Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

licensing and unlicensed skyline

91VR-4boy
07-31-2003, 12:14 AM
I've read all the posts (all of which basically say the same crap anyway) about importing. This question hasn't been answered yet (even in the sticky announcements by the mods).

I'm in the military, so i can get my skyline shipped from japan free of charge... I know i can import it as an unlicensed vehicle (not legalised, only for show/track), but i have to drive it off on a trailor.

My question is can i ship it home (to mississippi), leave it there for a year or so (getting stationed overseas again), then when i return from my overseas assignment, get it legalised. And if so, would i have to ship it all the way back to motorex. I'm just not sure if i could get it licensed after i import it as unlicensed.

Also, where do i take it to get it tested for emissions/safety? Will any certified testing place have the ability to make it legal by passing it or what? (i mean, i'm sure they aren't going to crash my skyline and then tell me, yea, it woulda passed too).

I hope this topic aint as redundant as those others, i don't think so, but i'm not a mod........thanks in advance.

RazorGTR
07-31-2003, 03:05 AM
This is a really good question.

What ever you do make sure you have all your documents with the car! All Dereg papers, shipping docs, ownership docs, etc.

I would contact the DMV on this, or Department of Transportation actually. Get it in writing what ever the call is.

also if you could please let us know the outcome of what they say. It would be greatly appreciated.

sami
07-31-2003, 07:10 AM
What I've read about this topic is that once you bring it into the country as a show or race vehicle (not as easy that you would think), you cannot legalize it for road use anymore.

As for the legalization process, you would have to take it to Motorex.

Gtr2.7L
07-31-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 91VR-4boy
I've read all the posts (all of which basically say the same crap anyway) about importing. This question hasn't been answered yet (even in the sticky announcements by the mods).

I'm in the military, so i can get my skyline shipped from japan free of charge... I know i can import it as an unlicensed vehicle (not legalised, only for show/track), but i have to drive it off on a trailor.

My question is can i ship it home (to mississippi), leave it there for a year or so (getting stationed overseas again), then when i return from my overseas assignment, get it legalised. And if so, would i have to ship it all the way back to motorex. I'm just not sure if i could get it licensed after i import it as unlicensed.

Also, where do i take it to get it tested for emissions/safety? Will any certified testing place have the ability to make it legal by passing it or what? (i mean, i'm sure they aren't going to crash my skyline and then tell me, yea, it woulda passed too).

I hope this topic aint as redundant as those others, i don't think so, but i'm not a mod........thanks in advance.

Your best bet is to have the gov't ship it straight to San Pedro and Motorex. The military will NOT ship it to Mississippi on their bill......they will ship it only to the CLOSEST port of Entry.....that would be San Pedro. I went through this myself.

The military also WILL NOT ship the car unless you have a CONTRACT with an RI. It's in the legalease.....read it.

It is going to take AT LEAST 6-9 months to legalize the car AFTER it arrives in the U.S. You might as well ship it directly, so the car is ready when you get back. I'm sure Hiro and crew will be happy to ship it to your home of record (and then you can charge the military up to $75 bucks a month to store it)......

Once you import the car under SHOW/RACE auspices...it cannot be then converted for road use.

luvmyGTR-33Vspec
08-11-2003, 09:38 AM
i heard of a man in NY that was trying to get a 1yr bond to take his skyline out of port in FL. He wanted to use it as a show car but that is new info to me that once under show car you cant legalize it. Whose rich enough to start a motorex like company and charge 500 dollars???

racingbreed20
08-12-2003, 01:36 AM
Give it time guys. Motorex will not have exclusive rights to legalizing Skylines for much longer.....and then other companies will jump in prices go down etc.

Gtr2.7L
08-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by racingbreed20
Give it time guys. Motorex will not have exclusive rights to legalizing Skylines for much longer.....and then other companies will jump in prices go down etc.

Unfortunately, you don't realise how LITTLE profit Motorex actually makes on each car, the volume of cars the emissions lab can handle, or the actual demand of the car itself.

Importing GTR's is a SIDE business for Motorex....it isn't their main source of revenue.......

