Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Control arm steering knuckle

tkswan
08-12-2017, 11:25 AM
2002 Lincoln LS V8 248k miles.

The OEM transmission finally quit so I had a certified transmission installed. A Ford dealership did the work. The new transmission is a beast. So much so that I think the original was a dud.

So these cars are notorious for front end noise and knocking, but recently it got worse. I replaced the bearings because I needed bearings anyway, one was howling. The noise (specifically the front left wheel) was still noisy lots of knocking.

I took it to my car guy. He actually installed new front left and right side upper and lower control arms a couple of years ago. Today he right away saw that the left control arm is loose and too damaged to be repaired. So I need a new left steering knuckle and upper control arm.

Car guy asked me if I had any work done. I told him about the transmission and he suspects that Ford did not re tighten that control arm bolt.

And my question is:

...when installing a transmission in this car, does the procedure require that the control arms or any other suspension parts, get removed or messed with?

Thank you.

shorod
08-15-2017, 06:45 AM
Per the factory service manual, no suspension components front or rear need to be removed to remove and replace the transmission.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!