Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Upgrade Complete!

Pages : [1] 2

igor@af
08-14-2003, 09:35 PM
The upgrade has been successfully completed.
Hopefully everyone will enjoy the various new features that we now offer on AF.

A full list of new features will be compiled in the near future.

Please post your thoughts on this new change here and report any bugs you notice on the site. Please be as specific as possible.

Enjoy!!

supratuner
08-14-2003, 10:00 PM
The upgrade has been successfully completed.
Hopefully everyone will enjoy the various new features that we now offer on AF.

A full list of new features will be compiled in the near future.

Please post your thoughts on this new change here and report any bugs you notice on the site. Please be as specific as possible.

Enjoy!!

does AF being down have any thing to do with the power outage in NY???

sorry but i dont like the new look

TorinoGT69
08-14-2003, 10:14 PM
The avatars are not showing up now on my computer. Also you can't just view the latest posts, it makes you search a keyword.

tman
08-14-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm having the Avatar problem as well. I cant edit my own avatar in th User CP either.

Haibane
08-14-2003, 10:20 PM
I'm having the Avatar problem as well. I cant edit my own avatar in th User CP either.
Who needs avatars, this is quite interesting btw

jon@af
08-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Im curious as to why some of us have the AF enthusiest stars and others don't. Kinda odd.

igor@af
08-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Im curious as to why some of us have the AF enthusiest stars and others don't. Kinda odd.

I will work on the avatar issue. thanks.

Diesel2NR
08-14-2003, 11:17 PM
I will work on the avatar issue. thanks.

Thanks, Igor, as I was just about to upload a new avitar and happened to notice the new style. I personally like it. I'll be waiting patiently to upload my avitar. Thanks again. Looks good!

Neutrino
08-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Yay...upgrade......[COLOR=red][FONT=times new roman][SIZE=7]Igor Rules!!! [/SIZE=7][/FONT=times new roman][/COLOR=red]:worshippy :worshippy :worshippy

BTW not sure but looks like there might be some trouble with tags

-The Stig-
08-14-2003, 11:32 PM
AF 2.0 kinda... Sucks.
:thumbsdow

Sorry, Igor... I'm not a fan of what you did to the place... It's a bit too cartoonish with the big fonts and all. Looks too much like AOL.
:disappoin

Igor's Idea > :thinkerg:
AF users > :comprage1

Kidding... but at first glance I thought the AOL demons had taken over the place. :lol:

carrrnuttt
08-14-2003, 11:38 PM
My posts...look like this:(.

Neutrino
08-14-2003, 11:43 PM

it must be your fault :shakehead

:lol:

2strokebloke
08-14-2003, 11:45 PM

Didn't the old format use a slightly darker blue background? (I may be crazy, but I think so anyway) It was easier on the eyes. Other than that (and the problems people have already mentioned) seems good to me.

2strokebloke
08-14-2003, 11:48 PM
Didn't the old format use a slightly darker blue background? (I may be crazy, but I think so anyway) It was easier on the eyes. Other than that (and the problems people have already mentioned) seems good to me.

Also, why does it automatically quote when replying in a thread even when I don't click on "quote?" The forums at dvdfile.com used to do this, and it always pisses me off. Otherwise still o.k.

carrrnuttt
08-14-2003, 11:52 PM
"Post Reply" and "reply" are two different things...

2strokebloke
08-15-2003, 12:00 AM
"Post Reply" and "reply" are two different things...