CivicLeader
08-13-2003, 05:22 PM
What's up guys....
I don't know much about importing SL's but I've been talking with omegasky and found out that he used to work for a company in Cali. importing Skylines...Not sure if it was Motorex or not but he might be able to shed some light on this topic...shoot him a PM!
CL

RazorGTR
08-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Omega worked for Omega Skylines, which was and so far is one of the dodgiest companies I have ever read about! :rolleyes:

omegasky
08-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by RazorGTR
which was and so far is one of the dodgiest companies I have ever read about! :rolleyes:

well you're entitled to your opinion aren't you, i told everyone to ask me about omega(i think:smile:) but so far no one has aked me about it, i quit from omega so you know the rest, you can PM me if you wanna know what omega is really about but i don't know what car's they might hae in stock LOL, not affitialiated with them anymore, sorry:smile: .

r32gtrnus
08-29-2003, 02:43 PM
well you're entitled to your opinion aren't you, i told everyone to ask me about omega(i think:smile:) but so far no one has aked me about it, i quit from omega so you know the rest, you can PM me if you wanna know what omega is really about but i don't know what car's they might hae in stock LOL, not affitialiated with them anymore, sorry:smile: .

please tell me about what omega is about, i really want to know the difference between omega and mtoorex and rb motoring, so please tell me!!!

DC5R76
08-29-2003, 03:31 PM
I dont like omega, the website looks fake. the guy didn't even put time into it.

SkylineUSA
08-29-2003, 03:57 PM
r32gtrnus,

Do not listen to that guy(omega), he is an idiot. Plain and simple. To tell you the truth I doubt he even worked for them. Everyone in this forum will back me up on what I am saying.(The part that he is an idiot :screwy: )

Point blank, OmegaSkylines will rip you off. If you want a legal GTR you have to go through MotoRex. If you want more info, read the post in this forum, please.

Its a real pain to say the same thing over and over again. Read the posts that are here.

scourge2u
09-21-2003, 03:26 AM
Unfortunately, you don't realise how LITTLE profit Motorex actually makes on each car, the volume of cars the emissions lab can handle, or the actual demand of the car itself.

If that were actually true, then why did Morris do so much to get MotoRex approved and now is working on getting RB Motoring approved for the Skyline and Lancer EVOs? From what I understand about MotoRex and Hiro, they are not very efficient or businesslike - something that even customers have reported. A more acute businessman can make a go of this...that or Morris is completely stupid. I vote for he former.

Gtr2.7L
09-22-2003, 02:06 PM
If that were actually true, then why did Morris do so much to get MotoRex approved and now is working on getting RB Motoring approved for the Skyline and Lancer EVOs? From what I understand about MotoRex and Hiro, they are not very efficient or businesslike - something that even customers have reported. A more acute businessman can make a go of this...that or Morris is completely stupid. I vote for he former.

That goes to prove my point. Motorex doesn't make ridiculous profit like so many on this site seem to believe.

I know Sean and I know Hiro....and I've spent time with both discussing this particular issue.

The point is, don't think if the RBmotoring deal go through that you'll see GTR's coming in for 5k a pop.

scourge2u
09-23-2003, 12:38 AM
I'm taking a big risk here, but I will say that no one here is so stupid as to think they will ever be that cheap. Morris implied to me though that R32s could be had in the $25,000USD range out the door. Thats quite reasonable - especially considering what you get and what else is out there in the $25,000USD range (new and used) that would compete with a GTR.

I have no idea how a R33 or R34 would be priced though. Cheaper than MotoRex seems to only answer though.

Last Time
10-16-2003, 01:55 PM
If you don't already know there are quite a few Skylines in Oregon which are not all through Motorex. I don't claim to know all the details on this subject but as far as I know after reading numerous posts on the web and bolstered by the fact that guy I know has an R33 that he brought in and registered in Oregon without any Motorex "assistance" tells me you can piggyback on Motorex's federal groundwork and I guess Oregon already considers them a known certifiable vehicle.

Maybe this won't last forever, who knows perhaps it's a loophole, the kind of loophole that lawyers, corporations and the wealthy use all the time. I know this, he lives in the San Francisco area, but the car is registered in Oregon. I've been in the car, seen it when he brought it to the shop (with no plates, via flatbed from the port) and a couple month's later he's driving it on the street. It did have a missing mismatched wheel (which mysteriously showed up in a later shipment) and a few minor issues (which may have been resolved in later shipments?) so I'm thinking he imported it as a parts car and somehow registered it in Oregon.

