Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transfer case 2004 Z71 4x4 Chevy tahoe

Nashncindy
10-11-2017, 12:54 AM
We installed 2000 suburban transfer case in our 2004 Z71 4x4 Chevy tahoe and our Tahoe still won't run. The encoder motor is the only difference in the transfer case. My husband the encoder motor so it would work and reinstalled the transfer case. Started the Tahoe up and still won't go anywhere. When shifting back to park, reverse makes an awful noise. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Blue Bowtie
10-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Why was the transfer case replaced? What are/were the symptoms?

Nashncindy
10-12-2017, 10:32 PM
We bought a used transfer case from a 2000 suburban. We was told it would work. After installed it wouldn't run. We put it in every gear and nothing except when I passed reverse to put in park, it made a terrible noise. We uninstalled the transfer case. We found the only difference is the encoder motor so he fixed that or we thought that was the issue but maybe this transfer case is no good as well. Could it be the pump that's bad in this one or the encoder motors being different just not work period and you have to buy a new encoder motor??? I don't know, I'm just learning all of this myself. Hopefully what I've posted makes sense. Thank you for replying!

j cAT
10-22-2017, 06:35 PM
the problem is this !!! why did you replace the 2004 transfer case ?

so who trouble shot this 2004 transfer case before you got a 2000 transfer case ?

with little info from you my guess is wiring problems or the transfer case fluid was not properly maintained. this will cause failures.

transfer case should be the same if 1500 ..

joaa
11-16-2017, 06:42 AM
Will it roll in park? The noise might be the transmission trying to go back into park while freewheeling if the transfer case isn't linked up or in neutral.

Add your comment to this topic!