Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Muffler cement vs?

G84
05-19-2019, 11:04 PM
I changed out the o2 sensor on my 04 ram yesterday and it took all the strength I could muster to get it out. When it came out it brought most of the bung threads with it. So I was able to get the new o2 sensor threaded in but the damaged bung threads damaged the new o2 sensor threads. Then i went to the part store and they recommended this stuff

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/exhaust-joint-crack-sealer/6000198886099?cmpid=sem_google_en_pla_none_8694878 25_46286827120_None&gclid=CjwKCAjw_YPnBRBREiwAIP6TJ550JkgqrqpaNKCW1-yk-8B-k9dsPTOCBbjF41Alwbv7DoM3TaIfoxoCXC0QAvD_BwE

So I used it and everything's seems fine. There are 2 unknowns left however, at least that I can think of. 1. I've got the 5.7 hemi in my truck. Can this stuff take the heat from a v8. And 2. From what Ive read about these types of products they're not always as permanent as they claim to be. And I dont want to be out there fixing it all the time. So any one know if it will last holding the o2 sensor in? Thanks

Stealthee
05-20-2019, 06:13 AM
Its really not permanent at all. Your best best is to have a new bung installed.

A last ditch effort could be trying to chase the threads of the bung with a tap.

G84
05-20-2019, 12:05 PM
Its really not permanent at all. Your best best is to have a new bung installed.

A last ditch effort could be trying to chase the threads of the bung with a tap.

Yeah I know about the welding on the bung option, but I'd like to leave that to a last resort. Is there really no other product that will last that can take the heat.

G84
05-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Ok I was just thinking that I may be able to use aluminum foil around the threads of the o2 sensor to make it thicker. That should work except from what I read online the melting point of aluminum foil is 1200 degrees farenheit. Does anyone know how hot it is approximately at the sensor 2 location on a ram with 5.7 hemi? Thanks

Stealthee
05-20-2019, 05:48 PM
Aluminum foil is not going to work. Either retap the hole or have a new bung welded in.

G84
05-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Aluminum foil is not going to work. Either retap the hole or have a new bung welded in.

Ok well I could retap and use a helicoil. The problem with that is I'll have to remove the exhaust pipe and there's a crossbar under there that will be in the way. I'm sure it's not hard to remove the crossbar, but the back of the transmission is mounted to it. The only way I can see to do it would be to support the transmission with my Jack and then remove the bar. The problem I can foresee with that however is that the Jack will be in my way when working to get the exhaust pipe out. Are you familiar with the 3rd gen rams and if so Do you have any suggestions ? Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!