I am sure I will not be able to get all the details of what loopholes were used and I'm sure some "experts" are going to say all kinds of stuff about MotoRex is the only one, you can't do that, you're lying, blah blah blah, say what you will. I do know that I see him drive it, I have been in it and it's here. He imports clips so I think he knows of some loopholes or what things need to be amiss to allow it to pass as a "Parts car". Oh yeah and the Grey Silvia he had (but sold to someone) was nice, I'm no Nissan expert but it's one of those newer ones. Anyway I know he imported that as a parts car because it had some minor front end damage, wrinkled fender, cracked bumper cover, etc. Nothing that couldn't be fixed easily. Maybe I'll pay him to help me do the same..... :smokin:

GTR_in_SF
10-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Just because someone is driving a car on the street does not make the car STREET LEGAL. :nono:

Does the car have a legal VIN number? Is it registered as a skyline or is is registered as something else?

As far as I know, you can not import a car as a parts car and then register it as a street legal vehicle. If the car is not legally registered and he gets caught, the car will be most likely be confiscated and probably crushed.

Last Time
10-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Just because someone is driving a car on the street does not make the car STREET LEGAL. :nono:

Does the car have a legal VIN number? Is it registered as a skyline or is is registered as something else?

As far as I know, you can not import a car as a parts car and then register it as a street legal vehicle. If the car is not legally registered and he gets caught, the car will be most likely be confiscated and probably crushed.

That's true but then again many people (including yourself) on this board (or any other) partake in illegal activities, including illegal mods, so "don't throw rocks in glass houses". Like I said I DON'T KNOW ALL THE DETAILS, I am not promoting this as something anyone here should do, if you don't have the know-how, connections, knowledge or MONEY.

As far as I know there was no modification or VIN number laundering. Like I said, perhaps there are some legal loopholes he is using and is likely straddling a fine line but if losing the car is the only pitfall, it won't be any big deal, it's not like he'll be broke or anything, it's only a few grand. Once again, I was just telling what I know, no more, no less, no recommendations, no judgements. :smokin:

If I can get more information on how he legally did it I will pass it on, until then I only know what I've already posted.

MioCLK
10-17-2003, 06:57 PM

I think you can find your answers here.
http://www.nhtsa.com/cars/rules/import/index.html

97wvmax
10-22-2003, 08:08 AM
how much does it cost to even legalize one anyway? ive been wondering this for a while and no one has a clue that ive talked to. what all has to be done to it for it to be legal? jus paperwork or is there some kind of work that has to be done on the car too?

GTR_in_SF
10-22-2003, 09:44 AM
how much does it cost to even legalize one anyway? ive been wondering this for a while and no one has a clue that ive talked to. what all has to be done to it for it to be legal? jus paperwork or is there some kind of work that has to be done on the car too?

If I remember correctly, between $16,000 and $25,000 depending on the model and year.

Contact Motorex, they are the only ones who legalize skylines (unless someone can show proof of another RI being able to do it).

No, it is no just paperwork, most of the modifications are documented, but there are a lot of little things that have remained confidential.

97wvmax
10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
holy shit......

90LShatch
12-18-2003, 12:31 AM
so a r32 will cost you around $25,000 and another $25,000 to get it legal to drive?? just wanna make sure im gettin it right thanks.... also i live in oregon so would i talk to my dmv to legalize it cause i know a lady thats works there, or i have to go through motorex to get one leagl in oregon thanks for the comments

sami
12-18-2003, 08:01 AM
so a r32 will cost you around $25,000 and another $25,000 to get it legal to drive?? just wanna make sure im gettin it right thanks.... also i live in oregon so would i talk to my dmv to legalize it cause i know a lady thats works there, or i have to go through motorex to get one leagl in oregon thanks for the comments
No, no, no. You can get a R32 GT-R in great shape for $15k in Japan, take it to Motorex to legalize for $16k and $3-5k for misc expenses like bonds and shipping.

stealthj
12-24-2003, 05:39 PM
i say just try to get it as a show/display car,that way u dont have to pay all those motorex fees,

u can still use it on the road....just less than 2500 miles....

its not that hard to rollback an odometer

sami
12-24-2003, 07:45 PM
i say just try to get it as a show/display car,that way u dont have to pay all those motorex fees
That's if you're buying something rare, like the 400R. Expensive...

stealthj
12-24-2003, 07:48 PM
That's if you're buying something rare, like the 400R. Expensive...
yeah true....i wish i had money to buy that!!! dont u?

NightXCZ77
12-24-2003, 10:22 PM
These cars are certifiable vehicles and the DOT, EPA etc... knows that...majority of them won't let you piggyback or anything else because of the Gentlemens' agreement between the government and MotoRex to allow a Monopoly. They don't want to hurt a company making 50k off of a R34 and 65k off of a R33 Skyline now do they? Think of all that tax money!!!

tyndago
12-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Hey Cameron doesnt post where you know nothing.

