Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which car does it all?

MattyG
11-27-2001, 04:27 PM
Hi All,

Im kinda bored at work so I though I'd relate a car discussion I had with my flatmate last night. We were both talkin cars (surprise surprise). We started on 200SX's and how they were pretty quick. I related how I was reading up on car modding and what not on the net, and how cool it would be to try that on a car of my own. Let me say first that I love driving, but I am no expert under the bonnet (Hood?).

Anyway, problem is, although I have next to no experience in the all that kind of high horsepower performance mods seem to me kinda... wel.....budget. Installing custom cold air boxes, boost contrlloers, and whatnot all seems kinda like hard work to me - and most people do it themsleves, sometimes with disastrous results. Seems to me most of the time the engines aren't designed to be taken to high horsepower levels anyway, and if they did, you have a whole new set of headaches....worrying about how much boost you can safely use, what new injectors/components are required (then you got to track them down) what kind of petrol to have etc...sure for some people that would be fun Im probably not one of them.

I Was reading on the net before about these guys driving around in a 300KW GTR. Sounded pretty sweet, until they talked about not being able to get top performance out of the car with normal fuel. Logical I suppose, but it just sounds like added hassle to use custom fuel to me.

Anyway, your vehicle would then become a toy I reckon - which is fine if you have a daily car, but I would wager most people who are trying to do up there import jappers don't have a second car to fall back on should their toy blow up. If I could only afford one car, I would want a car with great grunt that could be used as a daily driver without worrying about the consquences of engine modifications (legal or otherwise) etc....

Then my flatmate mentioned that his Auntie has a Porsche Boxter, it goes awesome but apparently she regrets buying it. Reason being that the road noise becomes tiresome, and it rattles!! I mean come on, I understand its a sports car, but jeez, if you're gonna spend 100K (NZ) or whatever on a car, you don't expect it to rattle! Imagine putting up with that along a motorway for long periods.

So that got me thinking. Is there a car where you can have it all - storming performance, creature comforts like A/C, stereo, comfortable cabin, etc...great build quality, bulletproof engine, and non-intrusive cabin noise (except maybe when you are gunning it). Well after going around in circles, and looking at a few beemers in the weekend, the BMW M3 I reckon has got to be the car that bets fits that description. M3 it is for me I think. What do you reckon?

I know there are some exotcs fans out there....but Im imposing a one car restriction....I'm talkin going to the shops for groceries or whatever as well as the "good times", and you (hypothetically) only have one car. I'd rather do it in an M3 than a 300KW Skyline which I spent big $$$ on modding, costs me a fortune to insure, and you can only use the best performance fuel from running it from your own personal supply of high Octane fuel...which you probably have to have some kind of consent to store etc...Its an extreme example I know, but you see what I'm getting at right? I hate to use the word compromise, but the M3 makes a pretty good argument all on its own.

Don't get me wrong....I'd love to take a Porsche or 'Rarri out for a blast around the alps anytime, but for one car that does EVERYTHING well (including, say, touring) I'd think I'd take an M3.

what would everyone else have?

flylwsi
11-28-2001, 06:30 PM
porsche 911 turbo
new one.
handles awesome. all the time.
and i think it would be more fun than an m3, for an all the time car... especially in the wet.. i would rather have a porsche in the wet than a bmw...
there are tons of reasons, but this is all you get for now...

and if it was my only car, no mods, i guess i might exchange it for a gt2, and drive it everyday... even in the wet... scary as it may be...

LiuBei
12-04-2001, 08:55 PM
Try the Lexus LS430. Ultimate Luxo, Big, Fast, Handles good, good price for what you get. Next to that Acura NSX, world's all around best sports car.

RazorGTR
12-04-2001, 10:23 PM
You don't have to spend a heap of money to get the ultimate all around car. If you live in New Zealand you can pick up one of 2 for under $30,000 NZD.

The first one is the Nissan R32 GTR. A twin turbo charge 2.6 litre engine with a factory rated 205kw( 280 bhp). They actually nearly throw that at the wheels factory standard!

The second would the Mitzy EVO 3. A light weight 4wd rocket.

The GTR responds so well to mods and in Japan they have tuned them to over 1,400 hp! Yes that number is correct. The ATTESSA system is unique in ever aspect. The car drives around normally in 2wd but when the G-force sensors pick up wheel spin it engages the front wheel via an electronic torque spliter. You can buy after market compenants to delivery even more and fine tune it. It weights in @ 200 kgs heavier than the EVO but in stock trim the R32 will rip down the 1/4mile in mid to upper 12's all day long. With a big bore, pod filters, and boost increase to 1 bar ( 14.6psi) you can get it down to nearly the 11's.

b16rex
08-18-2003, 02:20 PM
If you want something a little cheaper you might consider a new RX-8, rotory power :bananasmi

Paonessa
08-18-2003, 03:29 PM
The GTR responds so well to mods and in Japan they have tuned them to over 1,400 hp! Yes that number is correct. The ATTESSA system is unique in ever aspect. The car drives around normally in 2wd but when the G-force sensors pick up wheel spin it engages the front wheel via an electronic torque spliter. You can buy after market compenants to delivery even more and fine tune it. It weights in @ 200 kgs heavier than the EVO but in stock trim the R32 will rip down the 1/4mile in mid to upper 12's all day long. With a big bore, pod filters, and boost increase to 1 bar ( 14.6psi) you can get it down to nearly the 11's.
I"ll take it.

Tekone
08-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Next to that Acura NSX, world's all around best sports car.

For $80k, I'd expect more. I'll take a Z06 any day. 30 grand less, with much better performance.

With that being said, money no object, I'd say probably a Porsche GT2.

