Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ignition problems on 94 S10

hypermaxed
05-13-2019, 10:25 PM
i was replacing a fuel pump relay on my S10 today i double checked the part #'s and it was compatible, i put everything back together. i went to start the truck and i get nothing from the ignition no crank no click. i have checked the fuses checked the battery cables cleaned them up with a wire brush still nothing from the ignition is there something i missed ? i have not tried to jump the starter yet as i have no idea where it is on this truck lol. embarrassed to admit that. any help is greatly apperciated

Blue Bowtie
05-14-2019, 06:28 AM
Is this a 134" inline or the 262 V-6?

hypermaxed
05-14-2019, 07:50 AM
262 V6 Vin Z

hypermaxed
05-14-2019, 09:08 AM
just in case you wondered, no i never put the push button start on. all wiring is oem as far as i know.

aleekat
05-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Get a voltmeter and test your battery first.

hypermaxed
05-14-2019, 10:41 PM
ok i checked the battery 12.65V, cleaned the cables. checked voltage at the dash for the ignition its getting 11.45V i checked all the grounds i could see. all my dash lights are working it seems i am getting power everywhere but the key when i turn it to start the truck.

hypermaxed
05-15-2019, 03:25 AM
on the picture the relay i replaced is the last one on the right. looking at pictures online. should i have more plugged in?

aleekat
05-15-2019, 08:57 AM
ok i checked the battery 12.65V, cleaned the cables. checked voltage at the dash for the ignition its getting 11.45V i checked all the grounds i could see. all my dash lights are working it seems i am getting power everywhere but the key when i turn it to start the truck.

So when you turn the key, do the lights dim? Did you check voltage when turning the key? Could be just coincidence that it won't crank after what you did.
Automatic? If so try starting in neutral.

hypermaxed
05-15-2019, 12:04 PM
the lights on the dash and radio shut off, i do not notice any dimming of the dome or mirror lights. when i put the truck in Neutral the key won't turn at all. key won't turn unless in park. no crank at all, i turn the key to start the truck and nothing happens. before this happened i was having issues with the truck dying and stalling out so when i had issues starting the truck one day i got a CODE 54 i looked up the problems that it could entail. so i went out and got a new fuel pump relay. before i did anything i disconnected the battery. switched the relay and hooked back up the battery. that's all

this is where i got info for the code https://repairpal.com/gm-obd-code-54

aleekat
05-15-2019, 03:51 PM
the lights on the dash and radio shut off, i do not notice any dimming of the dome or mirror lights. when i put the truck in Neutral the key won't turn at all. key won't turn unless in park. no crank at all, i turn the key to start the truck and nothing happens. before this happened i was having issues with the truck dying and stalling out so when i had issues starting the truck one day i got a CODE 54 i looked up the problems that it could entail. so i went out and got a new fuel pump relay. before i did anything i disconnected the battery. switched the relay and hooked back up the battery. that's all

Doesn't take much to light a dome/mirror light. You need to connect the voltmeter to the battery and read the voltage when trying to start.
How old is your battery?
Have you tried to jump start it with another car?

hypermaxed
05-15-2019, 04:57 PM
yes i did try to jump it with another car still no crank or start .. the battery is less than 3 months old and the volts as of this post 12.50V

aleekat
05-15-2019, 05:20 PM
https://www.aa1car.com/library/us1296.htm

hypermaxed
05-15-2019, 05:50 PM
guess i am goin to rent a steering wheel puller tomorrow to replace the ignition cylinder

brcidd
05-16-2019, 02:40 AM
As I recall- a '94 has the ignition switch on the steering column left side- driven by a push rod- no need to pull steering wheel...

Do what I would do- turn ignition on (pink wires will be energized now) then jumper (or cross up) your red wire to yellow wire on ignition switch plug---(big heavy wires) see if starter engages- if so- the bad ignition switch, if not then problem is elsewhere- as in tranny park/neutral switch.

report back..

hypermaxed
05-16-2019, 11:24 PM
i was not able to get out to work on the truck today. the wires i am looking for is it on the same plug in for the wipers and buzzer or another plug that i need to find?

hypermaxed
05-17-2019, 12:34 AM
is this the one i am looking for?

hypermaxed
05-17-2019, 01:43 AM
i stopped being lazy and went and took a pic .... this is my actual connector

Stealthee
05-17-2019, 06:19 AM

It should start in neutral, as well as park. If the key won't turn at all then there is some kind of alignment issue with the shifter.

hypermaxed
05-17-2019, 06:32 AM
funny you mention that, i can turn the key in park but when i try to turn the key in netural it won't turn at all

Stealthee
05-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Then like I said you have a shifter alignment issue. Every automatic out there should start in neutral. If the key won't turn then you're not actually in neutral.

hypermaxed
05-17-2019, 01:45 PM
so i am guessing that means getting under the truck to deal with it right?

hypermaxed
05-17-2019, 03:39 PM
ok i wasn't expecting to find this when i went out to look at my truck. please tell me i just need more vacuum line and its easy to get to the spot where it connects.

hypermaxed
05-17-2019, 07:27 PM
my bro came out and tried to help me jump it again. no power is goin from battery to ignition. yes i checked fuses.

hypermaxed
05-17-2019, 07:40 PM
would the funny plastic key anti theft or whatever it is have anything to do with it not starting? if so is there a reset to that ?

hypermaxed
05-17-2019, 08:50 PM
ok i got rid of the plastic key thingy, still no start and found out on my model the NSS is on the column so i am just gonna start replacing and see if i can get it to start after that.

brcidd
05-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Is your "security" light on - on the instrument cluster? Does your OEM key have a resistor chip imbedded in it? You may have a broken security wire.

Security light should come on when ignition is switched on, they go out in about 3-5 seconds. If on continuously, or flashing, this is your issue.

Security systems (Passlock I) like yours, are often bypassed, by soldering in the proper resistor - bypassing the chip in the key.

hypermaxed
05-18-2019, 02:33 PM
i went out today with my handy dandy tester and all the wires that should start the truck are hot. the red is constant 12 the purple is 12v with key in start. i don't know if i have the screw in type if i do. i have no idea where it is. mine looks like a little white piece on top of the column and the ignition wires go to it. still frustrated but i will figure this out :)

hypermaxed
05-18-2019, 05:55 PM
alright i am stuck, i have taken alot of my dash apart and other stuff. can anyone tell me simply where the harness with the screw is? unless they tucked it up under the dash by the radio or further i can't see it. i have watched videos where its right there. i know what the harness should look like. if not i guess i will take everything apart piece by piece til i find it very very frustrated right now.

hypermaxed
05-18-2019, 06:35 PM
i apologize if i have got anyone mad cause i thought i knew what i was talking about. i am not a mechanic or a tech so i truly do appreciate everyone and their help. as for it not going in neutral all that was is the lil cable that goes to my indicator is getting old and not showing the right gear all the time

hypermaxed
05-19-2019, 01:05 AM
thank you all for the suggestions and help, my friend came over and got the starter out. turns out it was bad and i was over thinking it. i will have to get a new one tomorrow. i just wanted to say this case is closed.

Add your comment to this topic!