Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Swap...

iLLuCiv99
12-09-2001, 11:34 AM
Sup guys...hey I was looking to do a swap on my '99 civic ex...I dont know much about it though. Can I do it if I have automatic transmission? What kind of engine do u guys suggest? I was looking at the B18c5...thats the JDM Integra Type-R right? It has a HUGE price tag....What would be better to put into my car? I dont know if it would be better to put the B18c or the H22a....1.8L vs 2.2L ? is it worth the money? Or should I just go with a gsr?...I want something with LOTS of power thats y i was looking at the B18c....also r the swaps very difficult? What are the parts I would need to replace?! Thanks
-iLLuCiv

VTEC_boi
12-09-2001, 11:50 AM
You can swap if you have an automatic transmission - but they don't make B18C5s automatic. There are RARE versions of the automatic GSR (SiG) and B16A motors - VERY RARE. It would be easier just getting a 5spd. conversion.

I suggest a B18C1 (GSR) or B16A2 (same motor in 99-00 Civic Si). For their relatively low price (when compared to B18C5) and large aftermarket.

B18C5 is the Integra R engine - in Japan they're simply called B18C Spec-R motors, and the block is stamped B18C. Whereas on USDM Integra Rs the motor says B18C5.

The H22A will require a bit more time, work, and money.

www.hybrid.honda-perf.org << Civic swap info MECHA!

If u have anymore questions AIM: ThEvTeCbOi

iLLuCiv99
12-09-2001, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by VTEC_boi
You can swap if you have an automatic transmission - but they don't make B18C5s automatic. There are RARE versions of the automatic GSR (SiG) and B16A motors - VERY RARE. It would be easier just getting a 5spd. conversion.

I suggest a B18C1 (GSR) or B16A2 (same motor in 99-00 Civic Si). For their relatively low price (when compared to B18C5) and large aftermarket.

B18C5 is the Integra R engine - in Japan they're simply called B18C Spec-R motors, and the block is stamped B18C. Whereas on USDM Integra Rs the motor says B18C5.

The H22A will require a bit more time, work, and money.

www.hybrid.honda-perf.org << Civic swap info MECHA!

If u have anymore questions AIM: ThEvTeCbOi

Thanks for the advice....how much would it be to get a 5 spd. conversion? Is it alot of work??

VTEC_boi
12-09-2001, 01:18 PM
They are fairly expensive - around 1K (more or less, usually more).
And, you must source out shift linkage (from the same or similar car as motor), a pedal assembly...

Very expensive, but very worthwhile.

iLLuCiv99
12-09-2001, 01:23 PM
hey vtecboi sweet ride man....how much was the 5-lug conversion? Where did u get the type-R motor? a hookup? did it take alot of work to put in? nice ride by the way peace
-iLLuCiv

VTEC_boi
12-09-2001, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by iLLuCiv99
hey vtecboi sweet ride man....how much was the 5-lug conversion? Where did u get the type-R motor? a hookup? did it take alot of work to put in? nice ride by the way peace
-iLLuCiv

huh?:confused:

sparq
12-09-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by VTEC_boi

huh?:confused:

I think he mistakenly thought the car on your website was yours???? Who knows :) I guess he doesnt know you cant drive :D

iLLuCiv99
12-09-2001, 05:55 PM
oh my bad I thought that civic was your ride man.....my bad lol.....heh

VTEC_boi
12-09-2001, 06:02 PM
it's all good - my SUPER knowledge confuses people sometimes haha j/k

Sparq is right tho - I can't drive yet! :D

Rgacke
12-16-2001, 01:53 PM
This probably isn't the answer your lookin' for but I'd sell your car, get a slightly older one w/5spd. You could still stay w/a newer model but get like a DX w/high miles or something. Think about it, the engine is gonna get replaced, probably the suspention too. Unless your have a spiritual bond to your car it would be eassier and you'll get a little extra money out off it. Anyways good luck w/your swap and remember to get a helms manuel for your car and the engine you get.:cool:

Add your comment to this topic!