Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

removing chrome

GTRfan01
09-17-2019, 05:32 AM
Hello all,

I want to selectively remove some chrome, the inner part of a rim and leave the chrome lip.
my problem is all the chrome removing substances I've used and read about are all liquid and you soak the whole part in it. Impossible to brush on in a precise manner to do the job i want it to do.

anyone with any ideas?

im hoping to find something that is more a paint type consistency so i can brush it on where i want it.

Thanks

Kjenjak
09-17-2019, 06:03 AM
Interesting challenge…
I've never heard of any product that isn't liquid.

Have you tried masking the lip, with a masking liquid, not tape, and then soaking the part?

GTRfan01
09-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Interesting challenge…

Have you tried masking the lip, with a masking liquid, not tape, and then soaking the part?

Thanks that's a good idea, that will be the back up plan if i can't find another solution!

freakray
09-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Personally, if I've wanted a painted center I just paint over the chrome, I've never had an issue.

I'd find it hard to believe that anything that's going to remove chrome won't also remove any kind of liquid mask.

GTRfan01
09-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Personally, if I've wanted a painted center I just paint over the chrome, I've never had an issue.

I'd find it hard to believe that anything that's going to remove chrome won't also remove any kind of liquid mask.

i was very close to just painting over it like normal.
but the wheel centre is to be white, last time it took too many coats to cover properly. and these wheels will loose some detail with too much paint.
Also because the plastic under the chrome is white it made me think it would make painting much easier not having to worry about covering up with white.

malscar
09-18-2019, 03:12 AM
Interesting challenge…

Not sure that will work as the liquid once it starts lifting the chrome from the unmasked area will have access to the area under the chrome. Will just lift it off but attached to the masking agent.

MPWR
09-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't expect to find a good method to selectively remove chrome, and leave other areas intact and pristine. I'd be curious to be proven wrong, but in my experience the nature of removing chrome makes it all or nothing.

Like Freakray says, I'd mask the rim (probably with a liquid film) and paint the center. Failing that, strip the chrome, paint the center, mask, and then repaint the rim.

stevenoble
09-20-2019, 07:06 AM
If you use a white primer first over the chrome it should be relatively easy to paint the centre white..

AAlmeida
09-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Romove all chrome as usual, paint center and use Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker on lip

jayll
09-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Maybe set a container on a level surface filled with bleach (or whatever you use to strip chrome) and then dip the wheels up to the line you want to remain chrome.

pirata12
12-07-2020, 10:29 AM
Use bleach in the gel format. Paint it onto the parts you want to dechrome. Make sure it doesn't get onto the part you want to keep chromed.

I've done this with success on bike fork I wanted some chrome to remain.

Add your comment to this topic!