DC5R76
12-31-2003, 01:10 PM
its not that hard to rollback an odometer

of course is not hard, but is hard if is digital

claymoe
02-21-2004, 03:04 AM
So uh, I've been reading on this forum for a couple o' months now, and I have some ideas.

Can you not buy a motor, chassis, and parts to make it legal, have a garage assemble it, and then have it tested?

or

Why doesn't someone in another country just make the adjustments to the cars to make them legal in the US and then import them?

or

Will someone in another country change the VIN and such to be some other car for me :P

Can you get rebuild kits for the RB series engines?
I didn't see those things discussed anywhere else; sorry if 'twere so.

SkylineUSA
02-21-2004, 04:29 AM
So uh, I've been reading on this forum for a couple o' months now, and I have some ideas.

Can you not buy a motor, chassis, and parts to make it legal, have a garage assemble it, and then have it tested?

or

Why doesn't someone in another country just make the adjustments to the cars to make them legal in the US and then import them?

or

Will someone in another country change the VIN and such to be some other car for me :P

Can you get rebuild kits for the RB series engines?
I didn't see those things discussed anywhere else; sorry if 'twere so.

1. No
2. No one knows the whole process, therefore No.
3. You can, but its still not legal
4. Yes, of course you can. www.takakaira.co.jp

tyndago
02-21-2004, 12:18 PM
http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=hrlIri4h&p_lva=&p_faqid=218&p_created=1043364937&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NTE2J nBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

"It is illegal to bring a car into the U.S. and sell it without first entering it through Customs. If you purchase a car that was brought into the U.S. and sold without being properly entered through Customs, that car is subject to seizure. NEVER purchase a used car in the U.S. if the owner cannot show that it is currently registered in the U.S. and demonstrate that it conforms to DOT and EPA standards. If purchasing a car from a dealer, they should handle registration for you, if they don't, the purchase should be contingent on your successful registration of the vehicle. (We get many calls from people who unwittingly purchased a vehicle that had been brought into the U.S. and then illegally sold. Buyer beware.) "

tyndago
02-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Even though it is illegal, couldn't you import a Skyline (or any car rather) to some port, haul it to a garage or somethin, change the VIN to be a Sylvia, and say it's a Sylvia you converted to a Skyline?

Even though its illegal. Can't I just go out and run over a few people ? I am just going to run over homeless people . People no one cares about ? Whats the harm in it ?

Thats as outrageous as changing VIN's . Its illegal.

RazorGTR
02-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Claymoe you last post was deleted due to not only claiming/bragging to have done something very illegal with another car, now you are asking as simular thing for Skylines.

Go to freshalloy and post shit like that.

claymoe
02-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Sorry 'bout that. I guess I wasn't thinking. I didn't have a solution for everyone, only myself. My apologies; no use arguing, cuz it's like competing in the special olympics ;)

SAPrez
06-10-2004, 05:41 PM
I tried to PM that Omegasky guy and his box is full so either everyone and their brother is asking him about Omega or he isn't a very dilligent poster....In any case, I'd like to know about Omega.
As far as their website goes, I noticed it didn't look very good but mine isn't a whole lot better (I'm still learning HTML and web programming)---not yet, anyways.

mB

SAPrez
06-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Another thing---those of you interested in the regulations/mods/and fine print involved with legalizing a Skyline check out the thread entitled "RI's Recently Mentioned", where I divulge what may be an important shread of evidence in the "legalization" controversy that I came across today.
I say this often---Thank god for the "Freedom of Information Act"---now, if only information was really free, what a truly capitolist society we would live in!

mB

firefighter0143
06-11-2004, 03:09 AM
lol......damn it i guess ill be busy at the fire station seeing that tyndago is running homeless people over with his skyline..........j/k
i called up feul imports, and they said they had a garage up in new york or a warehouse where they do all the legalizations..can anyone follow up on this?

SAPrez
06-11-2004, 04:55 PM
I'll check them on the RI list and then, if they are there, I will call---I have a very interested party in an R34 which really sucks cuz nobody that I know of is complying them right now (for reasons unknown). I'd hate to tell this guy, "well, sorry, Motorex isn't doing it so no one can do it". My only hopes right now are Fuel Imports (if they are on the list) and JK, which I already know is....
By the way, to the question you asked on a different thread, FireFighter, Not on US SOIL (I'm sure you know the answer to this one, just to check if I'm a dipS*&^), they are located in an International Trade Zone (which is within US Border, technically).
I push that aspect of those cars because it seems it daunts some of my clientel that I can't take them to visit the vehicle before they buy it(the ones that are located overseas, unless they are willing to shell out for the cross-pacific tickets :) ) . Although all of us consider that the norm, Joe Blow the Middle-Aged Guy is used to getting to test drive his corvette before he buys it, you see....

mB

SAPrez
06-11-2004, 10:05 PM
I really wish I knew what the deal was with R34's.......

