Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Accord making humming noise

devinschultz
07-11-2003, 07:18 PM
My recently purchased 98 accord ex model makes a humming noise when the key is off and the car has been turned off for a while. It will come on for about 10-20 seconds, then go off for a while. It seems to do this for a little while, then stop. Anyone got any idea what the heck this thing is doing? Is this the fuel pump maintaining pressure on the fuel line? If so, why would it be leaking down?

:comprage1

BullShifter
07-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Fan:confused:

hard to say what a noise is without hearing it.

leslieo
07-12-2003, 05:33 AM
I just purchased a 97 accord... and have only had it a few days. I noticed one time after I got out of the car that even though the engine was just turned off and the keys were in my hand, that it still sounded like it was running!!!! It was sort of a humming noise coming from the around the front. I got back in and drove it around, then parked again, and havent heard it again since. When I take it to the shop here soon, I will ask them what they think... and get back to ya if they tell me anything useful.

Good luck!

Leslie O.

slowdive
07-12-2003, 05:54 AM
it is the cooling fan thats still running, atleast thats what my 94 Accord does sometimes after i turn it off. next time it makes the noise pop open the hood and look at the 2 fans.:iceslolan

accordztech
07-13-2003, 01:36 AM
yea pop open the hood and look at the fans..dont stick ur hand down there. if u still hear something listen and narrow it down.

devinschultz
07-13-2003, 05:31 AM
This noise is not the cooling fan... it is further back in the vehicle and not as loud as the fans. This is just a low humm or a buzz that sounds like a small pump or electrical motor. I think it must be the fuel pump or something in the security system... but not sure.

AKKORDINGLY SICK
07-13-2003, 08:24 PM
YEAH ITS UR FUEL PUMP, I HAVE A 98 ACCORD TOO BUT MY NOISE STARTED WHEN I PUT ON MY CAI AN EVER SINCE THEN IT HUMMS BUT ONLY WHEN IN IDLE THO FOR ME

Add your comment to this topic!