Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

typr r head

freekinfreak
09-21-2003, 06:09 PM
I have a 97 GSR and I am lookin into doin some head work.I was wondering if I should p&p the head,angled valves with some new cams, or go with a Type R head.Also, would a Civic Type R head fit on my block? Thx for helpin a schmuck newbie.

90CRXZCSi
09-21-2003, 10:39 PM
I would go with the Type R head personally. It flows better than all the B series heads. And to answer your ? about the CTR head..yes it will fit.

KrNxRaCer00
09-22-2003, 12:20 AM
I would go with the Type R head personally. It flows better than all the B series heads. And to answer your ? about the CTR head..yes it will fit.

so u know its jus a b16a head guys...

u are correct that it is the best flowing (which is why they chose it over the b18c1 head)

94tegRS
09-22-2003, 12:22 AM
isnt the head off of the B16B the "best" b series head???

freekinfreak
09-22-2003, 02:15 PM
so u know its jus a b16a head guys...

u are correct that it is the best flowing (which is why they chose it over the b18c1 head)
So if I did a search for the ctr head, i could just type in b16a?

90CRXZCSi
09-22-2003, 06:17 PM
no, the ITR head is just a B16A head port and polished. Just search for B16B if you want a CTR head.

freekinfreak
09-22-2003, 10:45 PM
What else would I need to swap b16b? Would I need a new ecu? Haven't found any info on this swap through searches.Thx.

Spectre927
09-23-2003, 09:40 AM
If the B16a is better than the GSR head, why is the GSR head still several hundred more(atleast around here) and when I talk about putting like B20/Vtec in my car and sell my B18c1, they tell me I should keep my head? Does anyone know what would happen with a B16a head on a B18c1 bottom end, like horespower wise.

94tegRS
09-23-2003, 10:36 AM
well, if you have a gsr and want to go crvtec then thereason id save your head, cuz the GSR intake manifold onlygoes to the GSR head, so you dont need one of these, and your intake manifold has the butterflies in it and yor ecu controls them, and you already have a vtec head, so basically all you need ais a block and some oil lines and you are done, you got all the stuff you ned to make a CRVTEC by stealing shit from your B18C1, man you people who start with vtec are lucky, I got a nice shopping list going of what I need for my CRVTEC

Spectre927
09-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks dude. I was always curious. But I plan on getting headers, and the ls skunk2 manifolds are cheaper than the GSR ones. As for headers, are all B series interchangeable? Atleast you have OBD1. speaking of which, Skunk2 OBD2 to OBD1 harness for sale if anyone is interested. just make an offer

94tegRS
09-23-2003, 10:29 PM
if you are going to have vtec, you cant use a skunk 2 intake manifold for the LS, you have to either use the GSR one on the GSR or the B16 or type R one for either head, and about the headers, all B series have the same mounting dimensions on the head itself, but Ive heard a B20 is a slightly taller block than a B16 so then it might not clear the block, but never seen it in person. plus about why the GSR would be better I dont know(unless thats what you start with) cuz the B16 manifold flows better than the GSR one and you have to use the B16 or ITR head to use the B16 or ITR intake manifold. I almost wanna buy a ITR swap to build my CRVTEC cuz Id have the awesome tranny, plus the good head and all the snsors and ecu needed, but having such short gears Ill be at 4500+ on the freeway for long periods of time and I dont see this being good for a B20 at all. if anyone thinks opposite me like as in it wont be a problem please post.

Add your comment to this topic!