Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question...

dmh1077
07-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi all....

I found this site doing a google search, great place!!

My question is about my 1996 Dodge Neon. It has 114,000 miles on it and the "Service Engine Soon" light came on.

Any ideas what causes it to come on and if it's urgent to get it to a repair shop??

My knowledge of car mechanics is very limited, so any advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :smile:

Scatch!
07-10-2003, 07:35 PM
It could be very urgent (permanent damage), or just mildly urgent (causing the car to run poorly, get bad, mileage, or go on to something more serious). Take it in and have it checked.

When was the last time it was tuned up, had filters changed, and so forth?

BasicNeon
07-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Go to http://www.neons.org. Much more info there. If you want to see what your particular Check Engine Light means go to the following link and follow the directions.

http://neons.org/nukebrowser.php?filnavn=http://www.neons.org/neontsb/diagnost.htm

dmh1077
07-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Thank you for the advice and info! :smile:

KatWoman
07-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Print out that codes list and keep it in the glove box :) It will be your friend. Also if go pick up a Haynes or Factory Service manual for the NEon and that will be your best friend :) I have the Haynes ($20 at the autoparts store) and it is used often. It helped us thru my motor teardown party.

joedirt76
07-15-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by KatWoman
Print out that codes list and keep it in the glove box :) It will be your friend. Also if go pick up a Haynes or Factory Service manual for the NEon and that will be your best friend :) I have the Haynes ($20 at the autoparts store) and it is used often. It helped us thru my motor teardown party.

Right on Kat, I agree, that haynes manual has save me some serious cash, I knew nothing about cars, and my buddy and I were able to change my headgasket and timing belt with the help of the manual. Definately a worthwhile investment for any car owner.

PopKorn
07-15-2003, 08:28 PM
My buddies 96' all of the sudden started running like crap, the check engine light came on... THought we were gonna be stranded. Gave it new plugs/wires/cap/rotor/plugs/fuel and air filters and it runs better than ever.

Scatch!
07-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Not to be argumentative but, the Neon doesn't have a cap and rotor. Did you replace the ignition coil perhaps?

PopKorn
07-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Dang, you're right. No cap/rotor. Hard to get used to. But I don't think he replaced it.
I inherited a 97 Neon about a month ago (it came with a wife). Already replaced the headgasket @60K. Luckily she bought the car with an extended warranty.

Scatch!
07-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Yeah, unfortunately the HGs were a known issue on pre-'99 Neons. I can never remember if they switch to the MLS (multi-layered steel) HG during the '99 build or the '98, but I'm pretty sure it was the '99 build...

Since the BHG is a known issue on early Neons, you probably could have gotten it replaced without an extended warranty, provided you talk to the right people. ;)

At any rate, I hope your inherited Neon will be as good a car as my Neons have been. Welcome to the family. :dogpile:

Add your comment to this topic!