Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dipping

Chaoz
07-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Today my friend taught me to dip small parts into the paint instead of using brush. I wonder if it will look better and more evenly spread out. Not yet tried this method. Hope to hear your opinions. :comprage1

freakray
07-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Questions:

How do you make certain the paint is applied evenly?
How do you stop the paint from welling up against angled areas and in hollows?

Mainomega
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
The first problem with this would probably be the amount of paint that the part holds. I would think the paint layer would be thick unless you thin the paint a lot and repeat the dipping process over and over again.

I guess it would be ok for small parts with relatively the same overall shape, because some part of the surface might "hold" more paint than others.

dag65
07-11-2003, 01:01 PM
I don't use any brushes I mount the small parts on bamboo skewers and spray them . I use a balled up piece of that poster hanging stuff that looks like clay to attach it to the skwere.
Awesome results, even and thin coverage and no brush marks or brushes to wash

935k3
07-11-2003, 03:00 PM
The best way to paint small parts is to airbrush them. Dipping is asking for trouble. I have also painted small parts like race car tow hooks with spray cans.

2000-redrider
07-11-2003, 04:47 PM
I've never tried to apply paint via the dipping method, but I have applied a clear coat. I just finished putting a clear coat of Future on my Cobra using this method. This was the first time I did a car body (normally I only do this to windshields and airplane canopies) and the results were very good.

Jonno
07-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 2000-redrider
I've never tried to apply paint via the dipping method, but I have applied a clear coat. I just finished putting a clear coat of Future on my Cobra using this method. This was the first time I did a car body (normally I only do this to windshields and airplane canopies) and the results were very good.

I think thats becasue future is "self-leveling", it will even itself out. Paint will not do this so well, so there would be build up of paint in some areas but not in others.

MR-2RaCeR
07-11-2003, 11:16 PM
I think airbrushing or painting it is the best way to get paint on to small parts, even though i havent really tried airbrushing it becuz i dont have an airbrush yet...

Chaoz
07-12-2003, 12:14 AM
oh... luckily I haven tried this method... if not I will be busy stripping the paint already... thanks guys

Add your comment to this topic!