Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP!! I have a socket STUCK on a lugnut

Philly Dave
11-07-2017, 02:43 PM
I had the brakes replaced on my 2013 Honda Accord LX, the mechanic broke the McGard key off on one of the locking nuts. He then employed a common technique of using a socket on the locking nuts to remove them. This worked well until the final locking lug-nut, and I guess by then the socket was worn out. The socket is now on the lug-nut, it will turn, but it is only spinning on the McGard lock, and will not bite into it enough to turn it. I can turn the socket and even move it up and down, side to side with an extension bar, BUT IT WILL NOT COME OFF. I took it to a garage where they tried using a slap hammer on it to no avail.

I'm hoping that someone can offer some advice on how to get this socket off without damaging the wheel. I sorta kinda can't use the car, because I'm afraid that if I have a flat with that tire I'm really up the creek.

I have tried cutting into the socket with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel, hoping to either expose the McGard lock again, or opening up the socket enough to chisel it partially off - this didn't work at all because the socket is sitting so flush to the wheel opening that I couldn't cut all the way down, and I broke 3 chisels trying to extend the cut...the reps at McGard are great, I sent them a Hi-Res photo of the locking nut and they will send out a replacement key for a nominal amount.

I've even entertained the thought of having an eye hook welded to the socket and using a come-along to pull it off. I can get vice grips to lock onto it, but it would take Hercules to pull it off.

Another consideration was drilling into the McGard and using an extractor, but I was told that wouldn't work being that the McGard lug nut wasn't actually solid.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave :runaround:

aleekat
11-10-2017, 11:27 AM
What about a threaded "slide hammer" with a nut welded to the socket?

joaa
11-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Up to you but before I would bugger up my rim I would drill right down the center of the stud starting with a small bit and getting bigger until the stud pops the nut off with the bit.

Add your comment to this topic!