ETW 355
08-19-2003, 12:58 AM
A Bentley Continental GT. :smile: They're coming out soon. Big car, four seater, 550 horsepower. Price is $150,000. I think 0-60 is 4.8 seconds. My dad might think about getting one, but I really want him to get a 360 Spider. There two very different cars. Both of them could be daily drivers.

Moppie
08-19-2003, 01:27 AM
A Bentley Continental GT. :smile:

I was just going to say a Bently Turbo R!!!

The GTR is nice, but its not exactly tuned for ride comfort, and a 911 Turbo will have the same problems the boxster does.
Also thier not exactly easy to get in or out of, and you only have two seats.
M3 comes close, but then you also have limited seating and interior space.

And M5 would IMO be a better option than the M3, but then why have an M5 when the bently will do it all so much better.

Of course if cost is a consideration then what about a HSV Senator, or Lotus Carlton/Omega and of course there are the many Japas, like the SiR Civic Sedans, 20valve 4dr Corollas, GSR Lancers, WRX Wagons, GT and RS legacys etc etc etc.

Jimster
08-19-2003, 03:39 AM
Porsche Cayenne Twin Turbo- Lap it with M3's, Offroad with Discoveries and Grand Cherokees, drive through traffic with Clio's, have similar comforts to an S class :)

Of course and SUV is an SUV- so I'll have the Porsche 911 Turbo- does the same- except serious offroading- but can crank it through a desert with the right mods :biggrin:

five-oh
08-23-2003, 11:10 PM
my vote is for a mustang or a camaro!

im not sure about the camaro, those are sweet to, but a 89-93 GT is a great performance car for a GREAT price! You can get one for under $6K and they run 14-14.5 stock in the 1/4 mile. put a few thousand $s into and you've got yourself an awesome 11/12 second car. The 302/5 liter engine can take a supercharger, NOS, Turbo, anything you can throw at it, or throw in a 351 engine and bamn! that stang'll rape your porsche or BMW. Just ask my dad, he's got a 99 boxster and my 92 mustang GT owns his car all the time! and mine was ALOT less $$!! Nevermind, im rambling on......it seems like im alone on this forum...most people prefer the imports and exotic cars.....just my $.02

Jimster
08-24-2003, 03:20 AM
my vote is for a mustang or a camaro!

im not sure about the camaro, those are sweet to, but a 89-93 GT is a great performance car for a GREAT price! You can get one for under $6K and they run 14-14.5 stock in the 1/4 mile. put a few thousand $s into and you've got yourself an awesome 11/12 second car. The 302/5 liter engine can take a supercharger, NOS, Turbo, anything you can throw at it, or throw in a 351 engine and bamn! that stang'll rape your porsche or BMW. Just ask my dad, he's got a 99 boxster and my 92 mustang GT owns his car all the time! and mine was ALOT less $$!! Nevermind, im rambling on......it seems like im alone on this forum...most people prefer the imports and exotic cars.....just my $.02

Take a Souped up Mustang to a road course- and then you'll see why it was so cheap :lol2:

five-oh
08-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Take a Souped up Mustang to a road course- and then you'll see why it was so cheap

each car has its own qualities right? so a mustang might not do so well on a road course but take it to a dragstrip or race it from a stoplight and that "souped up" mustang honestly would destroy ALOT of cars that cost 10, 20, 30 times as much as it! so what if its cheap? that doesnt mean its crap! i was just suggesting that porsches and lambos arent the only cars out there that can go fast! you dont need to spend over a few thousand $s to have a fast car that is still nice!

i wasnt trying to start an argument ok?! you don't need to call my car cheap or anything...i dont think i insulted anyone's car did i? maybe i did??? if i did it wasnt meant! i was just giving my opinion that i think a mustang is your best bang for the $ when compared to a porsche or other expensive car.

what would everyone else have?

i mean the guy asked for everyone's opinion and that was just my 2 cents. no need to insult ok?

ETW 355
08-25-2003, 02:07 AM
I changed my mind. I like Aston Martins now. There my new favorite cars. A DB7 Vantage would be my first choice. It have a 12 cylinder engine, 420 horsepower, 4 seats, awesome interior, its fast, good looking, luxurious, and everything else I like. I went to an Aston Martin dealer ship today with my dad but they were closed so we could only look through the window. They were the nicest looking cars Ive ever seen, they look so much better in person. I beleive this car does pretty much everything and is a great everyday exotic.

NISSANSPDR
08-25-2003, 02:50 PM
If you want something a little cheaper you might consider a new RX-8, rotory power :bananasmi

Nah...w/them supposedly dyno'ing at 175-180rwhp...when they claimed 250HP crank...and now they have to excuse themselves and say it has now 238HP crank and give ppl money back, credit, free stuff...NO WAY...

Goes to show...rotary blows! Pistons rock!

intox
08-26-2003, 09:23 AM
probably gonna get flamed for this one LOL.
Okay IMO, if you need a car thats gonna be all around and gets decent mileage, decent power, decent handling, decent comfort and room...

I'm going with an AMG S500... Its powerful, roomy, doesn't get Ridiculously bad mileage, decent handling. I mean its not too tame, but not too wild. I mean lets say you decide to go pick up your kid from school but he wants to bring a friend home... NSX, Porsche OUT... If you are taking a trip with some friends to a local show or movie, Anything with Two doors is gonna be terribly uncomfortable for regular adults. Were talking comfort, luxury, power, and sports. I would Take the AMG S500 hands down.

crayzayjay
08-27-2003, 06:04 AM
BMW M3 or Audi S4

Jimster
08-31-2003, 04:52 AM
BMW M3 or Audi S4

You KNOW That you wanted to say RS4 instead of S4 :icon16:

crayzayjay
08-31-2003, 07:08 PM
Nah, the RS4's too soft... knew you'd like it :lol2:

Add your comment to this topic!