Skyline_R32_Canada
06-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Prez it's me Stefan, the guy who sent you an e-mail a few days ago asking about importing R32's into Canada remember? So whats the overall situation on it?

SAPrez
06-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Check your PM, and your email. Everything is tip-top perfect. SKYLINE AMERICA, and our complete network worldwide, is enthusiastic about opening up a new market in Canada. UK, Australia, and everywhere else 89-below exempt from complaince is next in line.

mB

SAPrez
06-12-2004, 10:22 PM
I spoke to a compliance tech that informed me that, after having done the first tests on the first car, which can cost in the upwards of $80k, that each complaince after that costs about $2k, tops. And that's if the people stand around like idiots with their hands in their pockets most of the time at $45 an hour.
Believe me or not---it doesn't matter. Everyone believes what they want to, anyways. Like I said before, the info is in the post titled "RI's Recently Discussed". If you don't WANT to know, DON't read it. I'll probably erase it tomorrow, anyways. Unless I do it right now.....

firefighter0143
06-23-2004, 03:41 AM
lol saprez thanks for the follow up....did you find out that they can legalize?

SAPrez
06-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I did not find Fuel Imports on the list of RI's, so I'd say, NO.
On another forum someone called them to ask how they do it and they said their service technician was an RI, but when asked who this person was or his affiliation to an RI, they balked, so I'd say steer CLEAR, steer VERY CLEAR.

mB

firefighter0143
06-29-2004, 02:24 AM
I See You Work For Skyline America.....do You Legalize Skylines Or Do You Go Through Mx?
Ps. Nice Prices On The Gtr's

SAPrez
07-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks!
Currently I am the owner/operator of Skyline America....
Right now, no one is legalizing Skylines(in the US), and so we are working in other markets right now until this situation is remedied. We hope within the next 4-6 months that things will be drastically different than the current state of affairs.
So, to answer your question a different way, so as to be more clear---we are not an RI, we are a sales company who brokers our sales in conjunction with legalization through an RI, to better streamline the process for consumers and ensure that they recieve the best possible pricing, service, and, ultimately, do not lose their vehicles to US Customs, or worse....

Michael Bernard

Skyline69
11-04-2004, 01:51 AM
Well, I'm kinda understanding what you guys are saying. I'm reading that you are saying that if you import a car that isn't compliant then you can't sell it. So what, what If I want to import my car for myself? Is Motorex really the only way. I don't care about selling it. I just want it for myself............by the way I'm not some retard who wants a Skyline..........I OWN one here in Japan. But everything I keep reading is just Motorex Motorex Motorex.........and they suck. It's funny cause my wife is Japanese and when I mention paying $16,000 to import my Skyline she flips out......why??? :sly: because she has grown up seeing them....to the Japanese, Skylines are just a normal car they see all the time and nothing special. Most of them DON'T CARE. Well I really love my car and I'm sick of all these people claiming that they can import them. So if someone comes up with a "NEW" legal way to get them back for a lot less then $16,000 (heck, even 7,000 wouldn't be that bad)......let me know. I follow all this importing very closely....but sometimes it's a little hard to separate fact from fiction, because people lie and talk out of their asses on the internet. And when it comes to my car I don't want to take ANY chances. :grinyes:

tyndago
11-06-2004, 08:48 PM
isn't compliant then you can't sell it. So what, what If I want to import my car for myself? Is Motorex really the only way. I don't care about selling it. I just want it for myself.........

What stops you from selling it yourself after you import it ?

Nothing. Rules are rules. We can follow them or not follow them.

Skyline69
11-07-2004, 11:00 PM
But my question is, if I import it through the military....for my personal use, do I HAVE to go through Motorex..........is there no other legal way to import it???? :screwy:

thegladhatter
11-07-2004, 11:07 PM
That would be correct. Shipping via TMO will NOT make it legal. You will still need Motorex.

Skyline69
11-07-2004, 11:19 PM
AHHHHHHHHH.........freakin Motorex......Someone else has to give them some LEGAL competition. :iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!