I'm getting this from somebody who's posts are giant blue squares? Well I liked the "post reply" button better where it used to be, out of habbit and that it's right where it needs to be. Also, why do the smilies "circulate" through the box on the left? Everytime I post, there's a different selection of smilies over there - confusing. It's like "bizzaro world" but not as retarded, or funny.

rubix777
08-15-2003, 12:14 AM
I like the new look and the cookies are useful.

doh, no more avatars. :(

Neutrino
08-15-2003, 01:19 AM
i second the motion to switch back to the darker blue color....it was much easier on the eyes

also it might be nice if the normal post reply and post reply with quote w side by side where they used to be.....

i'm not complaining i'm just making a few sugestions....i understand that upgrading a forum of this size must be quite a challenge

:)

YogsVR4
08-15-2003, 10:26 AM
:frown: Sorry to see the place change. I really like the look and feel of the last itteration. As was said before, its almost cartoonish in comparison. I'm not running away because of it, but if there's any chance of switching back (or to something closer to it) then it has my vote.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Graphik Styles
08-15-2003, 10:54 AM
i definately like this one better....heh it was kind of weird....because the power went out for me.....and then i come back and see everything like this.....i thought it was my computer......so i checked all the settings and they were normal....and thats when i noticed the thread in Off-Topic about the new forums look....and i looked down at myself and thought.......you are an idiot....and thats about it..........but yeh the forums do look good......i like them better this way..

igor@af
08-15-2003, 11:04 AM
:frown: Sorry to see the place change. I really like the look and feel of the last itteration. As was said before, its almost cartoonish in comparison. I'm not running away because of it, but if there's any chance of switching back (or to something closer to it) then it has my vote.

The style will change to reflect the majority opinion of preferring the old one.

Which parts exactly do you guys not like?

sugarcaddy
08-15-2003, 11:05 AM
:werd: :puke::puke::puke::screwy::comprage1

This is how I feel about the new AF. I want my avatar back, and I want my stars!! The whole thing about not being able to do the [img] thing has got to go. About the only thing I like is the color change.

Scott

igor@af
08-15-2003, 11:16 AM
:werd: :puke::puke::puke::screwy::comprage1

This is how I feel about the new AF. I want my avatar back, and I want my stars!! The whole thing about not being able to do the [img] thing has got to go. About the only thing I like is the color change.

Scott

What '[img] thing' are you talking about? It should working fine.

sugarcaddy
08-15-2003, 11:27 AM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/180038torero.jpg

:dunno: that problem. :newburn: You cant post an image any more direct to the forum....

Scott

igor@af
08-15-2003, 11:31 AM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/180038torero.jpg

:dunno: that problem. :newburn: You cant post an image any more direct to the forum....

Scott

Yes you can. You need to make sure you don't put any spaces between the [img-] tags and the URL of the image.

rubix777
08-15-2003, 11:53 AM
I have the save username/password checked, but it just ignores it. I have to relogin for each link I click as if it didn't use cookies.

If it was working, it would be really useful.

YogsVR4
08-15-2003, 11:53 AM
The style will change to reflect the majority opinion of preferring the old one.

Which parts exactly do you guys not like?

Having the reply and quote buttons were very handy where they were.

I can foresee that the ‘reputation points’ is going to be a mess.

The message banner (that dark blue strip) on the posts along with the post number looks awful to me. Along with that, I preferred that the date of the post was on it instead of the words yesterday or today.

That darn ‘This thread is useless without pics’ smilie is sucking up half the screen on the clickable smilies box. I reported that on the other thread about any issues with the upgrade.

In general, I don’t see as much of the thread per screen as I used to. I like how tight they were to each other.

I liked the old light blue AF logo instead of the newer red one, but that’s out of nostalgia. Even Greenspan agrees http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/642665OldAF.jpg

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

2strokebloke
08-15-2003, 03:08 PM
We still have the "quote" button, but it's labeled (rather confusingly) "reply"

I can too.

The message banner (that dark blue strip) on the posts along with the post number looks awful to me. Along with that, I preferred that the date of the post was on it instead of the words yesterday or today.
I agree.

That darn ‘This thread is useless without pics’ smilie is sucking up half the screen on the clickable smilies box. I reported that on the other thread about any issues with the upgrade.
I think it's been fixed already.

