Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter?

JRSpann
01-24-2019, 06:15 PM
The starter on my '98 K1500 quit working. I cleaned the battery terminals and charged the battery, but still only a solenoid click when I turn the key. Are there any other tests I need to run before I pull the starter?

Tech II
01-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Make sure the bat terminal connections, pos and neg, are CLEAN and TIGHT....

The same for the starter connections....

If ok, and you get bat voltage( I like to use a test light) at the purple wire to the solenoid, with the key in the crank position, then you need starter/solenoid....

JRSpann
01-24-2019, 09:44 PM
OK. I'll check that in the morning. Thanks!

JRSpann
01-25-2019, 04:30 PM
Now I'm really bumfuzzled. When I went to check the cranking voltage, it started. Nothing like an intermittent problem to mess with my mind (or what's left of it). I tried it a few times throughout the day, and it started every time.

777stickman
01-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Now I'm really bumfuzzled. When I went to check the cranking voltage, it started. Nothing like an intermittent problem to mess with my mind (or what's left of it). I tried it a few times throughout the day, and it started every time.

Another reason to check connections as Tech ll stated.

brcidd
01-26-2019, 03:34 AM
My 99 Yukon acted as did yours-- I wiggled the purple start wire at the solenoid connection and it started-- so take off that eyelet connection- clean it to bare metal and clean the post surface it attaches to- and grease it with some dialectric grease and be happy.

Note- it really helps that I have a remote starter- I can command a start while under the truck and don't need a helper!!

Add your comment to this topic!