Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Too late to change MT fluid?

AcuraTL828
04-04-2021, 07:52 AM
So I have a 2005 acura TL manual with 260k miles. It feels notchy going from 2nd to 3rd gear and reading an Acura forum that's common when the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time.

Previous owner had the car for 7 years(80k miles) and never changed it.I don't know if it's ever been changed in its lifetime. I've seen stuff online on not changing old auto transmission fluid that hasn't been changed in a long time is it the same for a manual transmissions? I was hoping maybe if I were to change the fluid it would help it shift more smooth.

Stealthee
04-04-2021, 08:12 AM
Its not the same with a manual. Go ahead and change it. Make sure to pay attention to what is recommended. If GL-4 is recommended, stay with GL-4. Oftentimes people think GL-5 supersedes GL-4, but that's not how it works with gear oil. It's about different additives. Weight is also important too.

I bet with fresh gear oil your notchiness will all but disappear.

AcuraTL828
04-04-2021, 08:42 AM
Thank you for the answer I appreciate it. Do you know if old MT fluid could cause your RPMs to jump or is that something else? Sometimes my RPMs will jump and I don't know why. I have no check engine light or any codes coming up.

Stealthee
04-04-2021, 02:09 PM
If RPMs jump it could be slipping clutch.

Add your comment to this topic!