Other than that, I think everything I already didn't like has been fixed - but what just got on my nerves today, is that you have to scroll to the very bottom of the forums to find out who's viewing them - I'd rather have the list o viewers at the top, where I can see them if this wouldn't be too much of a problem (but now that they're in a box, rather than just floating around it might be)

boingo82
08-15-2003, 03:11 PM

I like that there are more fonts to choose from - but I don't care for the new default much.

Like Yogs said, the posts now are too spaced out and that makes for too much scrolling. The default font should be smaller and the posts closer together.

I agree w/ Yogs about the Logo. The RED doesn't go with ANYTHING else on the site! In addition it isn't anti-aliased and would look better if it were.

I wouldn't mind seeing a color theme change if the red were worked into it - maybe it's time to get away from purple?

Instead of having "Reply" and the other one at the bottom, what about a little "Reply"/"Quote" checkbox on each post so we can quote multiple people in one post? I know this is possible, I have seen it on other Vbulletin forums.

Thanks for accepting input Iggy.

Thepeug
08-15-2003, 05:34 PM
I know change is tough, but I don't like the new format at all. No avatar, no vehicle description. Everything's bigger, more spread out, and more confusing. But like I said, change is tough.

boingo82
08-15-2003, 06:56 PM
I really like the way it shows the new post in the notification email - if you know what I mean. I also like the way we can attach more types of files - JUST jpg was pretty limiting.

I really liked the way that all the colors matched before - now, the problem is the color scheme is not cohesive. See attachment. There are 5 different colors in this snapshot, the "Post new reply" light blue, with the "reply to thread" dark blue and yellow, the "logged in user" light purple and the "post subject" med. purple. Some links turn orange when you mouseover, some turn yellow, and some turn red. The AF logo is teal, which doesn't match anything, and though it's a BETTER logo, it's still not anti-aliased and looks "chunky".

Then there is the fonts issue. I'll try to explain with the second snapshot: look, there are at least 4 different fonts here, all sans-serif, too similar to each other and yet different enough that it just GRATES on me.

Graphik Styles
08-15-2003, 10:52 PM
I really like the way it shows the new post in the notification email - if you know what I mean. I also like the way we can attach more types of files - JUST jpg was pretty limiting.

I really liked the way that all the colors matched before - now, the problem is the color scheme is not cohesive. See attachment. There are 5 different colors in this snapshot, the "Post new reply" light blue, with the "reply to thread" dark blue and yellow, the "logged in user" light purple and the "post subject" med. purple. Some links turn orange when you mouseover, some turn yellow, and some turn red. The AF logo is teal, which doesn't match anything, and though it's a BETTER logo, it's still not anti-aliased and looks "chunky".

Then there is the fonts issue. I'll try to explain with the second snapshot: look, there are at least 4 different fonts here, all sans-serif, too similar to each other and yet different enough that it just GRATES on me.

boingo if you check out the other thread, called Upcoming Forum Cleanup.....you will see i said the same thing about the logo.....i made some of my own.......but not to offend anyone or anything....but basically to just give some kinda idea......

boingo82
08-15-2003, 11:22 PM
boingo if you check out the other thread, called Upcoming Forum Cleanup.....you will see i said the same thing about the logo.....i made some of my own.......but not to offend anyone or anything....but basically to just give some kinda idea......

I saw that, and like the 1st one the best.

dirtydx
08-15-2003, 11:27 PM
i don't like the new design. and neither do my army of emoticons
http://www.geocities.com/sonik90/wwaf.html

DVS LT1
08-16-2003, 01:55 AM
Hi there. Getting rid of the avatar and car descriptions(make, model, etc...) next to our name/handle seems to promote AF as being a much more universal and common "automotive enthusiasts" forum - which is good in one respect: you tend to actually read all of what the other person has posted with a non-biased approach, as opposed to "Not another Mustang or Civic owner .... oh I'll shut him up!"

