Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 F-250 7.3 IDI, a few major problems

ScoredRotors
12-13-2019, 01:26 AM
I recently bought an '89 F-250 with a 7.3 IDI. I guess I could learn from experience by just taking it apart but some kind of reference is always good. I'm pretty positive I know some of the issues for sure, but if you all could give some imput I would be thankful.

So, first off, excessive white smoke and loss of power. I'd say injectors but I haven't taken it apart yet. Next is that the fuel pump in the primary tank is completely non-functional. The tacometer stops working randomly and switching between the two fuel tanks for a few moments gets it to come back on. Absolutley no clue on that other than some faulty wiring. Brakes and tires are also needing replacement. If you guys have any advice on what parts I should go for or where to get them I'd like to hear it. I've worked on some gas engines but diesels are a little different.

CapriRacer
12-13-2019, 07:49 AM
WHITE smoke is likely coolant. Bluish gray smoke is likely oil. Black smoke is unburned fuel.

So it is important to know if it truly is white or perhaps a dilute bluish gray. In either case, the fixes are either expensive or time consuming. Given the age, I'll bet a complete engine rebuild is needed.

silicon212
12-27-2019, 11:29 PM
On a diesel, white 'smoke' might also indicate unburned fuel ... if there is one or more cylinders misfiring you may see this. A cold diesel engine can smoke like this until enough heat builds up in the engine for proper combustion. Bad injectors can also cause this, as can low compression.

Add your comment to this topic!