I got a DSL 504 :p

that is why i said "i guess you don't need a router if you have a single computer"....problem is that i'm so used to run multiple computers that my brain is defaulting the use of a router

and really doubt his isp will give him more than one ip adress without extra charge so he will need a router for more computers...you know how big of a pain the isp's are

plus the fun thing with a router is that you can have the security of a VAN and more control over ports

Oz
10-31-2003, 10:00 PM
OK. Need wireless router. :cheers: guys. Will go hunt on ebay.

Oz
10-31-2003, 10:11 PM
Found exactly what I want need on ebay. 54m ADSl Wireless Router starting about $220. :) Nice one fellas.

Neutrino
11-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Found exactly what I want need on ebay. 54m ADSl Wireless Router starting about $220. :) Nice one fellas.

sweet...see what you can find....maybe look around for some reviews see aht people like.....btw make sure the router is wireless and not just wireless ready and you have to buy more stuff...

Oz
11-01-2003, 04:35 PM
:cheers: again mate. Will do.

Neutrino
11-01-2003, 10:56 PM
:cheers: again mate. Will do.

what can I say? We live to serve the mighty moderators :worshippy

Add your comment to this topic!