However, the new setup all but eliminates the character and charm that really made every AF enthusiast unique. Now we seem to be merely a list of names. As he kind of illustrated: "carrrnuttt" - is now simply, "some carnut" :thumbsdow (its not the same).

I understand if these changes were brought about to save memory from all the images or something, or to sort of calm hostilities between rival car groups(if these are even big problems? I don't know). Nevertheless, I for one feel that each member should be given the opportunity to represent themselves (at the top of each post) a bit more that just "DVS LT1" from here or there.

I mean shit, I could be driving an Impalla or a Tahoe for all you know!?! :nono:

EDIT: and even though the old info is now in the profile section, its too much trouble to go in each time just to find out what every other member is driving. :tongue:

igor@af
08-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi there. Getting rid of the avatar and car descriptions(make, model, etc...) next to our name/handle seems to promote AF as being a much more universal and common "automotive enthusiasts" forum - which is good in one respect: you tend to actually read all of what the other person has posted with a non-biased approach, as opposed to "Not another Mustang or Civic owner .... oh I'll shut him up!"

However, the new setup all but eliminates the character and charm that really made every AF enthusiast unique. Now we seem to be merely a list of names. As he kind of illustrated: "carrrnuttt" - is now simply, "some carnut" :thumbsdow (its not the same).

I understand if these changes were brought about to save memory from all the images or something, or to sort of calm hostilities between rival car groups(if these are even big problems? I don't know). Nevertheless, I for one feel that each member should be given the opportunity to represent themselves (at the top of each post) a bit more that just "DVS LT1" from here or there.

I mean shit, I could be driving an Impalla or a Tahoe for all you know!?! :nono:

EDIT: and even though the old info is now in the profile section, its too much trouble to go in each time just to find out what every other member is driving. :tongue:

The vehicle fields and avatars and all the little things we had before the upgrade WILL be back, however, it will take a little time to ensure everything is running as smooth as possible.

freakray
08-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Whatever happened to the buddy list?
I can see where to edit the buddy and ignore list, but where do I actually view the list of who is online and who isn't?

Maybe I am missing something, but I have searched and not found anything :screwy:

tman
08-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Buddy and Ignore list is in User CP

Whos online is at the bottom of the main forums page.

badassgremlin
08-16-2003, 11:03 AM
igor i think its pretty cool lol im away for ONE day and you change AF on me lol but once again i think it's nice :bigthumb:

freakray
08-16-2003, 11:31 AM
Buddy and Ignore list is in User CP

Whos online is at the bottom of the main forums page.

OK, I think you totally misread my post, I did not ask where the 'who's online' list is, that is plain to see for everyone, and I did not ask where the Edit buddy/ignore list is, because like I said, I already know where that is.

My question was about where I view my personal buddy list with a check next to 'who's online'.
In the old version, if I went to my profile page/User CP there was the list on the left that showed all my buddies with who is online and who isn't.
I don't see that list anymore and was asking if it has been moved elsewhere?

Now do you see what I am asking?:dunno:

rubix777
08-16-2003, 12:05 PM
here's what I found out.

Look in the upper right corner after you have logged in under the Home link.

Below it are 5 arrows pointing to the right.

Click on the first arrow to open the buddy list. it seems to have been hadded as a shortcut

:2cents: :naughty:

freakray
08-16-2003, 12:31 PM
here's what I found out.

Look in the upper right corner after you have logged in under the Home link.

Below it are 5 arrows pointing to the right.

Click on the first arrow to open the buddy list. it seems to have been hadded as a shortcut

:2cents: :naughty:

When I tried those arrows yesterday they were 'dead' so I didn't think of trying them again.

numbware
08-16-2003, 01:34 PM
well, this is what happens when i sleep to much and don't go on AF, everything changes. but i like the new design, i'm just gonna have to get used to it.

Prelewd
08-16-2003, 03:49 PM
I second/third/fourth the notion to put the reply and quote buttons back the way they were.

