Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 maxima drifting to the right. Any one else?

maximabear
11-21-2001, 10:23 AM
Just bought a Nissan Maxima SE. Love the ride so far, but the car seems to be drifting to the right. Took it to the dealership and they realigned the wheels. They say the drift is due to "road crown", or in other words the curvature of the road that allows water to run off. The car does seem stable on completely flat roads. Is anyone else experiencing this type of drift in either a '01 or '02 Maxima.
Thanks

Maximadave
11-21-2001, 10:27 AM
No drifting here...are you driving on a smooth freeway when this happens?

maximabear
11-21-2001, 10:37 AM
Bay Area freeways are unfortunately not very good. Bumpy and poor pavement, which makes it hard to find a completely level portion. I take it that "road crown" is not a problem for you?

Maximadave
11-21-2001, 10:44 AM
One of the major freeways here in so cal (I-15) San Diego through Temecula/Murrieta where I live, the county "shaved" the cement type freeway to give it a smooth ride. What a difference it made! If the freeways you are driving on have "crowns" in them it is probably not the car. I wouldn't worry about it too much but to be on the safe side is to keep on eye on your inner-tire wear and check your steering on a smooth freeway if you happen to drive on one...

Maximadave

irvine78
11-21-2001, 02:29 PM
i'm pretty sure he was just talking about torque steer...

maximabear
11-21-2001, 05:40 PM
No it's not torque steer. This is when I am coasting. Maybe the tires on a '02 Maxima SE are extra sensitive to road patterns etc. If so the next set of tires definitely won't be OEM replacements.

Maximadave
11-21-2001, 06:09 PM
Have the dealership replace your tires;)

maximabear
11-27-2001, 11:06 AM
Took the car back to the dealership and they agreed that it is probably the alignment, so they will realign the wheels. Apparently the factory doesn't align the wheels, but sets them at a standard setting and then ships the car. Hopefully the drifting will be fixed once I pick up the car this afternoon.

Maximadave
11-27-2001, 11:26 AM
Let us know what happens....

maximabear
11-30-2001, 11:21 AM
Latest development: The alignment is and was ok. The problem is a bad tire, so a new one is on its way but not yet installed. The radials in the tire were not placed correctly when the tire was manufacturer causing the car to drift right. The dealership switched the bad tire from right to left and now the car drifts to the left. New tire should be here early next week. What an ordeal on a new car.

02maxima
12-03-2001, 08:38 PM
i have a 2002 gle maxima i does the same thing so should i take it to the dealer where i got it or can i any dealer ?:smoka:

2001 AE
12-05-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by maximabear
Latest development: The alignment is and was ok. The problem is a bad tire, so a new one is on its way but not yet installed. The radials in the tire were not placed correctly when the tire was manufacturer causing the car to drift right. The dealership switched the bad tire from right to left and now the car drifts to the left. New tire should be here early next week. What an ordeal on a new car.

The same thing happened to me back in the early 90's with my geo prizm gsi.

maximabear
12-05-2001, 11:25 PM
If I were you, I would take it back to the dealership that sold you the car. If it indeed is the tire and not the alignment, then the warranty is with the tire manufacturer and NOT with Nissan. According to the service manager I talked to, bad tires are not that uncommon. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!