Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

slow to start and other things

gw84
04-29-2018, 08:20 PM
my 93 3.1L had been running a bit rough so I took it to my mechanic where it sat for quite awhile. He was leery of fixing what he thought was wrong because he said that [whatever it was] is easily broken when working on it. It was a sensor or something, I really can't remember.

It's just very sluggish to drive, lacks power, almost shakes.

It also has to be jumped in order to start. It has to sit, connected to another vehicle for a good 5 minutes, but will eventually start, but is very slow to start, you can hear it turning over several times before it finally starts. Does this sound like the starter is going out as well as a battery that needs replacing?

Thoughts on the running rough? Clogged cat. perhaps? Sorry I can't remember what my mechanic originally said, just that it has a tendency to break when working on it (could be because my car is so rusted out LOL)

Blue Bowtie
04-30-2018, 07:05 AM
If the starter is cranking the engine too slowly, that can indicate a weak starter, excessive engine friction (drag), or low voltage. If the voltage is low, starting may take several revolutions since spark energy and injector operation would also be affected. If there is excessive engine friction that may be related to the rough running. It could be related to the hard starting. or it could be coincidence.

Schurkey
04-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Your "mechanic" is an idiot. Find someone else. Pretty-much ANYONE else.

Tech II
04-30-2018, 08:06 PM
I agree with Shurkey.....

It sounds like you have several things wrong with the vehicle........

First thing, make sure your bat cable connections are clean and tight...then you are going to have to have your battery and charging system tested, as Blue suggested....

But you are on a slippery slope here.......25 year old car.......to fix or not to fix, that is the question....it can easily become a money pit.....

Add your comment to this topic!