Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GTWS #18 engine upgrade

Foghorn37
06-14-2021, 01:12 AM
- Gen II Coyote from a wrecked ‘15 Mustang GT (435 hp @ flywheel)
- various MMR parts to address known weaknesses IOT “harden” the engine
- 2018 Gen III intake manifold
- converted engine fuel system to return-style
- Ford motorsports control pack w/ drive-by-wire throttle

- Volvo S60 electric power steering pump (no OEM engine-driven PS option)
- In-cell 340 lph fuel pump with -8 feed & -6 return lines
- G-Force T-5 trans (9310 gears & aux. shaft bearing support)
- my TKO is worn out & I bad this lying around...the NMRA pure coyote guys are running them with no failures, so confidence is high that I’ll be OK.

Planning to copy the GTWC 4.6 Hedman headers using a coyote flange and 1 7/8 primaries with a 3” collector.

As of this post, engine, trans, and PS pump are fitted. Still need to do all the plumbing and wiring as well as source a header fabricator. More to follow...

Steve Hummel
06-23-2021, 07:22 PM
Sounds like a great swap. We upgraded our 351W engine to a bored/stroked 351W, getting 454cid. We achieved 660+ flywheel HP with Shell 91 pump fuel with a not crazy hydraulic roller camshaft. We built larger headers as well to accommodate the increase in cid (29" primary, 2" o.d., with merge collectors & 3.5" secondary). We used PIPEMAX to design the headers.

We ran the engine in this past weekend's VARAC vintage race in the G90+ class at Mosport in Ontario, Canada, achieving 4th place. No way were going to catch the real fast older TransAm cars but the engine was very strong, torquey & easy to drive.Great race, 53 car field!

Foghorn37
02-24-2023, 11:42 AM
- Gen II Coyote from a wrecked ‘15 Mustang GT (435 hp @ flywheel)
- various MMR parts to address known weaknesses IOT “harden” the engine
- 2018 Gen III intake manifold
- converted engine fuel system to return-style
- Ford motorsports control pack w/ drive-by-wire throttle

- Volvo S60 electric power steering pump (no OEM engine-driven PS option)
- In-cell 340 lph fuel pump with -8 feed & -6 return lines
- G-Force T-5 trans (9310 gears & aux. shaft bearing support)
- my TKO is worn out & I bad this lying around...the NMRA pure coyote guys are running them with no failures, so confidence is high that I’ll be OK.

Planning to copy the GTWC 4.6 Hedman headers using a coyote flange and 1 7/8 primaries with a 3” collector.

As of this post, engine, trans, and PS pump are fitted. Still need to do all the plumbing and wiring as well as source a header fabricator. More to follow...

February 2023 update: headers are complete. If you’re in the ATL, call Matt Smith of Exotic Exhaust in Hiram, GA. He does good work. Highly recommended.

Other than that, not much progress…I’ll get my priorities straight one of these days…

Add your comment to this topic!