Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power steering pump

07-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Hi, I replace power steering pump on 2000 Buick Park Avenue. Refilled reservoir to level. Used block to block system with car front raise and engine not running. A lot of air bubbles came out. Air bubbles stopped. Car steers just fine if I’m moving slow or faster. At a dead stop the car is very hard to turn steering wheel. Any suggestions.
Thanks for any ideas.

Blue Bowtie
07-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Depending on how the old pump failed, there may be damage to the rack. It could also be the replacement pump pressure relief is too low.

07-03-2018, 09:09 AM
The power steering pump was replaced because of a leaking seal. The last year or so the power steering would sometimes wine when I started to turn right from starting out. I would stop the turn and start over and the wine always would stop. The wine would sometimes happen and sometimes not. It seem to wine more often lately.
So is this pump pressure relief item part of the power steering pump or a separate item?

Tech II
07-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Agree with Blue, you probably got a bad rebuild.....

Does this have MSVA, aka Magnasteer? If your rack at the spool valve has an electrical harness coming off it, you do....

brcidd
07-04-2018, 07:58 AM
At one time there was a TSB fix to drill out the high pressure outlet of the pump a few more thousandths-- I did that to mine and it worked wonders...

07-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Agree with Blue, you probably got a bad rebuild.....

Does this have MSVA, aka Magnasteer? If your rack at the spool valve has an electrical harness coming off it, you do....

Its the base model PA and has the Grand Touring option.

07-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Depending on how the old pump failed, there may be damage to the rack. It could also be the replacement pump pressure relief is too low.

I saw this info on a Rock Auto vendor site.

HOW TO FREE A STUCK PRESSURE VALVE
1. Remove the pressure line from the power steering pump.
2. Remove the pressure fitting that the pressure line threads into.
3. Push on the valve that is located behind the pressure fitting. It will be spring
loaded, so you should feel it push back once it is moving.
4. After the valve is moving freely reinstall the pressure fitting, then the pressure line.
5. Follow bleeding instructions. Make sure ignition system is disabled when bleeding the system. If the vehicle is running the valve may get stuck again if air passes by it. If it does repeat this procedure.
If you have any questions, or need technical assistance please call Lares Corporation 1-800-334-5749.

Tech II
07-04-2018, 04:52 PM
Does the spool valve at the rack have an electrical connector?

07-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Does the spool valve at the rack have an electrical connector?

Yes it has the electrical connector.

Stealthee
07-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Electrical connector on the rack would indicate Magnasteer. Just because it's a base model doesn't mean it wouldn't have it.

Tech II
07-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Magnasteer provides the assist when the car is not moving.......as the car picks up speed, magnasteer gives less assist, so that you have a more road feel...basically so it's not loosey goosey at high speeds....

So the fact your power steering is ok when the car is moving, but not at a stop or at low speeds, you could have a magnasteer problem....check to make sure the harness from the rack is connected on the driver's side just above the center of the wheel well....

The EBCM controls this....you may need a scan tool capable of reading"C", or chassis codes...

Was this a problem before the pump was changed? If no, and the harness connector was not touched, it could still be the "new" pump.....

07-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Electrical connector on the rack would indicate Magnasteer. Just because it's a base model doesn't mean it wouldn't have it.

The PA had the Grand Touring option which has Magnasteer as part of the package.

07-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Was this a problem before the pump was changed? If no, and the harness connector was not touched, it could still be the "new" pump.....

The problem just started after this pump was installed.

Add your comment to this topic!