Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Daytime(?) Running Lights

Bud McGregor
07-30-2003, 07:23 PM
I just got a '97 Lumina and the DRL seems to be broken. The lights, head and running, front and rear are on all the time the car is running, day or night. This is NOT the way the owners manual says they should work and I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Flatrater
07-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Drive up to NE PA and I will fix it for you!!! This is something you should take to the dealer!! My guess would be you have a bad DRL resistor. These resistors are mounted to a heat sinik because they make tons of heat and the heat will burn them up. The DRL resistor if this car has one would be mounted on the drivers side buried somewhere around the column!

Dr Sparks
08-02-2003, 07:10 AM
Hello Bud. The condition you describe indicates your DRL system is in Night Mode. This usually results from an Ambient Light Sensor Module that is fully or partially obstructed by stuff like lint, dust or whatever else is floating around inside your car with the ability to block light. The location of the module is what you're not going to like. It's fairly buried at the top of the instrument panel, right hand side, to the right of the passenger side defogger air duct. It's well behind the right side air bag (SIR) panel, which means it's a mine field for those not familiar with the proper procedure for dealng with that system. Flatrater was right: You can either take it to the dealer, or take it to a qualified independant repair shop in your area. Whereever you take it, have them diagnose it rather than telling them what the problem is based on what you read here. Good luck.

Dr. Sparky

Add your comment to this topic!