Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Subaru Engine timing failure - advice

FoxInSocks
06-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Hi.
Recently got a used 2007 Subaru Legacy (b4) 2L. hardly got a chance to drive it...
The other day, while driving on the highway, it just stalled on me. Stopped on the shoulders, couldnt start the engine. Apparently the timing belt slipped due to a broken bolt or something.
I understand there's a good chance the engine pistons are dead (interference engine) ??
My car shop can't estimate the survival chances, so I dont know if it's worth the money trying to fix it.
Any chances the engine survived that? Would i be wise trying to fix it, or just accept that the engine, and probably the entire car, is a goner...?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

maxwedge
06-01-2020, 03:13 PM
With the engine no longer timed, a compression test is useless. The problem with the belt must be corrected then a compression test would tell if the engine was damaged internally.

FoxInSocks
06-01-2020, 10:44 PM
With the engine no longer timed, a compression test is useless. The problem with the belt must be corrected then a compression test would tell if the engine was damaged internally.

Thanks. I assume so.
But, to fix the timing they would have to extract the snapped bolt, get a new tensioner, possibly open and inspect or replace a few valves... I'm wondering what are the chances the engine will survive after doing all that. It would be a shame to throw more money at it for nothing, and perhaps i should use that cash for an engine swap to begin with.

maxwedge
06-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Correct, it's a gamble. And another engine should have the belt done before installing.

RidingOnRailz
06-02-2020, 11:07 AM
When, and on which models, did Subaru switch from timing chains to timing belts?

Add your comment to this topic!