Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Van stopped running, then ran very roughly

Eddy1
06-01-2021, 05:52 AM
I was pulling into a parking lot and my van quit running, I coasted into the parking lot and got it started and running just enough to pull to the side, it ran like it was running on one cylinder very rough no power at all. Then I could not start it again. While waiting for the tow truck I put my phone on charge and realized both cigarette lighters had no power, I dont know if it related or not, any ideas what to check?

alloro
06-01-2021, 08:41 AM
While waiting for the tow truck I put my phone on charge and realized both cigarette lighters had no power, I don't know if it related or not, any ideas what to check?

Start with checking the battery and charging system.

Eddy1
06-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Battery was still good. I did crank over a fair bit afterwards. Could the charging system cause this issue?

Eddy1
06-01-2021, 10:46 AM
I have noticed in the past after I let the battery go dead a few years back,(its new now) I had to get the jumper cables out and get a boost, even after the van was started if the battery wasn't strong enough when the boaster cables were removed the van would stall. Maybe this is normal for newer cars, but if i did this with my old datsuns you can remove the battery cable completely and the car would keep running, my van woundnt even run if the battery is not charged enough let alone remove the battery cable. I always thought that was odd, is this normal?

Stealthee
06-01-2021, 10:52 AM
If it's shutting off when you remove the jumper cables it sounds like the alternator isn't working. A battery in a car is mainly for starting. Once started the alternator keeps it running.

Eddy1
06-01-2021, 11:10 AM
Yes thats the way I have always known it too. But its done this for years and it does charge, once I put the new battery in it was no problem

Eddy1
06-01-2021, 12:12 PM
So I put it on charge all day, it tuns over quickly but there no sign of firing at all.

Eddy1
06-11-2021, 01:46 PM
I got some starting fluid and squirt it into the intake and no sign of a fire at all, any ideas? Hopefully you guys can offer more suggestions .

aleekat
06-11-2021, 05:52 PM
Year, model, engine?

Eddy1
06-12-2021, 07:08 AM
Sorry its a 2003 1500 van 5.9L

aleekat
06-12-2021, 08:07 AM
I got some starting fluid and squirt it into the intake and no sign of a fire at all, any ideas? Hopefully you guys can offer more suggestions .
Sounds like no spark. Maybe crank sensor?

alloro
06-12-2021, 11:43 AM
I got some starting fluid and squirt it into the intake and no sign of a fire at all, any ideas?

Pull the wire from the center of the distributor cap and use that to check for spark. Doing this cuts the distributor cap and rotor out of the equation. If there's still no spark it could be a bad ignition coil. Some places like Autozone will test the coil for you if you bring it in. If it tests good you might want to replace the crank sensor first.

Eddy1
07-13-2021, 12:58 PM
This is going a lot slower than i would like but I checked the resistance of the coil and it read between 2.8 - 2.9 oms, measured across the power input leads
thoughts?

By the way this is actually a 5.2 liter not 5.9

Eddy1
08-21-2021, 09:12 AM
Hi guys, I got my van running it seems like the coil was a big part of the problem, but once again, it will only run when I keep my foot on the pedal and keep the revs up a bit, if i take my foot off it will stall, it does show on the gauge that its charging, any ideas?

alloro
08-22-2021, 09:38 AM
it will only run when I keep my foot on the pedal and keep the revs up a bit, if i take my foot off it will stall

The IAC valve is sticking. You can take it off and try to clean it, or you can replace it.

Eddy1
08-26-2021, 05:57 AM
I got the part off, it doesn't look to great, can you tell if this could cause a problem, it does slide in and out ok, not sure if the motor is any good

alloro
08-26-2021, 08:41 AM
I got the part off, it doesn't look to great, can you tell if this could cause a problem, it does slide in and out ok, not sure if the motor is any good

Yes it looks to be in rough shape, if it were me I'd replace it. You shouldn't be able to manually slide it, so if you can it's likely broken. You should also look inside the hole it came out of. If there is any carbon build up in there get some Q-Tips and some carb cleaner to take care of cleaning it out.

Eddy1
09-04-2021, 09:19 AM
I replaced the part, it will actually idol on its own now, but when I press on the gas the engine slows down a little then will rev up and it does idol a little rough, any ides?
Thanks for all your help so far

alloro
09-05-2021, 08:59 AM
I replaced the part, it will actually idol on its own now, but when I press on the gas the engine slows down a little then will rev up and it does idol a little rough, any ides?
Thanks for all your help so far

Did you remember to disconnected the battery afterwards to clear out the ECM memory?

Eddy1
09-05-2021, 03:15 PM
No I didn't, does this have to be done? I need a smog done and I am trying to not to have to drive it around to have it ready to connect to the smog machine, if I need to do this I will.

Eddy1
09-06-2021, 08:47 AM
Gezz I dont know whats going on with this thing, I removed the battery cable for 20 minutes put it back on and it dosent seem to want to idol again, it take a bit of coaxing with the gas pedal to keep it going. whats going on with this thing?LOL

alloro
09-06-2021, 09:47 AM
it doesn't seem to want to idle again, it take a bit of coaxing with the gas pedal to keep it going. what's going on with this thing? LOL

Give it a few tries and it will eventually idle correctly.

Eddy1
09-07-2021, 09:03 AM
So i tried about 15 times and it does idol again but still boggs down then revs up when I put my foot on the gas

alloro
09-07-2021, 09:22 AM
but still bogs down then revs up when I put my foot on the gas

1. Check for low fuel pressure.
2. Check for a vacuum leak.
3.Test or replace the TPS.

Eddy1
09-07-2021, 10:21 AM
Yeah I was thinking TPS also, I will replace it and check everything else you recommend, thanks for your help

Eddy1
09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
So its still not working right, again when I push on the gas it idols down a bit then revs up, whats your thought on replacing the MAP Sensor?
then all three sensors on the throttle body are replaced.

Eddy1
09-12-2021, 12:48 PM
on my map I was getting .7 oms reading on the two outer pins and 42.3 ohms from the center pin to either side, does that side right?

Eddy1
09-21-2021, 06:05 AM
Here's a short video of my engine

https://youtu.be/Ll6RjhjNUlo

Eddy1
09-24-2021, 11:34 AM
anyone? Any ideas would be appreciated

Eddy1
10-23-2021, 09:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z20i-oG1sF8

I checked the voltage out on the TPS plug does this make sense?
I replaced the signal wire right from the PCM to the plug to make sure it wasn't shorting

Add your comment to this topic!