The colors are a bit straining on the eye at times, especially 3AM in the dark with a flatscreen.

The old design seemed more flowing, and this seems a bit chunky/boxy.

Overall, I like the new features. I just think the old ones should be put back where they were.

EDIT: Just now, I had to look for the edit button. Also, the cells that contain the avatar seem a little wide. I feel sorry for users with 800x600 screen res.

EDIT2: Everything seems faster.

sweetwhiteCAV
08-16-2003, 09:04 PM
whats up with the reputation button.... is that new, or did i just not notice it before? :smokin:

tman
08-16-2003, 09:12 PM
OK, I think you totally misread my post

Haha, my bad, sorry about that!

freakray
08-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Haha, my bad, sorry about that!

No big deal, I wasn't trying to be pissy about it. :cool:

Sean
08-16-2003, 11:38 PM
I didn't even notice until I read this thread. I'm on a different computer, so at first I thought that was the cause. Then I read this thread and found out what was up. I guess I'll get used to it in time.

sageuvagony
08-17-2003, 02:58 AM
BRING BACK THE OLD AF!!! This design just.... sucks... sorry to say it but... everyone was happy with the old design... this change has driven away alot of AF users... Please bring back the old AF! :crying:

igor@af
08-17-2003, 10:46 AM
BRING BACK THE OLD AF!!! This design just.... sucks... sorry to say it but... everyone was happy with the old design... this change has driven away alot of AF users... Please bring back the old AF! :crying:

This change has driven away a lot of users?

If it's true, then those who left are not really the type we'd want here on AF as I have specifically stated that the style and some of the other things are currently temporary and the entire community will be shaped by what the members want. It's their loss :smooch:

tman
08-17-2003, 01:29 PM
I really do like the new design, good job Igor!

Shortbus
08-17-2003, 03:33 PM

"Change happens. We can't control much of the world changing around us. But we can control how we respond. We can choose to anticipate and embrace changes or resist them. Resisting change is usually like trying to push water upstream."

I welcome the change to the new version 3. It will become as familiar as the old version with time.

jon@af
08-17-2003, 05:58 PM
I really do like the new design, good job Igor!

tman, out of curiosity (sorry for being OT) how did you get your information under your username and such to be blue like that?

tman
08-17-2003, 10:57 PM
It's not my fault, forum error, I suppose, take your time fixing that Igor, It makes me unique!

Hiroboy
08-18-2003, 02:10 AM
Just a small question, is this new that the signature can only be 500 charactures long.
The one I was trying to create was 187 but with the html code it was over 500, Can this max be upped to 1000 please
It was basically as below but included other recent works

Thanks

Sluttypatton
08-18-2003, 05:38 AM
I may have missed this but what are reputation points? I am sort of unsure about their purpose. Also, in order to get my avatar back, will I need to reload it? I see others with theirs, but mine is not showing up. I think the new format is interesting and much more functional...thanks Igor.

tman
08-18-2003, 07:25 AM
In the AF news forum, there are already threads about that, but I'll help you anyway:wink:

You will neeed to reload your avatar

Reputation points are based on what other members think of you.

YogsVR4
08-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Can the similar threads feature be removed? I think its fully responsible for the rash of outdated threads getting posts on. People are seeing those, clicking on them and then putting in a response without ever looking at the origination date. Then someone else sees it up on top of the forum and posts a reply to that. Its moving towards epidemic proportions! - a little millardo overreation lingo there :wink:

Thepeug
08-18-2003, 01:57 PM
I agree. Lately, I've had multiple responses to threads that I posted two months ago. Gets a little redundant.

Cyprus106
08-19-2003, 04:29 PM
I don't like the restriction to the sig at all! I can't edit my sig because ANYTHING i want to put is too long now. And I don't like having to scroll so far down for my PMs and

like someone said earlier... i kinda feel generic. with no real available customiztion under my name or anything.

Add your comment to this topic!